Sword & Sorcery (PC)

Console/PC game reviews by 5punkers

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Sword & Sorcery (PC)

Post by Thompy »

Now, I know this has been mentioned in the mobile games thread, and it's a bit old, but having just played it I need to talk about it.

First of all: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starhalf:

This is one of the best games I've played in a while, probably since Bastion, and Machinarium before that (and Braid and World of Goo and Ben There, Dan That!/Time Gentlemen, Please!). You get the picture, indie games have been ruling my PC for some time.

S&S is emotive and beautiful. I felt more attached to the characters in this 4 hour game than any AAA RPG title in recent memory such as DA:O or Mass Effect. The graphics are simple yes but they don't detract from the experience, infact they probably help make it. There is such care put into everything, the entire screen is filled with little things to build the entire atmosphere, even the menu has the new age indie feel to it.

The script is odd, being of a young trendy speak or some such, i.e. "The guy told us a story and we were like totally freaked out." It was endearing for the most part, forgetting that people speak like that and just imagining it being the way the people in this world spoke. However just occasionally the illusion broke and I cringed a bit. No big deal.

A couple of other minor annoyances. The ported controls might fail you at times and there's this Twitter thing built in but it's completely unobtrusive. Infact it's laid out in such a way as to make it seem part of the game world rather than having a complete disconnect. Again, little things, hence just the half star off.

The gameplay is simple, you don't "do" an awful lot. That's due to the mobile nature of it I suspect, but it doesn't need to do much, the story, emotion and atmosphere carries it. Speaking of the atmosphere, it's supported mostly by the ambiance and the music. Oh god the music.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBz_w6mW4x8[/media]

Not only is the soundtrack just fucking awesome it does the in thing at the moment of building in grandiose the further you progress through fights, cut scenes and the environment which just makes it even better. Parts are perfectly cued to certain actions like attacks of a boss and its ultimate demise. I remember some journalist going on about it in Portal 2, and while the music in that did change as you progressed through puzzles it was quite subtle. Now people are really embracing it (Vessel is another good example).

If you haven't played it I suggest you do, otherwise I will come to your house and not bum you. So there.
Last edited by Thompy on September 16th, 2012, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Sword & Sorcery (PC)

Post by Dog Pants »

Sold! I'm downloading this to my iPad now.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Re: Sword & Sorcery (PC)

Post by Thompy »

Make sure you use headphones!