Our 5punk Needs You

News and important info, general banter, and suggestions for 5punk

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Our 5punk Needs You

Post by Dog Pants »

We've had a quiet weekend, and most of us have noticed a fairly long term lack of much in the way of new membership for, well years really. Some things can't be helped, like the lack of any games which have really caught our attention, although there are other large social clans out there who thrive (Enemy Boat Spotted, for example). Other things we could set about though in order to attract new 5punkers to bum and make the site a place people want to visit. Many of us have families, jobs, other commitments that we just didn't have when the site was young and thriving, and no individual really has the time to be taking it all one. So with the silent approval of the other oranges I'm throwing it out to the community to assist. Now don't take this as all doom and gloom - we're on average hitting 76 posts a day, which is a reasonable amount of activity, and the recent speed at which the donations came in for the hosting shows that we all love this place. We run the risk of becoming too introspective though unless we have an influx of fresh juice to replace those who drift away. More members also mean that rather than being the only guy who likes your new game, you might find a few more like-minded gamers. That's got to be worth a bit of effort surely? So, here's my plan:

1. Suggestions please. You guys are all intelligent and verbose. I have some ideas which I'll outline below, but the community as a whole is a huge resource of talent and creativity. What would we like to have?
2. Be 5punky out there. This isn't just down to the code monkeys - our unique community ethos is our main draw and that's something every one of us can promote by being more visible in games. If people see us being funny, helpful, and making trolls look stupid then they might just drop in. Remember that the thing that binds us together is that we're all not arseholes, so we want to attract not-arseholes. After that, if they get the sense of humour they'll stay.
3. Chip in. As I've said, nobody can do this on their own, but if most of us do a little bit each suddenly we're making progress. Activity with visible results will provoke more activity, and by putting in some of our ideas we'll make the site somewhere unique and interesting to be. We all know it is that already, but we need to make that visible for a first time visitor.

So here are my ideas, of varying feasibility:

Return of the 5cheduler. It wasn't used a huge amount before the site upgrade, but having the option to use it was very handy, especially if we do manage to get new members in.
Return of the Disco Board. The daily threads are fine, but the disco board was a far more suitable place for it. It's less intimidating for people, and more visible.
Return of the TS widget on the front page, because seeing people on TS makes other people want to jump in. Leading to...
Return of the front page. It's a nicer landing site and has potential to be a greater portal with a few upgrades such as...
The review database. Bali got a working prototype of this up and running, and it has huge potential. Being able to click on a game/film/book and read short reviews from 5punkers is a very handy resource, as opposed to searching through forum threads. 5punkers are veteran gamers and usually of pretty good taste. I've not seen anything like it outside of metacritic, and our opinion is much more trustworthy than the internet unwashed.
A 5punky blog. We've thrown the idea around before and had a couple of goes, but inevitably we sort of lose interest. I propose that rather than having a couple of us doing it, we all have access to it. If every other active 5punker posted an article once a month we'd have a new article almost every day. I don't see even that level of traffic, but I reckon we could probably get one a week between us. Access rules could be changed later to reflect, say, post count.
RSS feeds to the front page. Just a title is enough, streaming from popular gaming and maybe entertainment sites such as PCGamer, RPS, Eurogamer. Credit given to the sources, of course. At the very least it would save me having them all shortcutted on my browser :P
Forum avatars. We all like them.

I realise that much of that requires web skills, and I also realise that there are an obvious few who have them. There's not a lot we can do about that, but I'm willing to learn what I can as are a few others I'm sure. It might be worth a few basic lessons to lighten the load. If the techie stuff goes in though the work should fall of and be taken over by content generation. We all do that every day in the forum, so it won't be difficult, we just have to remember to do it. I don't expect anyone to do anything, by the way. We're all here for the company and nobody should feel like it's a second job. But we love this place, right? Lets make it a better place. Who's with me?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Re: Our 5punk Needs You

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

All sounds good to me.

A proper frontpage would be very nice, as would a scheduler.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Couple of suggestions:

1) The mind set of "urgh a random - kick him!" needs to stop. Generally I don't mind a lot of the gaming public, and although a lot of them are cocks the majority tend to get dismissed before they've even had a chance. If we insist on only playing with 5punkers then we're really limiting ourselves and soon that pool will dwindle away to nothing.

2) More 5punk tags in games. I'm guilty of this in TEEF as I don't have the 5punk tags in my name (I confess, I can't remember how to change my name). More tags gives a bigger profile, even if someone just happens to ask who we are. Talking of which...

3) We can be a bit precious about "not being a clan". People on the internet don't really care about the finer points in the differences between a clan and a "loose collection of like minded individuals brought together via the medium of computer games". OK, the latter better explains who we are, but if someone asks to "join our clan", fuck it and just say yes, they'll discover the rest later. If they don't like it they'll leave, but at least they were given a chance. If GW2 gets going and we get a clan, let's accept random weirdos (as long as they don't steal all our stuff)

I'm sure there's other stuff but that's all I can think of for the moment. I've noticed myself that I very rarely chat in game, either in text or voip (and I doubt I ever will in the latter to be honest), but maybe we all need to make a concerted effort to be more 5punky not only in the way we play, but in the way we interact.

To be fair none of this has been helped by the lack of good quality multiplayer games recently.

4) Planning. We have some fucking great laughs on TS and in various games, but we never have anything to show for it. If we're going to build our profile then maybe we should plan ahead when we're looking to play certain games - i.e. is someone going to fraps it, is someone going to record TS, are we going to try and do something specific? A lot of the fun we have comes from unplanned, unrehearsed craziness, but how many of the various video game blogs and youtube things out there are 100% off the cuff? Not a one I'd wager. Let's set some projects and publish the results.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Roman Totale wrote:Couple of suggestions:

1) The mind set of "urgh a random - kick him!" needs to stop. Generally I don't mind a lot of the gaming public, and although a lot of them are cocks the majority tend to get dismissed before they've even had a chance. If we insist on only playing with 5punkers then we're really limiting ourselves and soon that pool will dwindle away to nothing.
To be fair, this really only happens frequently on games that have limited player slots. Not saying it's not a problem, but it's a bit of a catch 22 as with those games we want to play with each other (oo-eer) but there's often not enough of us to get a second game up and running to take into account the random(s) taking up the slots.

I think the biggest things that will help to make this place more active will be the creation of a new front page (with TS widget), the 5cheduler and also the discoboard returning.

Those things were bloody good, especially the scheduler (not only used for games, bumdays too!) and the TS widget.

I'd also like to see Trev make a return in a dedicated news section (that also self cleans any emtpy threads after 35 days or something) as that was great for prompting discussions between us and making us aware of games.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

We've talked a lot about projects we'd like to do, like recording some of us playing through a game, recording podcasts, etc - and I'm sure have plenty of unedited or unusable footage around of when we've tried to do that. Equally, a number of us have gaming-related blogs we occasionally post to and tweet and post all sorts of stuff much of which even if not games-centric could still comfortably sit here and enhance the site.

While we celebrate our chaotic nature, it has also rather held us back where large projects are involved. Someone having to edit hours of video/audio is a big project. Redesigning 5punk so that the board can somehow incorporate all our ideas is a massive project. I think we may have been too ambitious, and that rather than trying to get everything all running at once and fully integrated, we should set smaller goals, make them into mini-projects, list them on the board somewhere along with what's required and have people sign up for the bits they can do - whether that's programming, web design, writing, talking, playing, musicing, posting, project-managing, tweeting about an upcoming project or simply playing an 'NPC' in a short film or machinima.

Of course we don't wish to discourage grand ideas, and these smaller projects should probably contribute in some way to what we might want to see of this place in an ideal world. So, 5punky Kickstarters, then - post a proposal and instead of money from the backers, get a commitment to a bit of their time helping out, or at least some comment about whether we could see the idea working. Let's set up an area for that, even it's just a few threads.

Of the ideas already mentioned, here are my thoughts on how we could maybe cut a few corners to get things done now, yet keep the connect with the main site and worry about full integration later on:

Front Page - For this, I think it's key. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece, just link the board with the other stuff we'd like to do. The Youtube channel, podcasts, a blog, the wiki, a twitter/google+ feed, Teamspeak and the 5cheduler. A feed from the board would be nice, but a link is fine. It might not be everything we all want at first, but could be built into a landing page we all use in preference to the board. Could even be CMS-based so easier for non-web designers to add content.

Blog - I like the idea of a central 5punk blog with multiple contributors, but have worried it takes discussion away from the board. However, the situation we have now, all with our own blogs is that discussion is taken away from the site. I think we should focus on generating content first, and worry about linking everything together later on. It would be pretty easy to set up a Wordpress blog on the hosting, though it would have to use different authentication to the board - that's probably for the best in any case.

Twitter feed - I don't know how doable this is, or whether it would add anything. I think it would require a '5punk' twitter account which follows all of us, but someone more knowledgeable about social media could explain more. I have a nice app on my phone called flipboard which pulls images from my twitter and presents them as if they are an actual proper news feed.

Youtube channel - needs frequent posts to be of much use, perhaps we should look at doing short, funny things just to get some traffic through there.

Teamspeak/Scheduler - needs investigation into whether a couple of simple plugins/widgets on the home page could do this for us.

Reviews/Disco board - if anyone can think of quick/easy ways to do these, please say as I've not got any. They need to be fairly robust as they are both prime targets for spam, yet easy for 5punkers to add to. I think integration with the main board might be a neccessity for these.

Opening up 5punk so that everyone can contribute easily to our great Library of 5punk seems like a positive step to me. Us oranges are just the librarians, it's you guys who are the authors of all the books.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

5cheduler's a good call. Think it might be a bit fiddly, but if we can get it up there it'd be great.

TS Widget's good, but I always just bookmarked the forum page. Could we get a "#/50 users on TeamSpeak" indicator somewhere in the forum header? The word "Teamspeak" could link to the set-up page on the forum with the password. I'm not precious about the server details being spread around, as I or one of the other moderators are usually online to boot off troublemakers.

Totally agree on the [5punk] tags in game. I think we removed them back when we were dicking around on servers and didn't want to give the site a bad name, or when we didn't want people to think they were being flooded by a whole clan when we joined a single server. They need to come back, and we should interact with people on VOIP more (i.e. Not have it turned off by default!)

Forum avatars. Yes. I will whore myself out to anyone who wants one, and make a bunch of default avatars if we get this feature back. I miss it so, and it made identifying who was saying what in a thread a billionty times easier.

The Blog sounds great. You can get a cheapo wordpress one and invite "Authors" by email to contribute, which allows you to pre-write posts and schedule them ahead of time. Would be good to just leap in, write something and know that it goes in the big queue of stuff to be posted. Tagged and categorised properly it could be a fantastic 5punky gaming resource.
FatherJack wrote:Twitter feed - I don't know how doable this is, or whether it would add anything. I think it would require a '5punk' twitter account which follows all of us, but someone more knowledgeable about social media could explain more. I have a nice app on my phone called flipboard which pulls images from my twitter and presents them as if they are an actual proper news feed.
I compiled this some time ago, and have a column set up for it in Tweetdeck: https://twitter.com/#!/Grimmie/five-punkers
If there's anyone I missed out please let me know! I might remove X-Fire, as it just seems to be linked to their YouTube account.

I'd love to do more YouTube "Let's Play" videos of old games or scary ones, and edit and make more podcasts, but I fear my ageing computer's going to need an upgrade first. Once it's all grease lightning and blinking LEDs I'll get right on that. I'm especially looking forward to recording and publishing Skype D&D.

I'm sure I'll think of other things when I'm more concious, but those are my thinkings from what other people have said so far.

Yay, 5punk. I love you guys. Now let's herd some kittinz.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Some quick pre-work ideas -

Mentioned a 5cheduler to FJ at beard bash - I think the visibility of games and events dragged the lurkers onto TS which helps with re-integration to the posting community as well. It is a good thing.

Could we kick our discussions about various topics into the blog-sphere as well? We had a few good ones and then they died off.

As much as I hate facebook, possibly we should add it to the social media aspect we're touting?

If we have an old style disco then it encourages quick and dirty posts, more involved discussion can be kept to other areas and we can return to chev-ronning and crap we seen on youtube.

Lets dig up some old games again, codern morefare etc and tout our 5exy 5hit right there.

Other ideas to follow!
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Twitter has been mentioned a few times, how about a 5punk twitter account? We could have a handful of the more twitter aware 5punkers manage it, and use it to point at funny things, stuff we are doing, "oh no, the site is down, someone call Berk" messages etc. If we do end up with blogs, lets plays and audio stuff it would be an excellent way of updating people when new content is posted.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

Touting ourselves out a bit in a non spammy way on places like rockpapershotgun and other gaming oriented websites and jumping into a few games with them could help bring a bit of fresh blood. I know pants and joose already play in the rps blood bowl league and ive played a few bits on and off with them and often try and make a nod in this direction when i do.

