Unnecessary advancements in shaving technology.

News and important info, general banter, and suggestions for 5punk

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Re: Unnecessary advancements in shaving technology.

Post by TezzRexx »

Dog Pants wrote:
mrbobbins wrote:I used a Mach 3 for years and not had any complaints
Agreed, I've used mine since the day I joined up (19th Aug 2000) and it's always done a decent job. Mind you, my face has all the sensitivity of 4chan, and as a result I only change my blade every few months despite shaving four times a week (I have fridays and the weekend off).
TezzRexx wrote:normally about £79 for a decent sized bag
:shock:
Sorry, 79p!!
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I might have to try the safety razor thing, I'm a menace with bics, end up looking like I got in a fight with a fan.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Check out Dorco's razors. They're supposed to be a lot cheaper than Gillette and Schick razors and available in bulk for GREAT SAVINGS.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I use a Gillette Fusion. Not brilliant, but I bought a few on offer that came with 4 spare blades underneath a couple of years back for something silly like a fiver each. Think I'm just about on my last blade.

I'm also sporting 4 parallel lines on my uppercheek where I managed to jab a fresh one into myself t'other day by sneezing while having a shave.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

buzzmong wrote:I use a Gillette Fusion. Not brilliant, but I bought a few on offer that came with 4 spare blades underneath a couple of years back for something silly like a fiver each. Think I'm just about on my last blade.

I'm also sporting 4 parallel lines on my uppercheek where I managed to jab a fresh one into myself t'other day by sneezing while having a shave.
You shave? :P
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Cut on the upper cheek - must be bum shaving.
randomgazz
Unicorn
Unicorn

Post by randomgazz »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:I might have to try the safety razor thing, I'm a menace with bics, end up looking like I got in a fight with a fan.
If you fancy trying it out before buying a fancy one, I got mine from a large Boots for about £5 with 10 blades.
Other than nearly cutting off my nose with the first attempt to get at the bit under my nostrils it’s been fairly successful.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

ooh, that's not bad, I'll nab one next time i'm near Leicester.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Le Bump.

Just had a shave with a double edge razor for the first time, admittedly it was a bit too small for my hands and the 'new' blade I put in was probably 20+ years old, and there was a little bit of blood where I nicked a spot or two, but by crikey it's a much closer shave than even a the new set of blades I've got in my Gillette Fusion.
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by The Shutting Downs »

as far as shaving goes, being bearded has it's advantages. You can store food for later, you don't need a scarf, and yo do't have shaveas often.

But I do have to tidy it up about once a fortnight< and mate has given me one of these:

I have to say, they are awesome. bit of getting used to, a nick is not life threatening and generally smaller than a razor blade 'tear'.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

I had my first shave with a DE today. Result = awesome.

Both multiblade vibrospazzers and eletrics have always brought me out in rashes, probably due to the "lift and cut" mechanisms they employ, and I've never really had a need to be clean shaven. So I've used a beard trimmer on lowest setting for years, but despite my fading youth it's never filled in properly and looks a bit naff. Other than that I should have the capability to look more presentable for time to time e.g. job interviews. Anyway, I remember talk of DE razors so gave it a go.

Firstly and most importantly - no rash or burn, yay! Although reading reviews on the shaving gel Sheriff linked, some people report reduction in burn just from changing to a better product. I don't think that would of helped me, but who knows.

Secondly - smoooooth (action).

Thirdly - it wasn't the closest of shaves around my neck, but that is undoubtedly down to not being down with the technique and being gentle with it lest I lose half my blood through my face (doesn't seem very easy to cut yourself despite what I've read from some beginners - called safety for a reason I guess). Also the shaving gel I used, King of Shaves, which came highly recommended by traditional cream and brush snobs seemed to dry out very quickly. The rest of my face was as close a shave as I've had.

Fourthly - I remembered the other reason why I don't like to shave - I look 10 years younger. I'll take that in 20 years time but not right now thanks.

I'll continue with it regularly for a while to get used to it, then it's always there for when I do need to shave, or well, I might just stick to it anyway. I would suggest anyone else in a similar position to give it a go.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Someone needs to invent this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It8hF2Uquj4[/media]
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Using the power of blagging, I finally managed to lay my hands on some nifty grandpas shaving technology, namely a DE and related gubbins, so that was a fun use of not a lot of money.

MY FACE BURNS LIKE ANGRY BEES. but I suspect that's due to poor technique more than anything, certainly no worse than using a cheap razor.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:MY FACE BURNS LIKE ANGRY BEES.
Ah yes, I had that too the first time I used mine*. When you use a new blade never apply to much pressure as those things are sharper than they might appear, but after a few uses it'll be a smoother experience. Just never press it too hard, it's not like a modern gillette that has fancy stuff to stop you from scraping your skin off. Also, you'll never really achieve super smooth skin but that's for babies anyway. What also really helps, and adds to the grandpa factor, is an alum stone. Lasts aaaages and helps prevent irritation and soothes the burn.
I'd never use anything else now, the blades are so damn cheap and it's no worse than a bic razor. Still not using it to shave my balls though.

*For shaving my throat, not the precious hair on my face.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:Using the power of blagging, I finally managed to lay my hands on some nifty grandpas shaving technology, namely a DE and related gubbins, so that was a fun use of not a lot of money.

MY FACE BURNS LIKE ANGRY BEES. but I suspect that's due to poor technique more than anything, certainly no worse than using a cheap razor.
Buy one of these. There's a reason why pretty much every wet shave guide ever recommends one. They're good. (Edit: Sniped by Mr J).

Also, this shaving cream is the shit. Seriously.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I use a block of aleppo soap, lasts forever and does the job. Any grease or oil based soap should do if you're in a pinch though.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

I got donated a shitload of palmolive soap, a selection of blades, a couple of razors and a brush, so I've got most stuff sorted, the alum block is on the list, but I figure I'll give it a week or so, just so I have a nice idea if I'm sucking less. :)