Space Engineers

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

Space Engineers

Post by Joose »

For those of you that were not around for Frigames: I have a Space Engineers server! Its a bit fiddly and complicated and very easy to kill yourselves and destroy things by accident, so I thought a post with the server details plus some Top Tips would be a good idea. So here it is!

First off, server details. The in game server browser is a bit bollocksed so you will need to use the Steam server browser. Go to Steam, View, Servers or right click on the Steam icon in the system tray and hit Servers. Select the Favouorites tab, hit Add Server and enter 77.111.245.240:27016. After a bit of farting around the server should come up, just hit connect to launch space engineers and log on to the server. Be patient, the map download is slow and the actual logging in is slower.

TOP TIPS FOR LESS DEATH

Turn on Inertial Dampeners. Z key does this. Without them you will hurtle around at ludicrous speeds, uncontrollably bashing into things. This will break ships and kill yourself (and potentially anyone you crash into).

When you are heading towards something, don't head straight at it. Even with dampeners on you will still have some inertia, and its often hard to judge how far away from things you are before stuff starts to crumple.

Ships engines melt things. Try not to get too close to stuff, and if you find yourself close by accident dont thrust directly away from them.

Keep an eye on suit power. If it starts to get low, head to a medical station or a control chair/cockpit to recharge.

Logging out counts as dying for some reason. Make sure to empty your inventory before you leave.

Join the 5punk faction (hit I, go to the Faction tab) otherwise you cant access any of the group built stuff.

Theres probably a bunch more tips, as this game is complicated as balls, but that should do for now. Feel free to add more here/ask how to do stuff. Im not a great ship designer, but ive played enough to have a decent idea how most things work.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Re: Space Engineers

Post by Joose »

For those who were playing on Friday:

I have finished off the conveyor pipe system, so now you should be able to access every inventory from any machine, ore should flow through to the refineries automatically and refined stuff should flow through to the assemblers automatically. Note the "should".

I've left the communal cargo container unconnected from the system, because that could cause problems/confusion.

Ive also attached a connector to the mining ship we completed and a connector to the ore dump on top of the second refinery. Line them up until the indicator goes yellow and press p to lock it together. You can then drag and drop from the ships inventory to the cargo container inventory.

On that note, it turns out that the big cargo connector connection to the refinery totally was working, it just doesnt drag new ore in to the refinery until the refinery starts to run low, which it was never getting close to doing. So from now on you can just dump ore into the big cargo containainter and the pipes should take care of everything. Hopefully.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Yay! Excellent work! Anyone up for some more space enginerears tonight?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I could ear some space engines. I've been grabbing a moment here and there in SP today but I seem to exist in a universe with no nickel.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I could spacken gears, depends on wifey though.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Logging out counts as dying for some reason. Make sure to empty your inventory before you leave.
You need to build yourself a med clone bay (powered). But before building one, be sure to grind the one in your respawn ship first. This will set your respawn point up and logging out will no longer count as dying.

This game is awesome. I'd love to play with some 5punky shenanigans.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

So I finished my space tank, it's ugly but it should withstand a few blasts. When I try to fly it I get the overload message, does this mean I need to put in more reactors?

Also, the guy in the tutorial video is from the Czech Republic. Just thought I should point that out.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I found out how to paint your ship. With a block in your hand select your colour with P and middle click. Easy. Also, SHIFT+P sets your current colour to the one you're pointing at.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Mr. Johnson wrote:When I try to fly it I get the overload message, does this mean I need to put in more reactors?
Very yes. If you run with the ship saying overload for too long it will go off bang. Im not sure whether it is a matter of running overloaded for a certain amount of time or running too far into overload (as in 101% might be safe and it only blows when you hit 110% or something). Either way, overload risks bangs, add more reactors. Or replace your little ones with one big one.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Is this worth buying then?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Seems popular. I've been telling anyone who asks that it's a bit like Tekkit without the Minecraft. But in space. There's not a huge amount to do at the moment, but it's pretty satisfying. If they keep adding to it then it could become great.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Also, FFS don't let Pnut fly anything!

Also get this:

http://skybox.xaelan.com/index.php?page=view&id=24

Unzip and and put it here:

SteamApps\common\SpaceEngineers\Content\Textures\BackgroundCube\Final

More can be found here: http://skybox.xaelan.com/

Edit: dw pnut, all is saved. Space friction stopped my beast spinning eventually and things are back on track!
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I decided to test my ship against a convoy and I'm deeply saddened to say Terrorpin I is lost to the stars. :sniff:

Seriously though, all that heavy armour and all it took was one rocket to blow up my ship. Ridiculous.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Mr. Johnson wrote:I decided to test my ship against a convoy and I'm deeply saddened to say Terrorpin I is lost to the stars. :sniff:

Seriously though, all that heavy armour and all it took was one rocket to blow up my ship. Ridiculous.
Rocket? What did you go after? The smaller ships dont pack rockets.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

There might have been military presence...
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Anyway, my new ship will be bigger, better and will turn even the most stoic and brave space faring men into a quivering mess when they see the fearsome hulk* that will be Terrorpin II. Someone get me some 80's montage music!

*Will stay within small ship limits. Sort of.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I have started building a new mining ship, called the Drillinator. Its big and green. Don't turn it on, its not finished and will almost certainly go bang or smash into the station at high speed or both.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I built an inexpensive, simple fighter today. I just tested it.

It's lucky it was simple and inexpensive. :)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'm thinking of a design for a manned torpedo. Small, lots of forward thrust, warhead on the front. I might need volunteers to fly it.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Will you accept nominations?