Computer parts bitches!

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Computer parts bitches!

Post by HereComesPete »

So, I received a wind fall paycheck this month and I also received numerous CTD and BSOD. Looks like his noodly appendage is both giving and taking.

I've lost touch with the best in components, but I've had a quick look and it seems team blue/green are generally winning on CPU and GPU fronts. Anyone care to enlighten me further?

Also, SSD is a serious consideration as they look much cheaper, I take it the issue of life span that affected the early models is now a non-issue?

Speculative at the moment whilst I poke things to see if jam and tape can't get this thing back to warp speed.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Re: Computer parts bitches!

Post by buzzmong »

GPU wise, RPS thinks the red team are actually winning:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04 ... card-2014/

As for SSD's, yes and no. I don't own one (yet, will do shortly I think) and from reading they've certainly got a lot longer lifespan before they start generally start erroring, now into 5 to 7 year range for the newer stuff. Which is fine and on par with the warranties of normal HDD drives, but the caveat is when SSD's go wrong, it's always near enough immediately fatal. You don't get the graceful failure off HDD's (nor the easy-ish data recovery).

They're awesome for system drives, just not great for document/savegame storage.
Killavodka
Cheese Lord
Cheese Lord

Post by Killavodka »

I have also been looking to throw money at Ebuyer for a well earned upgrade, I even made a list!

http://www.ebuyer.com/lists/list/337931

Already bought an SSD but if you fuckers could give any feedback I would give generously :rectum:
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Killavodka wrote:I have also been looking to throw money at Ebuyer for a well earned upgrade, I even made a list!

http://www.ebuyer.com/lists/list/337931

Already bought an SSD but if you fuckers could give any feedback I would give generously :rectum:
I have that case, and it's pretty badass.

Your part selection looks good as well. An Nvidia 770 GTX could be an alternative GPU but outside of that I have no comments to add.
Killavodka
Cheese Lord
Cheese Lord

Post by Killavodka »

Thanks for the input, deject. Was torn myself, but I suppose either card will do my system justice without bankrupting me! Might order it tonight and test the upper limits of my credit card :roll: