How to "Let's Play!"

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

How to "Let's Play!"

Post by Grimmie »

Okay guys, it was mentioned last night that it would be good if a snappy guide to screen-casting was made available to 5punkers.
I can only really give advice on my software setup, but if anyone wants to add their own stuff please feel free!

Also if I talk out of my bum, please do correct me. I'm kinda winging things.

Equipment
You will need
  • Screen capture software
  • Video editing software
  • Audio recording/editing software
  • A fairly good computer (if you're recording HD)
  • Many Gigabytes of hard drive space (especially if you're recording HD)
  • A microphone
Recording
Video
I use Fraps, so that's what I'll be basing this tutorial off, but if anyone else wants to add their own bit of software as a comment then please feel free! It'd be great to have a single thread full of resources. I chose Fraps because it seemed like the easiest solution, and cheap enough considering how much I've been using it recently. The license lets you record movies over 30 seconds, which is probably useful unless you want to make really short Lets Play videos.

Once in the software, head on over to the FPS tab and hide the overlay, this will stop the little frames-per-second number popping up in your video. It's pretty much just good for benchmarking your system.

In the Movies tab you've got some proper options.

Going clockwise
  • Set a hotkey to record
  • Pick a capture speed, 30fps is plenty (Adobe Premiere prefers 29.97fps for exporting with my chosen codec, so I've set it to that)
  • Pick whether you're recording a full or half size. The latter will be faster if you have a poopy machine, but obviously you won't be exporting at 1080p unless you have a 2160 pixel high monitor. Which you don't. Don't be silly.
  • Choose to split the movie every 4GB, this'll stop you from losing your video if something crashes, and also cuts your video into manageable chunks when you come to process it in your editing software. If I record for thirty minutes at full resolution I usually end up with 10-20 chunks, so 40 gigs to 80 gigs of hard drive space. Voluminous!
  • Record Windows sound - that's your game audio. If you have a swanky sound set up I think you can experiment with Multichannel too.
  • Record external input - That's your microphone. You can do this, but it'll all be in the same audio layer, so you won't be able to edit out umms, ahhs, coughs or farts (or belches, Pete).
I'm going on a lot about recording in HD, but that's because I really appreciate being able to full screen a YouTube video, whack it to 1080p and see the game as it's being played. If you want to export at 1080p or 720p then you're going to want to record at some step between those two resolutions (or above). These resolutions are 16:9 ratio, which most monitors are these days. Recording at the following resolutions is acceptable. 1280×720, 1366×768, 1600×900, 1920×1080.

Recording at the first three will either be perfect for 720p exporting, or will scale down nicely to 720p. The last will be perfect for 1080p exporting - if you have higher resolution 16:9 monitors then YouTube's not really going to get much benefit out of what you're uploading to it, seeing as it desires 1920x1080p.

If like me you're a screen real-estate whore and got a 16:10 ratio monitor (1280×800, 1440×900, 1680×1050, 1920×1200) Then you'll be wanting to play your game in a window at a 16:9 ratio resolution. You can do this just by setting the game to 1920x1080 and playing in a window. I recorded my Unreal 2 videos at 1920x1200 and when it came to exporting it it sheared 60px off the top and bottom. No great loss, but I'll try and remember to record 1920x1080 in future.

It's worth mentioning that you might want to turn off stuff in the background that's going to pop-up. Raptr and Steam notifications, or IM sounds. Most of these can be done by setting yourself to Busy though.

Audio
If you're going to be recording your microphone separately (and let's face it, you totally should) then you're going to want to have another recording program open. I have Audacity sitting to one side on my second monitor and start recording audio before I open my game. I then count down to pressing my Fraps record button like a sort of audio clapper board, so I know where I'm syncing my audio and video when it comes to editing.

The advantages are that:
  • I really like BBCode Lists
  • You can cut out any unwanted noises from your speech track independent to your game
  • You can dip your speech track and raise the game track when something important is happening, like a cutscene
  • You can independently raise or lower volume of the whole track, if your microphone's rubbish (like mine)
Editing
I use Premiere, which is kinda fiddly, but great once you have your head around a few simple concepts. This is probably where other people's contributions to this tutorial is going to come in handy though, as Premiere's something I got a license from work for. It's otherwise pretty expensive.

