Eclipse Phase: Glory

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

Re: Eclipse Phase: Glory

Post by Joose »

He did indeed. DCOM looks a little more banged up than he did before, a few more scratches and welded areas, that sort of thing. Not so much that anyone would notice if they didnt know the morph well before hand though.

If theres nothing else, lets go back to Titan!

Ming sends you an email on your arrival, after an uneventful journey, telling you to meet him where you did before for a debrief. As you enter the clearing in the garden dome you see him sat on the bench, exactly where he was before.
Ming wrote:Ah! Welcome back gentlemen! Our mutual friend informs me that he has delivered the hardware and Yu to a facility of ours. The hardware will undergo careful study and the young lady will receive the finest treatment. Congratulations! So, all that remains is a report. I dont require a moment to moment account, but the more detail you can provide the better. You never know what could be significant after all.
He looks around briefly.
Ming wrote:Oh, and dont worry, you can talk freely here. Its as secure as anywhere can be.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Unlabelled relays all of the details, including how he heroically saved DCOM from their assailant and took on all comers and generally took command (and also credit) for everything good. He exaggerates rather a lot
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Ming looks concerned.
Ming wrote:That is extremely bad. I will send an Erasure Squad to deal with the habitat. Did any of you interface with the hardware directly?
He pauses for a second, peers at you and adds
Ming wrote:Did you come into physical contact with the bodily fluids of any of the ... morphs you encountered?
Before you answer, everyone do a Kinesics test. (kinesics is basically reading body language)
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Kinesics (16)... this isn't going to turn out well

Roll(1d100)+0:
30,+0
Total:30
Yes! I hooked into their systems to open the doors and spoke to a nice lady. As far as I recall the only person we got up close and personal with was Yu. Apart from that other person. Who I stabbed. A lot.
For some reason when I was writing that my brain was reading it in the voice of Caboose (I think, from Red vs Blue)
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Haha, now *I* am reading it like Caboose.
Ming wrote:Ok. I will need you all to get to this address as soon as possible for a checkup. It is thorough Morph and Ego exam, just to ensure you are well and treat you if you are not. Dont worry, all costs will be covered by Firewall.
He sends the address of a medical lab on Titan to each of your meshes.
Ming, smiling warmly wrote:Well, congratulations gentlemen. It seems like your first operation was quite the success! I shall let you return to your lives, I am sure you will want some rest and recuperation. I will contact you when your services are required again. Remember, tell no-one of the what has transpired on this job. Good day, and thank you again!
He gives you all a big grin and a nod, and then he departs.

END!

I'll deal with whether or not you go to the clinic in downtime over PM to keep things organised. In the meantime I will work out what rewards you get for completion. Overall though, not too shabby a start! Any questions (although bear in mind I might not answer all of them)?
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

What was it that we found (that we thought we should blow up)?

Also: Yay not dying!
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

fabyak wrote:What was it that we found (that we thought we should blow up)?

Also: Yay not dying!
You mean the room with meat walls that Doggers didnt like? Im not saying. If you want, your character can try and research it during downtime.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Woo! Sorry, I can't really post proper things at work on my phone and I usually forget by the time I get home. I'll ask Ming if whatever nasty he's worried about would affect an synth (knowing EP, probably. Nanobots, son). I'll have a go at that kinesics roll too:

0, 3: 3 Excellent Success!

Yeah! I'm a motherfucking empath robot. Voight-Kampff that. If only I could roll like that in combat.

So was that meant to be a combat mission at the end that we fucked up by being oblivious, or was there a better way and we fluked it? Also can you humour us by giving us a few ideas about what we should be doing during downtime?
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:Woo! Sorry, I can't really post proper things at work on my phone and I usually forget by the time I get home. I'll ask Ming if whatever nasty he's worried about would affect an synth (knowing EP, probably. Nanobots, son). I'll have a go at that kinesics roll too:

0, 3: 3 Excellent Success!

