What's your scariest movie of ALL TIME!!

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

What's your scariest movie of ALL TIME!!

Post by HereComesPete »

You can read can't you?

Justify your choice if you want, or just throw it out there and see what happens.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Glitter

or possibly

Showgirls
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

deject wrote:Glitter

or possibly

Showgirls
The horror, the horror.

As mentioned in previous thread, Jaws plugged directly into the primal fear part of my brain. I don't like the sea, and I liked it even less after seeing the film.

I also thought Event Horizon was pretty scary, and I don't really get scared by films.
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

The Bride of Chucky. I was pissed, stoned and paranoid when I saw it - freaked me right the fuck out.

Also, I'd go with Event Horizon too. Not seen it for ages, but I seem to recall it being creepy as hell.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

As previously mentioned, The Shining freaked me right out and remains the scariest film I've seen. The Ring also scared the shit out of me, before J-Horror became passe.
Jackinabox
Kitten
Kitten

Post by Jackinabox »

Was happy that the descent was pretty spooky. Nice to keep a Brit Horror in the big leagues, shame about the sequel, anyone seen?
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Dog Pants wrote: The Ring also scared the shit out of me, before J-Horror became passe.
Same here, tv and land line were unplugged and mobile had battery taken out before I went to sleep that night
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

The Grudge freaked me the fuck out at the cinema at the time.

The Ring made me turn my portable TV to face the wall, lolz.

Paranormal Activity is probably the scariest film I've ever seen though, stayed with me for a while after.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I'm repeating myself from another thread but I watched The Thing on Bluray recently and it's still a great film. The special effects don't suffer under HD scrutiny, still as nasty as ever. When the head detaches and turn into a spider-type-thing, with all the noises it makes, extremely unnerving.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Dog Pants wrote:The Ring also scared the shit out of me, before J-Horror became passe.
:above: worked just right on me.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

The Thing is brilliant. Paranoid and claustrophobic. It builds fantastic tension and is definately among my favourite films, but I didn't find it scary as such. I love the comment one guy makes in the head scene when it crawls off under the table; "you've got to be fucking kidding".
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:The Ring also scared the shit out of me, before J-Horror became passe.
Totally this. I lost a lot of sleep due to that fucker.

My Aunt, after watching the DVD, took it into the back garden and set it on fire. She is a bit weird though.
Sheriff Fatman
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Sheriff Fatman »

TezzRexx wrote:The Grudge
This was the first J-horror film I watched and it caught me off guard, had me almost reaching for the remote. Other non-Japanese stuff generally just makes me jump here and there, but that film was genuinely fucking creepy.

This wee shite still gives me goosebumps.

Last edited by FatherJack on June 15th, 2013, 22:01, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed racial epithet
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

That picture's creeping me out. The thing I like about J-Horror is the thing that makes it Japanese - there's no happy ending, no magic thing to make the monster all nice again, or make it go away. The ghosts are just evil, malicious bastards, and because they're ghosts they'll always be there and always be evil, malicious bastards.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Although not technically a film, this still scared the living piss out of me when I was a kid

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx-lH9Iw0CE[/media]
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I think the cats were the last bit of that I saw. My sister and I both legged it across the road to my auntie's house after that because our parents weren't in.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Also not a film, but the finale of Twin Peaks disturbed me for years. Still have recurring dreams about this bit:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rjJ51N7qZY[/media]

There are no decent clips on YouTube of the scenes from the Black Lodge, but they really did terrify the shit out of me.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

The first film I remember getting to me was House. There's a simple set of scenes involving a built-in-wardrobe door being pulled open. Sometimes it's a gateway to hell with scary devils bursting through, but sometimes...it's just a cupboard.

The most recent was Paranormal Activity. Again the simple, domestic scenes - you start to get comfortable despite knowing there's going to be a scare. But rather than the Boo! right in your face, it's a uuhhh-WTF hairs-back-of-the-neck creepiness.

In-between was Ringu, Dark Water and A Tale of Two Sisters, all Japanese and all pushing the spine-shivering buttons of the everyday gone a bit weird.

For me it's not the jump-scares or the gore*, but that cold tingle that starts at the back of your neck and trickles down your back.

*Effects of this vary, while parts of Pet Semetary, Gozu and Hellraiser made me feel faintly sick on first viewing, Ichi and Tetsuo were fascinating, Saw/Hostel etc were boring, the Cannibals were unpleasant for the wrong reasons, Amityville and Halloween were...arousing and of course Devil's Rejects/Braindead were hugely comical.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

I find most so-called 'horror' movies to be the best comedy around. They're so gratuitously overdone its laughable. Ironically the one film that scared the shit out of me was Ghostbusters. The screaming old lady in the library shat me up for years.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Get her!