Yo DJ, drop that software

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Yo DJ, drop that software

Post by Dog Pants »

We've a few musical types here haven't we? I'm looking for software which I can use to mix dance music. I think I've asked this before but never quite found what I'm after. I've had some success with VirtualDJ, but that seems to be all about live mixing. Since I'm not a DJ, I just want to mix my music for my own listening pleasure, I'm more interested in something I can set up and play around with before recording. Anyone any suggestions?
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Yo DJ, drop that software

Post by FatherJack »

What sort of thing are you wanting to do, just beat-match tracks to a create one long mix of songs or do more complex stuff like removing vocals or creating remixed versions or mash-ups?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Just beat matching pretty much. I had a play around with VirtualDJ again on Saturday and can do it okay live, but with only one audio output I can't listen in on the next track before I fade it in, so it's pot-luck as to whether it sounds any good.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

The program I used to use for this (dssdj) is now FutureDecks DJ pro, costs quite a bit and looks rather different. More similar to what I remember is Ultramixer.

You can basically arse around in it until you've got a basic list order that seems to work, then do it for real after pressing the Record button. Unfortunately the only version that has a free option (2.4.6-free) lacks the sync option - used for beat matching and BPM-calculating. Later versions have much improved interfaces and the cheapest editions (home) can probably do everything you need, but I only saw options to buy v4 home at £40 - but the paid-for v3 and v2 versions have all the functionality you're likely to need if you can find a way to buy them. You can demo any version (number or type) for 60 minutes as much as you want.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I used to use DSSDJ before I switched to VirtualDJ. I'm assuming it was that free version. I don't mind lack of beat matching - I'd rather do it myself anyway. I might check out one of the demos, 60 mins is enough for a CD for the car. Not that I mind paying £40 if it does the job, but I'd want to be comfortable with it before I did.