Spackers! (Sounds emitting things)

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Spackers! (Sounds emitting things)

Post by friznit »

Hello 5punkers. I have had some Cambridge Soundworks DTT2200 5.1 speakers for over 15 years and they've been excellent. Sadly it seems the pot on the volumator is going, which is giving rage inducing volume spikes. All the other bits are in fine fettle. I've been unable to find spare parts and am no dab hand with a soldering iron. I attempted eBay to find some cheapish replacements but it just seems to be a waiting game followed by spam bidding in the last 30 mins which is also rage inducing, so I sacked that off pretty quickly. I think I may have run out of 'fix it' options and have to bite the bullet and buy some new speackers. What would 5punk recommend?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Spackers! (Sounds emitting things)

Post by Dog Pants »

God, my speakers are as old as yours. I've no idea, but I'm interested in seeing what people come up with.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Amusingly, I too have the same set of speakers and the same problem.
I thought was down to a rather old sound card but as I got a new one a couple of months back and the problem persists I suspect I have the issue as Fwiz, which I hadn't actually considered was speaker related until now.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

GoogleFu says it's a fairly common problem with these spearkers when they get old. It also then goes on to talk about pots, resistors and solder, which scares me a bit. Mind you, since the only alternative is to bin the speakers and buy new, I have little to lose by fucking it up trying to fix things.
Buy:
1-wires to connect components
2-potentiometer B20k or B30k
3-two 15k resistors
4-switch

You need to desolder the old potentiometer in the vol control box, then follow the steps below.

If you put the old poteniometer with legs facing up and the vol control rod to your right, you will see 3 columns of pins. From left to right

1st column : the two pins positions are the switch(on/off)
2nd column: The three pins positions are connected to the new potentiometer(make sure middle pin connected to middle hole)
3rd column: the three pins positions are connected to the two 15k resistor. one bwtween the top hole and middle hole and another one between the middle and bottom hole
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

Hmm.
I expect if you look in the right places you'll be able to get a direct replacement for the faulty pot. without having to mess with adding switches or resistors. Something like thismaybe, which should make removing the old one and swapping for a new one pretty simple.

I have a new fancypants soldering iron, and a rough idea of how to use it. Happy to help if you fancy, and you aren't too far away are you Friz, still in Ealing?
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Moved to West Drayton but may well take you up on the offer. If anything it'd be an excuse for a beer or two. I'll see if I can find the parts.

Edit: fuck knows if that thing you linked is what I need, but bought anyway
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

Ah, well i expected to check its the right size etc before you ordered! But hopefully its pretty much the right thing. Let me know when it arrives and can sort out a drunken soldering evening. (The best way to fix knackered electronics).

/edit Oh and if it works can do the same thing on Buzz's knob. Fnar fnar
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Meh, only a fiver. If it's wrong it can sit on the shelf as a testament to my ignorance.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

A spikey wiggly thing arrived in the post today. I also received the new pot doohicky. It look at first sight like it'll fit inside the casing of the volumator. I'm hesitant to go on the offensive with my driver of screws for fear of reprisals, so for now I shall establish an observation post and watch out for any sudden movements.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

Excellent job sah. Time to discuss offensive tactics over a beer. You fancy popping over on Sunday?
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Unfortunately away this weekend. You around next weekend?
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

Yeah should be fine on sat I think.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Working brilliantly Prof. Many thanks for fixing!
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

Good stuff!
no bother and happy to help
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

So, I definitely need to fix mine now :)

Anyone got a part number for the correct pot? Soldering's easy, I just need the actual pot.