DOTA 2

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Re: DOTA 2

Post by Mr. Johnson »

This is your game of dota with bots (or shot2bits) in a nutshell.

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Fucking Sniper.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

If anyone was thinking of buying the Portal pack, this might help make the decision:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFMDCjJyxUM[/media]
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Very tempted although £8.63 seems a bit steep for the voices given I don't think I paid that much for the games
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Well you get a hud and some observers too, but it's the announcer that makes it. As hilarious as it is, I'm not sure I'd pay that for it either.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

The Diretide patch lands tonight. Among other things it brings a coaching mode where (I think) someone can watch you play live as a spectator, tell you where you might be going wrong, and draw CDCs on the map. There's also a lane picker option like LoL introduced recently, but I'd have preferred a role picker option so you don't end up with four gankers and a carry.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've just played a game against a successfully hard carried Meepo. Holy shit, that thing is a one-gerbil army.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

The new mode and heroes are fun - will post more details later.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

New mode is called Wraith Night - something about Skeleton King turning into wraith, blah blah blah. Incidentally you may notice the Skelebob King is no longer available in normal mode and has been replaced by Wraith King. He has life steal and his ultimate recharges rather than just being single use (so instead of potentially getting perma-ganked it becomes quite handy - 60 second cool down at level 3 if I recall correctly).

So, in Wraith Night it's 5 doods vs bots on a new map lay out. It's set up a bit like a 5 on a normal dice - outlying towers and something in the middle to defend. You have to fend off waves of various different bad guys - a mixture of creep type things and mini-bosses based on other heroes in the game. You only have a limited selection of heroes to pick from as well: Axe, Omniknight, Crystal Maiden, Venomancer, Shadow Shaman, Drow, Juggernaught, Sven, and new character Legion Commander. Note: a lot of the skills are different for this mode. Axe now does life steal, Omni can summon minions and other stuff. The shop prices are different too. Also the guides are pretty much useless as they're geared towards a different style of play.

It's tough. I've played a few rounds and only completed it once. It's best to have one person on each tower with the support roaming. You have to build towards facing mobs, otherwise you get overrun really quickly (Axe is amazing for the record). Legion Commander is specifically designed for mob fighting; she has life steal and an ability that works best when you're outnumbered.

Tips:

Read your skills - the bits in green shows you what is different to the regular set up
Ignore the guides - they cater for a different style, and the change in skills means they obsolete
Battle Fury is a good purchase - does Cleave which is good for mobs
If you don't already have it, buy things that give lifesteal
Watch the map and your towers for points under attack
Revive team mates
Pick up the bags of gold coins - this should be at the top of the guide but I can't be arsed moving it. If you don't pick up the gold you don't pick up the girls (or items, I forget which)

I will have a rare Friday to myself if anyone fancies giving it a go.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

We've actually had a few games of it already. I played Sand King (you left him off your list), ditched the guides and bought loads of mana and life items. I think we got to maybe stage 6.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

All I need is axe, baby.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

There's some Ogre Mage fan fiction to be had right there.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I logged in to Dota today to be greeted by a thank you message:
We've recently taken action against one or more players you've previously reported for bad conduct. You have received an additional report submission to use.
That was possibly for the two Spanish guys who kept referring to me as "cancer" and a "nub", despite the fact that they too were having a very poor game.

Zero tolerance for these swine!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Dota is weird. Our mid gets pissed at me for accidentally stealing a kill, tells me to learn to play, calls me a noob, tells me to uninstall. I tell him he's not constructive and blow him kisses. He sets me up for my ult then congratulates me on my good use of it for the rest of the mid game (then everyone goes quiet until we lose). Maybe he liked the kisses.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

So there are a series of "Over edited" DOTA videos on YouTube. They're fucking stupid, but I really can't help but laugh at them. This is my favourite so far:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY7MPdbRvXo[/media]
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Bits, Roman and I had a couple of good random/bot matches last night. Both had friendly and helpful randoms, and we won both games. We made an effort to be a bit more of a team, choosing heroes to compliment the others - nothing complicated, just taking a support of someone had else a carry really - and the effect was noticeable. Anyway, we talked about this article in PC Gamer which we'd seen and which really seems to put forward some interesting points about how people play Dota. Well worth a read.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/29/three ... es-at-all/
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Competitive Hero Tier List May 2014

It is interesting how a lot of the public game popular picks are right at the bottom of this list.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

It's weird really, I wouldn't be surprised to see more complex characters up at the top that people usually avoid in pub games, but even that's not the case. Viper's up near the top and he's a pretty basic character. Meepo, meanwhile, is a bastard to play, and is down towards the bottom. It must be down to useful skills and counters to common picks.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Today I learned Dota Rule 34 is a thing (of course it is)

Also, having played more than a few co-op bot matches recently, I'm starting to understand where a lot of the random animosity comes from in this game.

All but a few of the games have been really good, there's a fair skill spread between brand new to fairly competent, but just occasionally you get utter dicks who utterly fail to grasp the concept of the game, resist all advice, throw themselves under towers and generally just infuriate randomly.

Saying that, I've only had to report one person so far for being maliciously knobby, and have collected a few people on my friends list, which makes the experience a whole fuckload better.