Wake on Lan, but not on Lan. Wake on Wan?

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

Wake on Lan, but not on Lan. Wake on Wan?

Post by Joose »

Halps.

Is it possible to trigger WoL without being actually on the LAN in question? I have remote access to my home computer, but that's of bugger all use if the thing has gone to sleep. Not a problem if I am at home as I can just use WoL to shake it into usefulness, but what if I want to connect via teh internets from somewhere remote? Getting the actual remote connection itself wasn't that difficult, but I cant find any way of waking the thing up from the internet. The only option I can think of at the moment is having something permanently on attached to my LAN so I can remote into that and WoL whatever I want from there, but I would rather not have something sat there turned on the whole time just for the rare occasion I want remote access.

Is it possible, or am I boned?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Re: Wake on Lan, but not on Lan. Wake on Wan?

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Depends if you can convince your router to forward magic packets I suspect. DMZ could be an option if not, but that's a whole other pain in the arse.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Apparently that *may* be possible. Lots of conflicting reports of success/failure on the Virgin Media support site. I'll give it a go when I get gome.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Can you set up your router to do it?
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

Buy a £10 phone on PAYG, set it to vibrate and put it next to your mouse, ring to wake!

That's a solution, right?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

:lol: I was thinking similar things.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Thompy wrote:Buy a £10 phone on PAYG, set it to vibrate and put it next to your mouse, ring to wake!

That's a solution, right?
:lol:
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

http://www.ispyconnect.com/ + Your house phone, if it sees the phone ring, the computer can do things!

More complicated, has to be better, right?
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Install OpenWRT or dd-WRT onto your router if possible?

If it doesn't do what you need it to out the box, I suspect someone will have written a small program or kernal extension to make it do what you need it to do.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Just TCP and UDP forward a port of your choosing to the PC in question and try it with a WOL program that lets you specify that port number, such as http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-gui.aspx
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

I had an idea for this the other day...

Procure mobile phone, small relay (normally open), solder relay on wires to phone ringer and across power switch jumpers, text/call phone, boot computer.

Al Qaeda should have an appropriate circuit diagram online.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

While you are at it, why not turn on your PC, no matter where it is in the world, via the Iridium satellite network!
Recently got to have a play with this: http://rockblock.rock7mobile.com/ - very nifty kit.

In all seriousness, a raspberry-pi would be ideal for this. It could sit merrily on your LAN waiting for commands, and remotely control your PC/Lights/Heating/Toaster etc
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

ProfHawking wrote:In all seriousness, a raspberry-pi would be ideal for this. It could sit merrily on your LAN waiting for commands, and remotely control your PC/Lights/Heating/Toaster etc
Actually, that's a stonking idea. And somewhat less likely to put me on a government watch list.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Joose wrote:Actually, that's a stonking idea. And somewhat less likely to put me on a another government watch list.
Fix'd :)
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Incidentally, how would a pi handle a little video transcoding?

I'd rather like a low power server box for downloading and serviio whoring.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

I suppose the other option is skipping the transcode and using more pi for the telly end of the deal.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I've seen a bunch of guides for using the Pi as a media box for your telly. You can stick XBMC on there, and even get a specially built bolt on IR receiver for it. Perfectly capable of playing HD, apparently.

Theres also guides for setting them up as little NAS boxes and such, but apparently they don't work too well for that as far as stuff like HD video streaming goes. I don't understand why.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

:) go for it! The Pi makes a really cool home-automation thingy. You can get ready made relay boards to control stuff, like this for not much money.

Its fine to stick a USB hdd to it and make a nas, but don't expect it to transcode stuff like a proper PC, its still not that powerful. It can only handle playback in HD as it can efficiently offload this to its graphics core. I tried XBMC on it (both openelec and Raspbmc) and the interface is SLOOOOW to say the least.

They do make good little headless audio players though.
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

Joose wrote:I've seen a bunch of guides for using the Pi as a media box for your telly. You can stick XBMC on there, and even get a specially built bolt on IR receiver for it. Perfectly capable of playing HD, apparently.
I'm using 2 for this at home, NAS under the stairs and a Rpi in the lounge and bedroom velcroed on the back of the TV.
No need for a remote control add on as the main TV remote works to control XBMC over HDMI and in the bedroom I use my phone with an XBMC android app.

It all works really well (Except the XBMC iplayer app which stopped working a few months ago)