Premiere asks if I'm providing DV (standard definition) or HDV (high definition) video. HDV, naturally. I then get a list of video types I can set my timeline to, which looks like this: http://imgur.com/k90JAL6

It doesn't matter much as Premiere's smart enough to change the sequence type when you start dragging video on to the timeline, but it's informative. Notice this format is for recordings at 1920x1080, and lists the frame rate as 29.97 (as mentioned earlier in the Fraps section).

Grab (import) your tasty 4GB chunks and slap them on to the timeline. Premiere's smart enough to put them in alphabetical order, and Fraps timestamps video.

I pop my entire audio track in to Adobe Audition and sample the background noise, then remove it. It just gets rid of that annoying microphone hiss that you get with cheaper microphones, and also any disc drive whirring, or fan hums. Audition's pretty good at this, but I can't vouch for other editors. I'm sure yours will have something similar though.

Here's what my editing looks like - I gather Lightroom's pretty similar. Click for biggerer/clearer!

Use audio and video transitions between the intro and outro. Speaking of..
5punk Intro: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vscscvmi17fjz ... 0Intro.mp4 (13mb)
5punk outro: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sapdj2wfk1xi7 ... 47s107.png (1.6mb)

I use ReclusiveLemming's chiptune compilation for my intros.
Download through: Dropbox, files indivudually or as a pack

Mr J is using https://www.extrememusic.com/ for free music tracks, but there are tons more of artists out there trying to get their royalty-free audio out there to an audience. Be kind, provide a credit to them in your YouTube video description, and a link if possible.

Exporting
Goddamn check your whole video first. You wouldn't want to have to do this twice. (Like Tandino and I had to.)

I export all my junk through Adobe Media Encoder (it's what Premiere uses to export stuff). Here are the settings I use.

Click for biggerer/clearer!

Exporting will take a while, and will push your computer (probably), so best do it while you have an hour or two to spare.

Uploading
If you reckon exporting takes a while, unless you have a nice broadband upload speed (most residential connections don't, sadly) you're gonna be uploading to YouTube for even longer. Once you've previewed your masterpiece upload it to the 5punk YouTube channel (username and password in the Waugh Room in the "YouTube details" thread. I've stickied it for convenience. If you're not allowed in the Waugh Room, ask an old-timer to hold your hand.)

Put a brief explaination of what you're playing in the video description, and credit people like so:
Played by: {5punk username}
Music: {Track - Artist - Link}

When you're done you could set the video to "Unlisted" and show it around a few 5punkers for a second opinion. If you're happy swap it to "Public" and go advertise! 5punky Twitterers will be happy to put it on there, and people that can modify the 5punk.co.uk front page will help you upload it there too. Facebook seems to be a pretty good platform for sharing if you have nerdy friends.

Legalities
Pick royalty free music, unless you want to go commission somebody to make us a sweet as heck song.

One thing to consider is the legal grey area around Lets Play videos - some game publishers don't like their games on YouTube at all. Here are a couple of things you can do to avoid the video being town down under a copyright claim
  • Play older games, publishers tend to care more if you're recording a game that's just been released. It might cut in to their profits.
  • Always, always, always record some sort of commentary. The big fair-use claim is that if you're providing some sort of educational commentary for the majority of the video then it's A-OK. This could be "Here's how to play the game and not die" or "Here's how to complete X level", or "Here are the guns in the game". The number one thing that's probably going to get your video kicked off is if you upload something that's essentially "Here's me playing the game silently, so you can watch it and not buy it". Pretty much all Lets Play forums recommend this course of action.

I think that's pretty much all of my knowledge on Lets Plays, so do feel free to contribute below, and I'll update the post above with more information. Happy playing!
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Re: How to "Let's Play!"

Post by tandino »

Tis ver good Mr Grimmie, nicely done. Just FYI for those of us who are using premier (I too got a licence from work - LEGIT) on the export screen there's a dropdown titled "preset". In here is a handily pre-configured "YouTube HD 30" (or something similar) pre-set. I just bang this on and press export - sorts everything for you but allows you to make changes if need be.

My set up is pretty much identical to Grimmie's. Audacity for recording my mic audio, Fraps for everything else. I find it's quite useful to start recording my mic audio prior to my gamimg session. A good way to sync up game & mic audio is to launch the game normally and once it's ready and you're in-game press escape. On closing the menu say something like "closing the menu... now". You have a good marker for your mic audio and your game visuals.

