Roberts Space Industries

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Roberts Space Industries

Post by FatherJack »

buzzmong wrote:it does make me wonder what the Goon's are going to do with this and Elite on the horizon.
Pretty much try and ruin both them for everyone else?

I applied for the group.
Wiggy
5pork
5pork

Post by Wiggy »

I've applied also, because I only just found out you can. Fail.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I've also applied for the group.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

So, a month later and it's about to hit $38 million.

$2 million in one month for a game that's not even out yet, and most popular indie games don't make that over 5 years.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

So, not only are we now at $39 million. They've revealed two things: First is that the $41 million stretch goal will result in a dedicated R&D team focusing on proceedural generation of assets.

Second reveal is the alternative starter ship, the Mustang:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... pt-Gallery

It looks pretty good.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Dogfighting module is now out.

Single and mulitplayer modes included.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I tried it earlier today but got an error message. My pc will probably explode when I try to go out into space though.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Try deleting the directory called USER in the Star Ciziten directory. That fixed a number of my problems.

As an FYI, due to the "The Next Great Starship" competition (started off with sixteen teams, now down to the final two) which is currently reaching the end, everyone has temporarily been upgraded to a Deluxe hanger so you can see the two finalists. It's worth downloading narf.

Also, the Freelancer variants have been launched. I don't imagine any 5punkers will buy one now, but they might pledge for the small cost to upgrade their ship if they fancy it.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I managed to fix it by uninstalling but that would've been a better way. However, after getting it to work I played around in the arena twice before crashing and seemingly losing my arena commander. Later I discovered why: The helmet you need to access it was hovering in mid air on the complete opposite site of where it's supposed to spawn. Another uninstall later that worked too.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Ooooh, purrrty:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... -Reclaimer

And also one of the first proper things relating to non combat careers.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Do want. But holy fuck $350 for presale price. Will sell soul once in game to get one.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Definitely an in game only purchase.
One of the devs put up some size comparisons with one of the fighters and the Constellation. This new one is mahoosive:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.c ... how-big/p1
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

So, a long time coming but the Social Module has been launched today.

It's bascially a tech testbed for a lot of backend stuff so it's quite feature light, but it's also the first time where players can interact outside of spaceship combat (aka Arena Commander) and is the precusor to Star Marine.
I'm glad that this project is finally starting to come together, I just hope it's going to live up to its promises.
Killavodka
Cheese Lord
Cheese Lord

Post by Killavodka »

Some exciting Star Citizen related stuff came out :milk: at CitizenCon this weekend!
  • A-list cast for Squadron 42 (Gary Oldman, Mark Strong, Gillian Anderson, Luke Skywalker and friends
  • Next major update will be actually a star system to explore, including starfighting, multicrew, EVA, FPS and RPG elements
  • Part of the introduction for S42 was playable and they also had a playable demo of the next update
  • Star Map is available and looks very pretty in it's browser-based form
Still plenty of people who think this game is never going to be released, no matter how much progress is shown....

All in all I'm pretty excited, considering how much the game's scope has changed over the last few years.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

The cast is somewhat worrying. Not because I doubt their acting credentials, but because it seems like it could be an excessive amount of money to spend on the A-list when the industry has a fairly decent talent pool of professional VO actors, and arguably lends some validity to the claims that Robert's really wants to make films rather than games.

I'm still looking forward to this game, but the major update which ties everything together needs to come out sooner rather than later otherwise I'm starting to get a bit worried about funding and it's eventual completion. They'll have burnt through a good chunk of cash by now as development is nearly hitting the three year mark and there's still lots to do.
Killavodka
Cheese Lord
Cheese Lord

Post by Killavodka »

It's hard to say without looking at the figures, but if he does have the spare cash why not splash out on some big names?

I made the mistake of looking through Derek Smart's twitter feed just to see if he had any valid points to make from this weekends releases and he came across as an absolute fucking tool.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

So, 2.0 is out.

This is really the first part of tying everything together and I'm quite impressed. I'm especially impressed by the localised physics tech they've made as that's pretty new.

The official trailer isn't too special:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf4zCCjBwOA[/youtube]

But what sold it for me was this one from the 2.0 Test, where a chap ends up getting rescued by another player after losing his ship. It basically shows off the transitions and various bits like boarding and fps and just the scope of what interactions can happen.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjDe0V7CTRs[/youtube]
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I gave this another go yesterday seeing as how I should be able to run it decently now. Walking around the hangar is fine, but as soon as I try any of the training missions the game start stuttering and freezing no matter what graphical setting it's on. There seem to be various reasons for it but no real answer on how to solve it. Which sucks.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Welp. I think they've actually gone and made a good chunk of what they promised.

Gamescom 2016 video is out:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GucYhhLwIxg[/youtube]

Notable times / Things I've spotted:
~7:45 + 10:40 Demonstrate the new planet landing. Landed in an apparently random spot and one of them has got out. The draw distance and scale of the planet/moon is impressive.
14:00 - Elite style landing at the facility, rather than all the automated ones from earlier demos.
16:55 - Inside of Levski, a new location. Obvious shades of Aliens, but also a big nod to Bioshock's Rapture, just less watery and Art Deco.
17:30 - Extremely impressive demo of a chap inside Levski looking out at his mate flying a Freelancer outside of Levski. Basically showing internal and external's are the same instance.
28:45 - Leaving station and planet, again quite impressive demostration of how seemless it all is, especially as it takes them over 2 mins to actually fly through the atmosphere.
31:20 - Bit of multi-crew space combat, nothing not seen in plenty of other youtube videos, but worth watching if you've never seen it before.
33:30 - EVA action. Jumping from one ship to another as part of the mission. This looks fun.
41:30 - New speeder/mini fighter thing. Looks cool.
44:00 - Landing on a new moon, taking the fighter they'd nicked and loaded onto their Freelancer, and then using on the moon.
Also impressive is ground vehicles working just like spaceships and having interiors that you can move around in.

I'm still completely not sure that the entire mmo project will come good, but I'm quite looking forward to Squadron 42 now.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Wow, they got Lumpy Space Princess to do the voice over as well.