Beardy Return - World of Darkness

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Beardy Return - World of Darkness

Post by The Shutting Downs »

So, I have my notes for an Old World of Darkness game (I like the setup better than NWoD, and I have more of the books as pdf's)

It's Sabbat based, but not in a 'burn/maim/destroy' way, actually focusing on the setup of the Sword of Cain crazy gehenna doomsday sect.

Any takers? If I can get an idea of some numbers I will post rules I am going by.
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Re: Beardy Return - World of Darkness

Right, Bit more.

I have the main setup of the game to be acted out in the Midlands (exciting locations are us!), PC's will be given the stats to create a bog standard person and the embrace will be set out and played through.

Warning now - Clan, Generation and Disciplines will be assigned at random, you do not get to choose these, as, a Sabbat embrace, you wouldn't get the choice anyway, play with what you get and adapt.

It will be a sabbat game, so you will be looking at combat, subversion and infiltration down the line, and as it is set in the World of Darkness, you will be looking at a grimmer depiction of this world.

Yes, there will be degeneration, the option is how you interact and go against that spiral downwards.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

:wave:

I be interested in this, never really played beyond the pc games and a few looks ins at bearding events. I will warn (probably not needed narf) that I will be a very slow poster though.
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Thats one :D

If I can get 3-4 it will be playable.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I could certainly be tempted to some of this!
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

I'm sort of tempted, but haven't the faintest clue about oWoD or its dice system. Is it fairly easy to pick up? Should I be expecting it to be anything at all like the Vampire video games, or is that silly?
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

The Dice Rolls are similar to Shadowrun, you have a dice pool and get successes to complete tasks, the difficulty number for the success depends on the difficulty of the task.

Example, shooting takes a dice pool from your agility and your firearms skill (say a pool of 6 dice)

To shoot at a stationary target on a brightly lit range would be a difficulty 6, so roll 6d10, see how many are 5+ that be number of successes, the more successes, the more impressive what you have done.

To shoot a moving target in a dim warehouse may well be an 8, so roll the same dice, and see how many are 8+.

As for the games, they more show things from the Camarilla side of the border, with the Sabbat being random frothy nutjobs, more animal than human. The Sabbat are more 'in tune' with their vampiric nature and tend to embrace it over the human side. If you remember the first Blade movie, they are more Deacon Frost's 'Top of the Food Chain' as opposed to the big board room of vampires content to keep to shadows and rule through minions. But more of this will be revealed as you start playing, as it will be more my take on the Sabbat.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Grimmie wrote:I'm sort of tempted, but haven't the faintest clue about oWoD or its dice system. Is it fairly easy to pick up? Should I be expecting it to be anything at all like the Vampire video games, or is that silly?
VtM: Bloodlines was a pretty good game representation of the game, IIRC. Its not 100% faithful to the pen and paper version in that some of the Magical Vampire Powers are slightly different (for example, in Bloodlines the Celerity power is like a toggleable bullet time thing. In the p&p version its a bit more like a bonus you put on anything that you can do that involves speed. Or something like that. Its not bullet time, anyway) but the theme, setting, storyline etc are all pretty much bang on.

Its been ages since I looked at the rules, but I don't remember it being particularly hard to understand.

Like TSD says, the only problem with the games is that they are all Cam, all the time.
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Well, as I have at least 3 interested (I may have a 4th, Mrs TSD has seen this now and wants in, and she is a bigger WoD nerd than me)

http://mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/pdf/V ... active.pdf

One character sheet, you can edit it in Adobe.

As I said earlier, I would like people to make basic spods, people who will become vampires, and a bit of a story as to why you are in the Derby/Notts/Leicester area to begin with.

Attributes: 6/4/3 (you get one free dot in each attribute to begin as well)
Abilities: 11/7/4
Virtues: 7 (Humanity only, no paths)

And everyone gets 21 freebie points to spend, however, you can only spend 10 of these at character creation at most (you can spend less), plus any freebies you get from flaws, the remaining 11 will be at embrace, and you cannot take any vampiric based flaws or merits.

Any questions?

EDIT: 2 dots in an attribute or ability is an average person, or leymans knowledge of a skill, noone can have more than 4 dots in anything at creation.
Last edited by The Shutting Downs on January 1st, 2014, 9:19, edited 2 times in total.
Mrs TSD
Svenno
Svenno

Post by Mrs TSD »

OK, fine - I reffed a game for many years, so know the system pretty well. Having heard vaguenesses about what the fella has planned, though, this sounds like a lot of fun. In a sort of degenerate way, of course ;)

But yes, another player here! :wave:

Been off the forums for ages due to Life. Back now ;)
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

BBC2 - 01:05 - Shadow of the Vampire (so early tomorrow morning) A good movie for inspiration
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

So Grimmie and Mrs are sorting characters, if others want to run stuff by me, go ahead, and if anyone else wants in, feel free to put names down.

As soon as I have sheets and background, we will be ready to go.

I am also about on Steam Chat if needed
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I shall make a stab at character creation tomorrow. Unless, by some miracle, other people are actually working tomorrow and require me to do things. This is unlikely.

Just to check, as I am slightly confuddled: I know the basic difference between nWoD and oWoD, so went off to look for a rulebook. I've managed to discount the ones that are definitely new and therefore wrong, but that still seems to leave me with a butload of options. Should I get the First, Second or Third edition? If it is Third edition, does that mean the 20th Anniversary book will do, as that seems to be a recently printed collection of all the most up to date oWoD stuff? Or have i got that entirely wrong?
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

The 20th anniversary is the most up to date version, so if you have that one it's the better option.

The order went 1st edition, 2nd edition, New WoD, 20th Anniversary.

White Wolf kinda realised that the NWoD wasn't the big hit they thought it would be, so put a collection together of several 2nd ed rulebooks into the 20th with an update to the rules.
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

That's 3 characters down.

PEEEEEEEEEETEEEEEEE!
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Anyone else want in before I start preludes over PM?
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

EXCITING! :boogie:
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I think I'm going to cite the catholic method here as I'm still only a few pages in to the book and whilst it looks like a character is easily made (and I have pretty much done so) I really won't have the time to post in a campaign as often as I would want.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

I thought you were going to say you were going to pull out
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

If folks want to make sure their character sheets and backgrounds are in the dropbox, I will PM the start for each of you this week.