Apologies for rambling hung over bollocks post.
TheJockGit
Boba Fett
Boba Fett

Post by TheJockGit »

Grimmie wrote:Pick royalty free music, unless you want to go commission somebody to make us a sweet as heck song.
So where is sololoman these days?
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

TheJockGit wrote:
Grimmie wrote:Pick royalty free music, unless you want to go commission somebody to make us a sweet as heck song.
So where is sololoman these days?
Lurking
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Thanks Grimmie, lots of useful info there!

I really need to learn an editor that outputs MP4, my WMV ended up as 6.41GB which took all night to upload, but when I use one of those 'download from youtube' thingies on the resultant video, it's a comparatively tiny 1.05GB MP4.

I also unnecessarily recorded at 60fps, which is 1Hz faster than my monitor can actually display, so the 100GB of disk space used was a bit of waste, as I encoded the WMV at 30fps.

I discovered when having to rerecord the audio is that because you're essentially commentating you are reacting a bit to what you're seeing, rather than saying what you're going to do. A little trick I learned was that if you basically say what you see, then move the audio track half a second earlier, then it matches up almost perfectly. A good example of this is when I'm riding the studio tour train in my RCT3 video and react to the falling rocks - as recorded I was halfway around the next corner when saying "it's only some pretend rocks" and you couldn't see them anymore.

Of course recording live removes the problem, but it may be a useful tip if there are bits people want to re-do or add additional audio. I recorded the audio in single takes, but two parts - I found I was umm-ing and ahh-ing a bit too much and running out of stuff to say around the 20 minute mark and audibly berated myself for keeping on saying "okay", so it was nice to take a break and come back fresh.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

FatherJack wrote:Thanks Grimmie, lots of useful info there!
:above: Absolutely this.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

deject wrote:
FatherJack wrote:Thanks Grimmie, lots of useful info there!
:above: Absolutely this.
I'd seriously love to hear some commentary from you deej, I'm not on TS that much, but when I heard you a couple of weeks back when I was on to arrange a Blood Bowl matchup with Joose, it kinda highlighted how much I've eschewed it and the apparent (to me) change in how much more resonant and melifluous your voice is now compared to our old CS encounters was quite startling.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Yeah I should get around to it at some point. I've been wanting to do a Dungeons of Dredmor LP for a while now but I've just not had the motivation to do so yet. I think what I should try to do is just do DoD Dwarven Moderation (Medium Difficulty) Permadeath Random runs and see how far I get before I just can't take it any more. Kinda in the vein of a Giant Bomb Endurance Run. I have one character at the bottom level of the dungeon so I am not too far from fighting Dredmor again, which I could record as a filler episode as well. I promise I'll get to it one of these days.
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

FatherJack wrote:I found I was umm-ing and ahh-ing a bit too much and running out of stuff to say around the 20 minute mark and audibly berated myself for keeping on saying "okay", so it was nice to take a break and come back fresh.
was worried about my ums, ahs and yeahs at first, but after watching other let's plays, it's not uncommon at all, I think its more noticeable when listening to oneself. I've learnt to mostly ignore it, rather than try and talk in an unnatural way.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I likey this guide, I might give it a bash using vdub as my editing dobber though, as for my sins I know that pile of crap inside out and upside down. :)

Edit: that's pretty easy, vdubmod will dump audio to .wav, built in voiceover dobber in goldwave sorts the sound, chuck it back into vdub. sorted.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Just to help me balance my file sizes, what size are people seeing for what length of footage?

I accidentally 2gig for 5 minutes of test file, it's quite pretty, but would take me a year to upload.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:Just to help me balance my file sizes, what size are people seeing for what length of footage?

I accidentally 2gig for 5 minutes of test file, it's quite pretty, but would take me a year to upload.
Are you encoding to H.264? You should be able to get the file size much lower than that. For reference, the largest movie I've encoded with Handbrake (i.e.: H.264 video, AC-3 640 Kbps audio) is roughly 9GB for just under 2 hours. The average video bitrate is roughly 10Mbps. Try turning down the encode quality a bunch and see how good it looks.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Yeah, I tried low and high quality first, just to get a bearing on what's what, the lower option wasn't bad, but just looked a bit shit with my test footage from grid 2.
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:Just to help me balance my file sizes, what size are people seeing for what length of footage?

Mine have so far been roughly 1.5 - 2.5 gig for 30 - 40 mins in MP4 format, but Fraps capturing raw, un-encoded footage blows it up to the 100+ GB area.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Seeing you guys do them makes me want to make one myself. Surgeon Simulator 2013 anyone?