Yeah! I'm a motherfucking empath robot. Voight-Kampff that. If only I could roll like that in combat.
Nice! He seems honestly concerned about your wellbeing, so answering honestly is ok. Which is good, because Fab would have said his response before you could do anything about it anyway. He confirms that he wants you checking out as well, its more likely that biomorphs could catch infections but like you say its not impossible for stuff to affect synths too. As neither you nor Ming know what you are dealing with its best to play it safe.
So was that meant to be a combat mission at the end that we fucked up by being oblivious, or was there a better way and we fluked it? Also can you humour us by giving us a few ideas about what we should be doing during downtime?
Kicking the doors in and shooting everyone should always be a fallback position for Sentinels (which you are) rather than plan A. Without giving too many plot points away (because stuff might be relevant in future games) you could have gone in full stealth, snuck the hardware out and buggered off leaving Yu to her fate. You could have decided the whole thing was too risky and just blown the reactor, destroying everything. Its even possible that you could have diplomacied your way in and come out with everything you wanted and not fired a shot (although that would have been hard as balls). You could even have snuck it, downloaded the military hardwares backups and left the hardware itself where it was. These plans would have been variously risky, some would have left Ming more or less happy and some would have almost certainly ended up with your being restored from backup. I wont tell you which is which.

The short version is that if you achieved the objective, didnt expose Firewall and didnt generate a bigger risk to humanity than you were trying to deal with, the mission is a success. Everything else is detail. Even whether the party comes out alive or not is a detail. You always have backups, and sometimes its worth losing your morph.

Downtime is really up to you, but heres a few guidelines: If you are upgrading skills or whatever with the XP you get, writing a little in character description to reflect that upgrade may snag you a little bonus xp. Also, if there is anything you want to do like researching what the meatroom was all about, or trying to talk someone into giving you a better morph you can do that in downtime too. Other than that, look at your characters backstory and motivations and make something up! If its horribly off base I will tell you, if its entertaining you again might get some shiny bonus xp.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

You didn't mention our plan of surgically destroying key parts of the ship and spacing everyone. I still reckon that was a good plan with only minor flaws (like not having any explosives or knowledge of how to use them). Sounds like we did okay.

For downtime I'll start by heading off with Unlabelled to the clinic. I'll indicate that we're not 'together'. I'll have a think based on how I spend my XP, but for want of anything better to do I might head back to Nexus. I liked it there. I won't be researching the flesh blob, I'll be doing my very best to forget it.

Incidentally, I really enjoyed that. It took a while for the investigation to get started while we pissed about trying to remember what we were doing, but that's a product of being a forum game.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:You didn't mention our plan of surgically destroying key parts of the ship and spacing everyone. I still reckon that was a good plan with only minor flaws (like not having any explosives or knowledge of how to use them).
You are absolutely right, I forgot to mention that. Funnily enough it is mentioned in the book as a possible route the group might try and take. Its possible, but would have been bloody hard even if you had the right gear. It turns out that large amounts of the Flower, including the section with the life support, actually look a lot more shitty than they are as they were originally looted during the Oxygen Deck Riots, and are military spec gear. Essentially, trying to blow holes in it would be like trying to blow holes in a battleship, albeit a bit of a run down battleship. Possible, but would need the right gear and knowhow.

Having said that, spacing them wouldn't have been as effective or quick as you might think. Something you failed to spot: The monster-morph that you saw on the Kesyrah camera footage coming out and pulling the door off did so without a space suit. Those big buggers are vacuum hardened and dont need to breath for a loooong time. It would have been more effective against the guys not in the big gribbly morphs, but in the short term they all had access to vac suits (emergency space suits that seal the wearer in case of sudden pressure loss, pretty much standard to wear at all times in small habs, especially small habs of dubious maintenance). Even if you had spaced them and permanently broken thier air supply they could have uploaded from their morphs to survive, and you are assuming that no one was sleeved in a synth.

Still, overall you did well, especially for a first run. One thing I would suggest though: make notes, and dont forget you have Muses. The Muse isnt a completely full AI, but you could ask it things like "Is there anyone I was told about in relation to this case that I have not investigated yet?" for example. I mention this because you did miss one lead entirely: one of the people Yu went after on Locus you completely forgot about. Not surprising due to the length of time it takes for forum games to be played, but the Muse is a perfect in-game way of getting around that problem.

