Elite: Dangerous (aka Elite IV)

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Re: Elite: Dangerous (aka Elite IV)

Post by tandino »

buzzmong wrote:I'm really tempted to pay the extra £15 and bump myself up to the £35 to get on the beta. Although it literally is just for beta access, as the earlier backers are already getting the same bonuses.

Edit: I am weak.
Edit 2: It was a good decision. I'm very impressed.
Excellent, that escalated quickly! My name is Commander Tandino Tandler, add me why don't you?!
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

tandino wrote:Excellent, that escalated quickly! My name is Commander Tandino Tandler, add me why don't you?!
Done!
I've gone and picked a completly random name* for my E:D Commander: Dulthron.

*I had to pick this over a year ago, and I'm also trying to step away from using Buzzles or related stuff for MMOs (which E:D sort of is).
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Dildron more like. Eh? Eh?
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Back in the corner with you!
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

So, after a bit of playing around, and rather frequent crashes/hangs, I have to say I like the direction it's going in but it's not yet at a beta level despite the name. There's quite a few core features which need adding or a lot of modification (interaction with the UI, exploration, trading etc..). I'd probably say this is mid-late alpha at the moment.

Certainly worth having a play, but the lack of some features and content to support some existing features mean's it's something to come back to in a few months, have a look, then come back a couple more months down the line. I very much doubt it'll be ready to launch as 1.0 in 2014.

Just to emphasise, it's very much going in the right direction, but it's far from the destination.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Beta 3 is out, with possibly one of the biggest change lists I've ever seen:
http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=52242

Big features: More systems, multiple ship ownership, and mining.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

That is one fuck of a changelog
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I didn't back at a level where I got beta access but because I did back I do get earlier access to the release.

If anybody is planning on playing this you definately need to get a joystick. I tried this with mouse and keyboard and I was all over the shop, with a joystick I was a bit better. Anyone with experience with flight sims will have an easier time of it that I did though, I was banging and crashing off the walls of the training stattion before I finally got myself sorted out and able to fly in a semi-straight line.
I'm currently only on the second tutorial (the first one being how not to crash into space stations) and I have one massive gripe - the thing doesn't tell you what the keys are, plenty of games will tell you what the key bindings are even if you have remapped so why the hell not?

Anyway, the game looks pretty damn sharp even if the splash screen at startup tries to tell you otherwise and I suspect once I have got to grips with the controls I will be playing a lot of this.

Anyone else in already?
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Ooh, it looks like I have (gamma) access now!
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

FatherJack wrote:Ooh, it looks like I have (gamma) access now!
Does this mean we should think about forming some kind of Corp al-a-eve? I'm pretty sure there will be enough playing come release date.

EDIT
This is useful, might sound stupid but it took me a good 20 minutes to work this out (read: gave up after 15 and spent 5 minutes looking on the internet)
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Anery wrote: Does this mean we should think about forming some kind of Corp al-a-eve?
I guess most everything will be wiped on release, but it couldn't hurt to team up in the test phases. From what I've read though it seems quite conducive to private empires, but that more fun might be garnered from public participation.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Do you want some free paintjobs?

Click here

Frontier are giving them away, this link is taken from their email yesterday and is only valid until the 1st Dec. Bit weird as you have to "purchase" them via the store, but it does appear to work.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

buzzmong wrote:Frontier are giving them away, this link is taken from their email yesterday and is only valid until the 1st Dec. Bit weird as you have to "purchase" them via the store, but it does appear to work.
Nice, I don't have the ship those paint jobs are for though.

Pretty nasty with a mouse, at least at default sensitivity, will have to try a controller. A few prompts about what buttons to press would be really helpful and hardly that difficult to implement. I tried the first tutorial and it was pretty painful -pressing every fucking key on the keyboard to try and find the right one. I found a button that set my speed to zero, but then the thrusters stopped working entirely, I set one to 25% so was able to move again, but Up/Down speed had just packed in by then. Managed to find the landing pad and crash into it, shot it and died.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Nice spot, Buzz. I picked them up along with the Mercenary edition of the game. I assume only the higher tiers have access to the playable version right now.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Dog Pants wrote:Nice spot, Buzz. I picked them up along with the Mercenary edition of the game. I assume only the higher tiers have access to the playable version right now.
I backed it on Kickstarter at £20, the lowest that granted you the actual game and I now have access. They emailed me on 25 Nov. Don't know how later purchases work.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Frontier have come out and said that they are NOT going to wipe the game before launch. Anyone ventured out into the big bad internets galaxy yet? I'm still wussing it in my singleplayer whilst I learn.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I've got access to it, but not dared to enter yet. It all sounds too serious and complicated. Plus I don't have a flight stick.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I've only given it a quick go, and stuck with singleplayer too. I was going to give online a go now but it needs a massive update since I last played and its currently shooting along at 0.23 MB/s
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Just played a bit, its pretty good! Although I did try to do an emergency stop during a frameshift and ended up with my face glued to the ships windscreen. Im *reasonably* sure that wasn't supposed to have happened. Had to exit and reload to unglue my face.

I did stop pretty suddenly though.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

spoodie wrote:I've got access to it, but not dared to enter yet. It all sounds too serious and complicated. Plus I don't have a flight stick.
I'm using a very old Cyborg Evo which you can pick up for about 30 quid these days. It doesn't look anywhere near as good as the stuff like the X-55 or 52 set ups you can get but it's good on a budget and better quality - and still cheaper - than the low end HOTAS stuff.

How does one go about adding folks in this game? do we have a list yet?