5punky omgnoob's guide to Dota 2

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Re: 5punky omgnoob's guide to Dota 2

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I imagine due to squishiness they're rather high damage, I might have a fiddle later.

It'd be nice if you could jump into practice games at about lvl15, just to test end game stuff, without 30 minutes grind.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:I imagine due to squishiness they're rather high damage, I might have a fiddle later.

It'd be nice if you could jump into practice games at about lvl15, just to test end game stuff, without 30 minutes grind.

the console is your friend
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

The first time I played Weaver I hated him, but now he's one of my favourites. Things to remember:

Invisible is good, but towers can still see you
Moving through things whilst invisible will damage them
Your ult takes a second or two to activate
Keep an eye on the cooldown of Geminate for when you're about to attack heroes
Level bug swarm last as it's a bit shit
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've updated the list of easy characters on the first page and modified the guide to suggest people use one of those while they learn the game. Note that none of them are weak characters (there's no such thing in this game), rather that they are uncomplicated. This means that you can concentrate on the gameplay rather than the specifics of your character. You may notice that a lot of the 'easy' characters are also the ones whose names people precede with 'fucking,' for example:
Fucking Riki!

Fucking Sniper!
Fucking Sausage Monster!
And so on.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

After a few games of experimentation,

Bloodseeker: Solo mid ideally, otherwise go up any old lane and Jungle like an immortal twat after about level 8, avoid more than 2 enemy heroes as much as possible, especially if they stun, you will die faster than a fast thing being hit by a Ferrari.

One of the guides suggests a weapon (radiance) that has a 3800g competent as a core item, it's quite nice but crystalis > daedalus is a much safer path for newer players, and the crits make you incredibly effective.

edited since I managed 44:4 earlier, better plan :)
Wifeyberk
Mushroom
Mushroom

Post by Wifeyberk »

Bloodseeker is good for noobs. I got on with it, enough said really.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I found out in a game today that you can pick up things from your stash by standing just outside the enemy base.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Yeah, the shops have no loyalty.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

It's quite nice once you've got to the point of total enemy destruction, can stand there buying toys and murdering them as they respawn.
Wifeyberk
Mushroom
Mushroom

Post by Wifeyberk »

Haha, I beat Berks score on Bloodseeker! He's banned me because 55 kills and 0 deaths is apparently unfair. Personally I just think he's a sore loser :lol:

But at least now I have a character I don't suck on and can't be called Pnut.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Dammit, I just tried and you still beat me, 55/0/2 :cry:
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Dear Games master, How do I win the game with the character Bounty Hunter on the game DOTA 2? Try as I might, I keep finding myself a little outclassed, and rather dead, despite my best efforts.

Help me gamesmaster!
Berk, 7, wales.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

i find with bounty hunter you either need to be a sneaky bastard with your shadow walk and catch people 1 on 1 unawares (not too early though unless you know you can out damage them) and swapping between the lanes to get early kills with it too, but that can be a bit hit and miss due to losing out on the creep farm and you can easily end up under leveled and with none of the items that boost you up, i prefer to play it risky in lane with a support character, constantly putting pressure on the enemy heroes and pushing for any kill you can get without charging the enemy tower until you have you ultimate and core items at which point you can switch between the lanes and jump into fights to deal massive damage from nowhere.

You also need to learn to keep an eye on the Jinada skill and try not to get into fights without it ready, as it gives you a shit ton of extra damage and slows the enemies attack and movement for a few seconds. save the shuriken toss for if people start to run as the damage can quite often finish off people who are low on health and if not the mini stun will give you enough time to get in and hit them with the Jinada active again for another few seconds of slow ( if they aren't already dead yet).

Remember to use your ultimate to help people chase the enemies who are running too as it gives a speed bonus too any allies near the target. the bonus gold that whoever kills the target gets is just a nice bonus imo.

The best escape tactic i've found is to get a blink dagger, so that if you get ganged up on suddenly you can just blink away and shadow walk right out of almost anything so long as your not under an enemy tower.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

good thoughts there, I shall have a fiddle, he's currently in the not bad, but incredibly frustrating stage.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

If you can make sure that Shadow Walk is recharged before dropping out of invis and attacking - that way if things go awry you can still bugger off.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Protip: Definately dont bother totally completing the training thing. There is no reward for completing the "10 limited pool games against public randoms" section, and all you get for having hit 100% completion is a little pop up saying "yay, you have completed training!". Whoop de fucking do.

Something I noticed doing those ten games: I seem to be cursed. Out of all of them, 5 games had someone disconnect not far in, 1 had someone sit in our base AFK the whole game, 1 had both of those things. All of those disconnecting/AFK players were on my teams. I dont say that in a "boo hoo, thats why I lost" way as the fact that it is part of the training thing means a high level of new players which meant my team won one of the games we had a disconnected player in. It just struck me as odd.

Another thing I noticed: If there is someone complaining loudly that their team is shit there are good odds that person is the worst player on their team. Don't be that person. Also, if your teams Sniper is wading in to the middle of combat and getting himself killed a lot, say "hang back a bit Sniper, you can out-range them but you are squishy", don't say "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK SNIPER OMG FUCKING NOOB SHIT". The first is helpful and if you catch it early enough could swing the game back in your favour. The second just pisses everyone off and makes you look like a tool.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

Joose wrote:Protip: Definately dont bother totally completing the training thing. There is no reward for completing the "10 limited pool games against public randoms" section, and all you get for having hit 100% completion is a little pop up saying "yay, you have completed training!". Whoop de fucking do.

Something I noticed doing those ten games: I seem to be cursed. Out of all of them, 5 games had someone disconnect not far in, 1 had someone sit in our base AFK the whole game, 1 had both of those things. All of those disconnecting/AFK players were on my teams. I dont say that in a "boo hoo, thats why I lost" way as the fact that it is part of the training thing means a high level of new players which meant my team won one of the games we had a disconnected player in. It just struck me as odd.

Another thing I noticed: If there is someone complaining loudly that their team is shit there are good odds that person is the worst player on their team. Don't be that person. Also, if your teams Sniper is wading in to the middle of combat and getting himself killed a lot, say "hang back a bit Sniper, you can out-range them but you are squishy", don't say "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK SNIPER OMG FUCKING NOOB SHIT". The first is helpful and if you catch it early enough could swing the game back in your favour. The second just pisses everyone off and makes you look like a tool.

I had pretty much the opposite experience to this when i did it a few weeks ago, obviously had a couple of shit games with some ass slagging off the teams, but for the most part it put me with other people who quite often where playing their first proper game, and helped each other out with little tips as much as we could and ended up having a bunch of really good games with some great teamwork going on. it at least made me somewhat more open to playing games with randoms.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Sorry, I should have been more clear about that: although I had a fairly high number of DC'd players, there was a very low number of twatbadgers. I think only 2-3 in all 10 games. Interesting thing you can see straight away from those numbers though: My games had 2-3% bad players, but those people soiled the experience of 20-30% of the games I played.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've never had a game-ruiningly bad experience with randoms. Even the twats I have seen have been amusing in their rage rather than annoying.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I was mostly getting annoyed on behalf of the genuine noobs. For example, in that game you were observing the other day the guy playing Zeus was an utter cockburger the entire game. When he was shouting at me I didn't give much of a shit, it was when he was having a go at Sniper that got on my nerves. Sniper was fairly obviously new to Dota; he was doing all the standard new person things: forgetting to buy stuff, not even attempting last hitting, getting in waaaay to close and then refusing to run away. Thanks to Zeus there is a greater chance that this new fella will bounce of Dota, rather than sticking with it, learning and enjoying himself.