News and important info, general banter, and suggestions for 5punk

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Our 5punk Needs You

Post by Dog Pants »

Ooh!

A lot of useless information on there, but it's good to see it can be mined.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Yep, it's just waaaay too big (twss)
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

Yep all that and more. We could pick whatever data we want to display, and integrate it directly into the forum. I'll have to have a play with phpbb to see how easy it would be.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

This seems to offer some popular advice on how to get the little Steam profile running in the profile section. From the screenshot it looks pretty good, if fairly simple, and from the slightly confused responses it looks like most people got it working with only a few pointers. Hell, I'd have a go myself but I don't have a server to cache it or a test forum.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I found the PCG Guild Wars 2 guild site (http://www.pcggw.com/), which has a fairly handy front page. Not exactly what would work for us, but the central blog thread with calendar/5cheduler, TS widget, Steam stats, Twitter feed etc down the side would work well I think for the front page.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

A side feed for twitter and FB, plus maybe it has a little doodad fed from the who's online widget to say when someone logs in to 5punk and when someone logs in to steam?
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

Some kind of automated post to Twitter/Facebook when we start playing games together would be good, with maybe the server details and hashtag of the game... I'll have a think and see how this can be programmed.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

TezzRexx wrote:Some kind of automated post to Twitter/Facebook when we start playing games together would be good, with maybe the server details and hashtag of the game... I'll have a think and see how this can be programmed.
Thats a cool idea.
I could build that into the steam integration.

Dont want it too spammy though, perhaps by setting a minimum number of people playing the same game at the same time before tweeting?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Good call. Doesn't even need to be a particularly high threshold given the amount of people we usually have playing. Four is probably more than enough.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

ProfHawking wrote:
TezzRexx wrote:Some kind of automated post to Twitter/Facebook when we start playing games together would be good, with maybe the server details and hashtag of the game... I'll have a think and see how this can be programmed.
Thats a cool idea.

Dont want it too spammy though, perhaps by setting a minimum number of people playing the same game at the same time before tweeting?
Definitely, and probably DP's suggestion of four (oo err!) is probably about right, especially as the quickest way to lose followers is to spam them.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I've been working for the last two nights getting a replica of 5punk up and running on my hosting - while it's pretty much a default phpbb install, it's always good to double-test stuff will work on it before going live. The fact it's taken me two nights kind of illustrates that it's not quite vanilla enough to be sure that everything will work out of the box on it.

It's here: http://5punktest.fatherjack.net and has pretty much everything the real 5punk does, all the users, posts, styling - everything apart from the spambot countermeasures I know stoat hand-coded and I can't get working on there, so are disabled. I've also upgraded it to the current version of phpbb (3.0.11) and removed all PMs.

You can log in with your usual credentials, but everyone except a few special new users are set with standard rights. Please PM me for additional access details, you can have board mod or admin rights, direct full access to the database as well as FTP(S)/shell (SSH) access if you require it - all completely independently of the live hosting, so you don't need to be scared about breaking anything.

I would ask that you keep a record of, or document any changes you make on there, so that they can be easily replicated on the live site when the time comes.

I really like the look of what Prof's done, but after a few reloads I get "Just a sec Prodding Steam...." against all the profile windows - we'll have to be careful that long pages don't get us blacklisted by the Steam API.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Multi-5punk!
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Argh, I'm confused as to which one is real! 5punkception!
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

ProfHawking wrote:Might be overkill, but what do you think about using github keep track of code changes? might make it easier when a few of us are working on it at the same time.
It's not a bad idea, but I've not used it so might need some info.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

I've split the steam stuff into a new thread so this can get back to general discussion about other improvements, suggestions etc.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

TezzRexx wrote:
ProfHawking wrote:
Thats a cool idea.

Definitely, and probably DP's suggestion of four (oo err!) is probably about right, especially as the quickest way to lose followers is to spam them.
Just to update you all, I've made a start on this. Doesn't look to difficult at all thanks to Steams API in XML format. Currently gettin' 'er done in VB.net but then probably move it over to PHP in the new year (once I've learnt how to use PHP that is...).
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Nice work Tezz, that would be a lovely little feature.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

might be worth having a chat tezz, the widget i wrote to meld steam into the forum probably does a lot of that work for you already.
That widget btw is still sitting ready to go whenever an admin wants to give it a go....?
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

o0o, I had shall prod you over the weekend Prof to have a gander at that, cheers!
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

Could someone with the magic admin privileges authorise my front page post? Just an article pimping out my STALKER let's finish.