Subwoofers

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Subwoofers

Post by Grimmie »

Hello, I'm back for a second time today. If I stay any longer in the Hardware forum I think my fingers are going to turn into soldering irons and screwdrivers, so I better make this short.

I remember at one of the JockBashes we went to Jock was showing off his shiny new PC subwoofer. It sounded great, and it was just a little box he plonked behind his monitor and plugged into his sound card.

I always buy 5.1/7.1 soundcards but only ever use two chunky speakers (Creative Gigaworks T40 ii) on the damn things. I don't really have the room to mound satellite speakers, but I could buy a meaty subwoofer to make my bass tones a little heavier. I've got a decent space behind my monitor on my desk too, as it's in a corner.

The question is, what can/should I get? Is it wise to buy a speaker set (like this) and just grab the subwoofer from it, discarding the satellites, or do I buy a meaty stand-alone subwoofer for two or three times the price?
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Re: Subwoofers

Post by TezzRexx »

I have this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-980-00 ... B002L3TSMU

It was given to me by my boss as I normally wouldn't buy such things (Headphone guy over here, yo!) but to my non-experienced ears, its very good. Sometimes painful.

Feel free to pop over and try it out some day if you wish :}
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

For thirty-ish quid I might just get it.

Does the sub have a separate power supply, or do you have to use it with the speakers? I ideally want to keep my current ones as they're beefier than those.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I don't think they make them anymore, but I have one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-X-230- ... B00069ZEA6

As I always use my headphones I never really used them (I used the subwoofer as a footrest :dohtwo: ) and ended up plugging them into my TV instead. It's a very good set, and the little subwoofer especially is a pretty little wooden bass beast. It won't satisfy the hardcore bass junkie but to my uninitiated ears the sound such a small thing can put out sounds pretty damn great.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Sub woofer?

FallenBlade
Mouse
Mouse

Post by FallenBlade »

Mr. Johnson wrote:I don't think they make them anymore, but I have one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-X-230- ... B00069ZEA6

As I always use my headphones I never really used them (I used the subwoofer as a footrest :dohtwo: ) and ended up plugging them into my TV instead. It's a very good set, and the little subwoofer especially is a pretty little wooden bass beast. It won't satisfy the hardcore bass junkie but to my uninitiated ears the sound such a small thing can put out sounds pretty damn great.
I have something very similar to these, except I have 5.1. Had them for 4 or so years now and they're really nice.