WarMachine Tactics

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

WarMachine Tactics

Post by Dog Pants »

This is a turn based tactical game I backed years ago on Kickstarter, which was finally opened up to backers yesterday. It's based on a tabletop wargame which I've never played, but which attracted me. The premise is nice, it's pretty steampunk (which is old goggle-banded hat now, admittedly) and some kind of wizards control big stompy robots in battle, along with your usual troops. I've seen blog commenters variously praise it for being better than Warhammer, and criticise it for being a rip-off of Warhammer. That sounds overall positive for me.

I played the first mission twice last night. That's not a good start - I had to play it twice because it CTDd at the end both time, so I'll have to play it at least once more. It's not quick either, thanks to a clunky and unintuitive GUI. They really should have played XCOM before designing it. The rest of it, level design, story, and so on, is mediocre at best. So not a recommendation at the moment, and possibly something which will only be lapped up by fans of the tabletop game. It has a nice setting though, and I'm assuming it's still in beta, so maybe they'll improve all of this because the basic battle mechanics are sound and the units are interesting.