So! Rewards! You all get 6 RP (XP with a silly name). Also, your i-rep (reputation with firewall) goes up by 13 and you @-rep (reputation with the anarchist factions) goes up by 6. Your i-rep rewards is nearly as high as it would have gone (you could have got a couple more points for getting more detail on Yu, which I will go into detail about in a sec). You could have kept the Kesyrah, but if Shoggy had found out you would have taken a big hit to your @-rep.

Final thing before downtime: You all go to the clinic Ming sent you to. DCOM gets a thorough probing and is given the all clear. Unlabelled doesnt come out again. Fab, you are restored from backup and given a new morph by firewall. You suspect someone may have been fearing the worst for you guys as the morph they give you is almost identical to the one you started with, which is astonishing given the timeframe they had to get it. They fill you in on the details of your mission, but only in as much detail as you gave to Ming. You have no actual memories of this entire afair. We will deal with the psychological impact of that in downtime. DP, FJ, if you are feeling generous you can fill him in on further details. The reason the clinic give you is that both your morph and ego were "irretrievably contaminated" although they wont tell you any specifics.

Yay! Player death! You got better though.

Shortly after your return from the clinic you recieve a message from Yu. It turns out she has also been restored from backup and sleeved into a new morph (not a stealth bastard morph this time). She thanks you for your attempted rescue and for the sucessful recovery of the hardware and lets you know that if she can ever help you out similarly in the future, just let her know. She also tells you that although the morph you returned with was her morph it wasnt her Ego in it. Both the morph and the Ego were unrecoverable and disposed of, but they believe the Ego may have been one of the Khans. Presumably they forceably uploaded Yu and stole her fancy body. She wishes she knew what had happened to her original Ego, but Firewall have since confirmed that no Egos left the Flower using the darkcasting system since she went and the hab has been completely destroyed by an Erasure squad (they made it look like a reactor accident, it barely registered in the news feeds) so she is confident that her old self is now dead. She says she is kind of glad, she is sure she wouldnt have wanted memories of that place anyway.

Just downtime now! PM me any character changes/updates/activity/questions. I'll get to preparing another story :)
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Is there a special place on the sheet to add the increased numbers or should I just add it up manually (rep things etc)
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Huzzah!
Unlabelled wrote:Muni kaya lucked metu gadhah kula ing tim. Katon kaya aku cukup pahlawan.
Excellent run Joose! I will take heed of your comment and make sure I keep notes!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

DCOM wrote:I do not mind admitting that you fought heroically on the Flower, and saved me from being similarly restored from backup.
I'll fill in Unlabelled on anything he asks about, should he be interested. I'll omit my little breakdown and break of character though.

Notes would be handy, but most of the posting happens during the day when I'm on my phone in the canteen and in conversation. I spazzed back a few times to go over the clues again but it's easy to lose things. I'll remember the muse idea.

I'll check out the books and sort out my downtime when I get some time. I'm being harassed by both kids at the moment.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

fabyak wrote:Is there a special place on the sheet to add the increased numbers or should I just add it up manually (rep things etc)
Just looked at this and the answer is "sort of".

On the first tab, labelled Setup, you first need to make sure that "Is Character Generation Complete?" is set to yes. You can then add the Rez (RP) that I have given you in to the Total Rez Awarded. Go spend it on skills or whatever and the amount you have spent will be calculated and put on that Setup tab.

Rep is a little weird. Add up the rep I have awarded you (13 i-rep and 6 @-rep for a total of 19) and enter that in the Total Rep Awarded field. You can then go to the Ego tab and add the appropriate rep there, under the "free points" heading.

This character sheet works but is clunky as fuck. There is an official character management application that I'm going to look into to see if that handles all this a bit better.

I'll also be PMing you all about downtime at some point today. Unless I forget again.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Although no long term trauma was inflicted upon Unlabelled as a result of the resleeving he did end up with an insatiable hunger for several hours afterwards. Due to his slightly altered perception of reality for this time he ended up doing voices for everything he consumed just before he ate it resulting in an improvement in his impersonation skills.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

:lol: :likesitall:

Pants, FJ, you ready for round two? Anyone else want to jump aboard the game train?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Woo yay! I'm ready!