Theres always a few different games being organised/played on the rps forums (who seem to have a fairly similar mindset to us) and is worth a look if you fancy playing something different, i imagine the same could be said for alot of the popular gaming sites

I agree the return of the frontpage, 5chedular and ts widget would help in both increasing activity amongst us and first impressions of new people coming by and having 5punk reviews featured on the front page would be great, i generally put more weight behind them than most reviews as i trust you lot and they are always well thought out and written.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

After discussing this briefly with Pants at the weekend, I do think we have all grown up somewhat, and many of us have less time to spare on our hands.
Having said that. I for one still log in at least a few times each day, but I tend to only post occasionally. Its mostly just apathy/lethargy and my lack of having something imaginative or worthy of posting. It would be good to get the forums active and buzzing again to help the conversations and discussions flow/snowball.
Would also be good to get some 5punky fresh meat to help spam post more on the forums.

I did like the front page and its feeds/statusy things - although like many others i tended to jump straight through to the board. I think they do help encourage community playing etc.
I think a little status overview box at the top in the forum header giving an indication of members on TS, those currently playing games etc then when clicked on could expand out with more information about who is playing what games, who is logged into TS etc. I might have a crack at playing with the steam API to see how feasible it would be to pull live 5punky info into a forum widget of some sort.
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

Dog Pants wrote:Return of the 5cheduler.
Return of the TS widget on the front page
:above: This

Which is probably why I don't play online anymore and I've just got into the habit of not playing online PC anymore, I have less time as well but when I do get the time it would be great to see who else is around or to schedule a game. Yes I could ask or go on steam to check, but, you know, I'm a 5punker = lazy.

I've also no idea what is popular to play anymore so probably wouldn't take the chance of spending money on a game if it was only popular for a week (Well, I would spend a tenner , but probably not buy a AAA game at launch)

Scheduler and TS would help to see if something is being played regularly even if I'm not around to join in. Could TS rooms rooms be named for the game being played?, just thinking of how 'the outside world' can see what's being played.

If we can get more of the current members playing regularly then it might appear to be a busy place to attract newbies.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

Pulling steam status and current games in progress into the forum seems very dooable.
After a quick play with it i have got a bodge of it working: http://clintweb.co.uk/random/5tatus.php
Obviously that layout is a rush job, but the data could be easily formatted into a frontpage/status box, and would need caching etc as its pulling from steam live every time its called atm.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Nice find Prof. Needs integrating in a meaningful way, but I can think of some nice uses. Having a list of 'now playing' alongside a TS widget would be a nice display of who's doing what, and if it could be integrated into posts like the old xfire thing, maybe looking like a rank icon, that could be a nice addition.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Dog Pants wrote:and if it could be integrated into posts like the old xfire thing, maybe looking like a rank icon, that could be a nice addition.
This.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Would we be able to use a blogging thing on the front page which ties into Twitter and Facebook so that when a post goes up something appears in there? We already have a Facebook account, and a Twitter account with the password put in the mod forum or something would be easy enough to do, but we need a way for them to get content and the best way is probably for them to draw from the content we're already publishing.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Dog Pants wrote:Would we be able to use a blogging thing on the front page which ties into Twitter and Facebook so that when a post goes up something appears in there? We already have a Facebook account, and a Twitter account with the password put in the mod forum or something would be easy enough to do, but we need a way for them to get content and the best way is probably for them to draw from the content we're already publishing.
This would certainly help with our tendency to leave stuff half done. Automagic updating of everything, as long as it doesn't get too spammy.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:Would we be able to use a blogging thing on the front page which ties into Twitter and Facebook so that when a post goes up something appears in there?
Probably, but the fastest way to lose twitter followers is to spam them with automatic updates, so we would need to be a bit careful with it. You wouldn't want it to autopost about absolutely everything, but maybe the highlights would be good; if there was some way to get it to only post about blog updates/lets play uploads and the like then it might work well. To be honest though, it would probably be better if we used it something like how RPS uses theirs: when you upload something, jump on twitter and tell people you have done so. You cant beat the personal touch.

I know we are bad at remembering to do shit like that though. Could we have something that reminds us about twitter/FB when we post things on here?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Two conflicting posts there, both of which are correct.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Joose wrote:Could we have something that reminds us about twitter/FB when we post things on here?
I think this is a good idea, a pop-up that says something like

Code: Select all

Don't forget to update twitter and facebook you fucking dickhead
And then has a little button to open the relevant thing to just put a quick line in and it's done.

I use that exact phrase when I put a post it note by my front door about my house keys, it seems to work because I've never forgotten them and locked myself out.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

By good idea I mean I think it's better than my automagic spam idea, that could easily go wrong without more wrangling time than the pop-up idea.