mobeel fhone

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

mobeel fhone

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

What's best smartphone wise atm? My desire HD is starting to fail rather.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Re: mobeel fhone

Post by Thompy »

I've been pondering the lastest Nexus. It's neck and neck to most other high end phones and what shortcomings it does have are made up for by it being almost half the price.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Those Nexus phones don't seem to have any additional memory slot, 8 or 16GB is a bit small.
Shada
Shambler
Shambler

Post by Shada »

If you want PURE GOOGLE it's the Google Nexus 4.

If you want PURE CAMERA it's the HTC One X.

If you want HUEG SCREEN it's the Samsung Galaxy S3 or, EVEN HUEGER is the Galaxy Note 2.

All phones are moving away from having an SD card slot. It is stupid. Don't expect any phone to have an SD slot anymore. On the plus side, cloud storage is coming along nicely so you might not even need much space anymore. All I used SD cards for was music, and now google music just has all my music floating on the internet for me.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Shada wrote:All I used SD cards for was music, and now google music just has all my music floating on the internet for me.
That's all well and good when you've got a decent signal or wifi. Google assume this because they are Internet. Personally I'd want 16GB as an absolute minimum, whether that be internal or added, ideally 32GB or more. For my offline Spotify playlists, podcasts and audiobooks.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

Personally 8GB is enough for me. However considering you can get a 64GB mSDXC card for £30 limiting it to so little is surprising as I'm sure there is space inside.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

I dunno if you are set on Android, but i recently got a new BlackBerry Z10, and I'm rather chuffed with it so far.

Its different, sure, but easy to use and super quick.
Most important apps are there, but it is a downside, some services provide iPhone and Android apps, but forget anything else exists :roll: Your milage may vary depending on what apps you need. So far I'm only missing shazam and skype, but I hear skype is coming shortly anyway.

The browser makes up for it though, its super speedy and seems to render everything properly. The camera is decent, the multitasking is miles better than anything else out there, and there are some really cool geeky things I love, like being able to browse to it like a network drive over wifi, auto syncing my music (or whatever I want) when I walk within wifi range, and hooking up to my media system and TV using DLNA. Oh, and the screen is lovely, its even sharper than the apple retina thingy.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

iPhone? :lol:
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I have an S3 and it's lovely, but I don't really use phones to their capacity so I'd probably be happy with anything. Apart from a Windows phone, obviously.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

ProfHawking wrote:I dunno if you are set on Android, but i recently got a new BlackBerry Z10, and I'm rather chuffed with it so far...stuff...
Welcome to a few years ago with all other phones! :lol:

I've had a tit around with the z10, I'm impressed as it's light years away from the old blackberry stuff which was shite. From what I saw they deliver a clearer screen, a faster cpu, more ram and a just as impressive ability to switch between stuff. But that's like comparing a 200mph supercar with a 205mph supercar, it's fuck all difference when both are fast and both are smooth. They can't deliver the age of the OS and consequent chance that bugs have been fixed, they can't deliver the app range, they can't deliver on the quality of video from the ones I watched. And for me the biggest shut the fuck up was the price, they cost pretty much the same on contract, that'll not help at all. So I would never recommend blackberry over apple.

Still, as I am an android lover I would point out that the price of a nexus or htc 1x+ is half that of the z10 or i5. And with that you get high resolution, good build quality, plenty of (mostly free) apps, more freedom to customise, with the 1x+ you get 64gb of internal storage and a vastly improved battery over the 1x. The note 2 costs less, is ridiculous and big enough to bury a monster battery to power the quad core cpu, 2gb ram and other doodads behind the 5.5" screen. They have good cameras, led flashes and all that jazz.

Really, the market is awash with rather awesome choices. And there's some windows phones too...

So I guess what you need to do is work out exactly what you're definitely going to use it for not just ponder what you might use it for, then select on a stringent set of criteria. Or point at one that looks nice.

I think my next one will be along the lines of the note 2, barely use them as a phone, but browse stuff and watch things so I want a big screen for pawing at and providing clearer info's, plus my commute to/from work is quick so I don't need entertainment and I don't play fancy games on the shitter, just some poker or whatever. Or I may just get some standard brick thing and go for a new tablet instead. Lots of re-sellers appear to offer this kind of deal.

tl:dr? For me it's Note 2 - nexus 4/htc 1x+ - iphone 5 - blackberry - potato - windows phones. Or buy a shiny new tablet and fuck off a new smartphone.
Chickenz
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Chickenz »

I've had a Note 2 for aboit a fortnight. Easily the best phone I've ever had. If your a big chap/woman the size wont bother you.

Its basically a phablet. I use it more than the ipad now because it silly quick and the screen is gorgeous. If you get a micro usb adaptor you can plug mice, keyboards and external hard drives into it.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Ooh, USB host? Sold!
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

You prob played with my S3 at beardbash, I've been pretty happy with it.

I went for it bacause it's quad core, about as big as I can go yet still be okay to carry around. It put in a 32GB SD card because the internal 16GB wasn't big enough for all my ROMs - its screen is bigger than my PSP at 4.8"and I can use a Wiimote over bluetooth to play them.

I rarely use it as a phone, but it's nice to only carry one device around. The Note II's a bit chunkier with a 5.5" screen and slightly faster quad core, but the S4 is likely to launch later in the year, maybe April - rumours include more resomolutions, a 5" screen, a further uprated quad core and possibly a bendy screen.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Sounds interesting, I'm due an upgrade in a few months, but pissed off with the ever decreasing battery life on my desire.

Mostly my phone is used as a portable interweb thing with handy "help I'm so lost that GPS can't even find me" function, so I don't mind something a bit huge, but rugged is good.
eRabbit
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by eRabbit »

I got a HTC One X+ in November, I'm chuffed with it. The screen's incredible and 64gb of space is handy. Its hard to get a truly crap phone these days if you go towards the top end of things.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

The Nexus 4 is good if you don't mind the lack of LTE and want something a bit cheaper.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

eRabbit wrote:I got a HTC One X+ in November, I'm chuffed with it.
I've got the One X, but its still the best phone I've had by a long way.
Taraniis
Ferret
Ferret

Post by Taraniis »

Windows phones are awesome, I have a Nokia 900 for work - if it's your own money get the 920 as it does everything the 900 does but better. XBox live on my phone is quite nifty and being a Nokia you know it will work properly unlike the iPhone. Also it is the leftfield choice for people who aren't complete douchebags.
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

Taraniis wrote:Nokia 900 ... leftfield choice for people who aren't complete douchebags.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Taraniis wrote:Windows phones are awesome.
On the other hand, every time ive had to use my mums windows phone to try and show her how to do something ive been left with a strong urge to feed the thing into the machine they have at work for securely shredding hard drives.