Eclipse Phase: Devoted

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Eclipse Phase: Devoted

Post by Dog Pants »

DCOM wrote:Do you know what would be the most likely way a group of hired guns would attract such opportunities?
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Pyrrhos wrote:Present yourselves as mercenaries, prove yourself tough in some way and the offers are likely to come your way. Without more up to date information I am afraid I cannot be more specific than that.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I'll take that as no more questions then.

You are given directions to a shuttle that will take you up to a transport ship which will, in turn, take you to a rendezvous point where the Dasmos is waiting for you (It would have take months to get there directly from Titan in a shuttle). Pyrrhos wishes you good luck before leaving, as does the Prof. Anyone want to do anything planetside before you leave?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

My morph is still on Locus. Do I get a TV on a trolley like Holly in Queeg?
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

:lol: You can do! Or you can try getting a loaner. Failing that, Pyrrhos will make sure your morph is transported to the rendezvous.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

I'm not aware of needing anything more. Og og og!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'll go for option C please. My manky synth will fit right in.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Righto then. The transport that has been arranged to get you to the Dasmos is pretty standard and the trip uneventful, so I wont go into detail on that. When you arrive, some of the crew give you a bit of a funny look when you leave to get on your ship. The reason for the funny look is obvious once you get to see the ship yourself.

You dont know where it came from or what has happened to it, but the thing is a serious mess. It will certainly be convincing for your "We are in distress and require emergency landing for repairs" cover story. Assuming it makes it to Legba without exploding or snapping in half, that is.

The Dasmos is (or more accurately, was) a small long range transport shuttle, designed to take 2-6 passengers on interplanetary journeys with reasonable comfort. Most of the computer systems have only minimal damage, but the life support, engines and power plant are badly messed up. Its not clear what caused the damage, but some sort of high speed impact looks to be the most likely. You can do me a relevant tech skill roll if you want to know more about the damage to the ship.

The navigation system appears to be working fine though, and there is a course plotted in already for Legba which is, according to the computer, the nearest place capable of taking your ship in and the only place within range that has any chance of having the parts you would need to repair things.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Life support? Pah, who needs that. I don't think I have any techie skills but maybe it's best to leave it nackered anyway.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Unlabelled pulls a screwdriver from somewhere, taps the ship and sucks air through his teeth

Can have techy skill lookup pls because France

Roll(1d100)+0:
43,+0
Total:43
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I'll take your Hardware: Electronics skill for this as it is the closest fit. Thats 50, so with a little negative for it not being the right skill but a positive for you having plenty of time to take a look, consult reference documents on the mesh etc, I'll take that as a pass.

The damage was definitely done by an impact, looks like it might have been a collision with another ship.

Life support has enough air for the two of you that breathe to keep you going about 10 hours. Legba would only be about 5 hours away under normal conditions, but one of the engines is too badly gone to use (unless you want to arrive at Legba as a fireball) and you are worried that running the power at anything above half its recommended output could make it fail entirely. If you turn the heat right down, the lights off, and run on one engine you should be able to make Legba in 8-9 hours. You will be a bit chilly and the air will have started to smell bad, but you'll be alive.

At least it won't be hard to convince anyone of your cover story. Not the bit about needing emergency docking anyway.

On to Legba then?
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Usagi wrote:It smells bad already.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Chrimble break over, lets go to Legba!

After an uncomfortable but uneventful journey you approach Legba. Its a pretty big place. The original structure was built inside an asteroid that had been hollowed out by mining, but that was a long time ago. Legba has since been added to multiple times in a not particularly organised fashion. There are habs, cargo containers and interconnecting passages running around various parts of it. The central rocky structure is stationary but you can see a couple of the larger hab sections sticking out the side are spun for artificial gravity. The whole thing is a little under 4km long and 3km wide, with the large airlock doors to enter the dry dock roughly central.

As you approach, your ships onboard computers signal the docking systems on Legba, passing on codes identifying the ship as an Ultimate merc ship from Aspis in need of emergency repairs. The Legba docking systems respond, but then a radio message comes through.
Docking guy wrote:Ultimates ship Dasmos, this is Legba flight control. Who the fuck are you and what the fuck do you want?
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Unlabelled back to radio guy wrote:Wow, sampeyan kudu wis ndhuwur kelas pengamatan karo skills iku. Deleng ing request lan njupuk guess kurang ajar
Do I need to do a diplomacy or rep roll for that?

Also in such times as my Javanese is likely to be auto-translated should I put it in English too?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I love this place already.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Docking Guy wrote:Where and how did you pick up that damage?
Yeah, chuck a diplomacy roll in there. You can try your rep too (although obviously the others cant without giving away that they are not Ultimates).

Google Translate seems to be managing well enough, but if something does get badly mangled you might want to stick the English in too.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

I was thinking more for the ease of the other guys who may get the translation sometimes so they don't need to look it up if they really want to know what I just said
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

fabyak wrote:I was thinking more for the ease of the other guys who may get the translation sometimes so they don't need to look it up if they really want to know what I just said
Well, I guess our autotranslators/muses work pretty much like Google translate - so you could just paste that in for us, or let us (as players) do that ourselves (up to you) as in character that's what we'd be "hearing".

If it does get mangled in the process then it would be up to our characters to request clarification either from our muses or the horse's mouth. Your character wouldn't necessarily know it translated badly.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

FatherJack wrote: Well, I guess our autotranslators/muses work pretty much like Google translate - so you could just paste that in for us, or let us (as players) do that ourselves (up to you) as in character that's what we'd be "hearing".

If it does get mangled in the process then it would be up to our characters to request clarification either from our muses or the horse's mouth. Your character wouldn't necessarily know it translated badly.
This is exactly true. The autotranslation provided by your muse is very much like google translate, so using google does simulate quite well the problems with using your muse rather than learning the language.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Not sure which skill I need, but I think I probably passed

Roll(1d100)+0:
14,+0
Total:14