MS office pro 2013

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

MS office pro 2013

Post by HereComesPete »

Werd.

Anyone know of a cheap way of getting MS office pro 2013? Needs to be legit as my sis is looking for a copy for a new business she's setting up. It's £389 rrp, some places have it for £340-350, amazon has it for £318 but there's surely a better way of getting a copy? The smb and office 365 options work out costing more as far as I can tell so it's a single licence option. Apparently she wants the newest version and it has to be pro as she wants publisher. I've not bothered to point out the alternatives like older versions or alternatives because she won't listen.

I personally would :sweep: it but she's all sensible and above board. :roll:
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Re: MS office pro 2013

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Student edition no good? Slightly iffy re commercial use, but 60 quid can't hurt for getting started without putting down real money.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

I can enquire about a copy from a school volume license if you like? Technically that's not legal either as it has to be on campus and for educational use I presume but it's still bought and paid for :P

Also you can buy the individual programs separately for about £100. Buy Publisher then use a free jobby for everything else?
Jimmington
Badger
Badger

Post by Jimmington »

Technet version and just make sure you only "evaluate it" for a long period of time before committing your [her] cash.

MS Office and the general non-IT public have always cracked me up; "It has a dancing paper clip, I must upgrade immediately!". I used to be the Microsoft Excel support many years ago when I first started, and I bet you pound to a penny that Office 4.3 would still probably do most things well that people actually need.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

It does, but disk 17 has an error, and I have no floppy drive.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

HereComesPete wrote:I've not bothered to point out the alternatives like older versions or alternatives because she won't listen.
It's this attitude that maintains Microsoft's monopoly and the reason why it costs so much? :roll:

http://www.libreoffice.org/
http://www.openoffice.org/
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I get my office through an employee discount scheme for under a tenner. Not very useful unless she wants to get a new job.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

spoodie wrote:It's this attitude that maintains Microsoft's monopoly and the reason why it costs so much?
Totally, but that attitude is also held by big business which is why her clients want ms office stuff and her courses are in ms office stuff and why ms charge a fuckpile of money for what is essentially a small graphical update of the last few versions of office.

Hmm, Joose you may be on to something there. I think we also possess an employee discount thinger in work. I shall investigate.
Jimmington
Badger
Badger

Post by Jimmington »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:It does, but disk 17 has an error, and I have no floppy drive.
Fun days, topped only by the helplessness felt when a Spectrum game failed to load being stuck on the splash screen with that fit inducing multicoloured border...
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

*blows on the tape deck*
Taraniis
Ferret
Ferret

Post by Taraniis »

What does your sister need MS Office for that she cannot do with Outlook and a copy of LibreOffice?

It is a serious question because what does she actually want to do with her copy of MS Office that she feels she needs it so much? If it is simple stuff like using spreadsheets etc for accounting purposes then she is on a hiding to nothing at those prices. If webconferencing and email hosting are an essential part of the business model then she may want to consider Office Small Business 365 which works out at £3.90 per month. While this does seem a steep to "rent" a copy of Office it works out that you would need to rent it for 9 years before it became more expensive than buying a copy of MS Office outright - at which point they will have released a new copy of it anyway. While it is all web-based so the programs aren't on the PC, it does chuck in a load of other software such as email and website hosting at no additional costs and there is a 25Gb Sky Drive back up.

If your sister is looking for confidence in using Libre/Open Office then you can tell her that in October the authority I work for is looking at free, open source software as a replacement rather than re-licencing 400+ copies of MS Office at £380 per licence.