Game Videos

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Game Videos

Post by Dog Pants »

I think I would have found Skyrim's combat a lot more fun if it was as tactile and visceral as Chivalry.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

spoodie wrote:
shot2bits wrote:edit: just had a play with that, the analog combat mode is only usable with a controller, which is strange seeing as its almost identical to mount & blades combat system which works more than well using a keyboard and mouse. a shame as i find first person games really disorienting with a controller
That is a shame. Is the Mount & Blades system the same or similar to Chivalry? If you haven't played it, it involves 3 types of attack (horizontal, vertical swings plus stab/jab) and blocking requires looking in the rough direction of the incoming attack.

After I'd played Chivalry for a while the melee combat in Skyrim was a bit lame, or more actually, even lamer.
Mount & blade and chivalry have quite different mechanics for the combat, in chivalry where you have a button for each type of attack and have a block button Mount & Blade (and also war of the roses) works by holding down the left mouse button and then pulling the mouse in the opposite direction to what you want to swing and then pushing in that direction, so for a horizontal swing to the right you click, pull the mouse left then push in to the right. I've not played M&B for a while so I could be wrong about the last step and it might just be press the mouse button and pull it in the opposite direction and release the button but the way i described it originally is how it works in dead island with the xbox controller.

overall i prefer the combat system for M&B than Chivarly but i find Chivarly is much easier to jump into and get to grips with and have some fun than M&B, especially as online in M&B you have to play with directional blocking which means you have to swing the mouse to the side you want to block and then right click rather than just pressing block ala chivalry but once you get the hang of it the fights feel really meaty and give you a proper fuck yeah moment when you manage to take someone down in a 1 on 1 fight.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Yeah Mount My Blade isn't actually too bad and is basically as you describe and is actually reasonably good apart from the now old and rather clunky animations and lack of bits falling off. It does make Skyrim feel like you're mashing buttons on a hit box my comparison though.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Hopefully Elder Scrolls 6 will have some more interesting melee, inspired by these games. Possibly not as complex as M&B, as that may be too difficult and annoying for such a game, but at least more than the aforementioned button mash system.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

spoodie wrote:Hopefully Elder Scrolls 6 will have some more interesting melee, inspired by these games. Possibly not as complex as M&B, as that may be too difficult and annoying for such a game, but at least more than the aforementioned button mash system.
iirc correctly the first or possibly second elder scrolls game actually have a combat system somewhat similar to what i described before, quite funny how some series get less complex mechanics as time goes on
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

shot2bits wrote:
spoodie wrote:iirc correctly the first or possibly second elder scrolls game actually have a combat system somewhat similar to what i described before, quite funny how some series are made more accessible to cater to 2 fingered console players
fyp
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

If that's Morrowind then a comment I read recently said the combat was frustrating. It was on the Internet, so must be fact.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

I kinda liked Skyrim's combat. Yeah, I said it.

I never felt as though I was button mashing with melee weapons - I can break other people's power attacks, do charge and retreat attacks, disarm and paralyse, unbalance a sprinting enemy, and take advantage of a disabled or staggered enemy.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Grimmie wrote:I kinda liked Skyrim's combat. Yeah, I said it.

I never felt as though I was button mashing with melee weapons - I can break other people's power attacks, do charge and retreat attacks, disarm and paralyse, unbalance a sprinting enemy, and take advantage of a disabled or staggered enemy.
:above: This, actually. I wouldnt say it was a paragon of games control schemes or anything, but the only thing about it that I would consider a real problem is the amount of times I would by trying to kill one guy and accidentally cleave my way through a bunch of allies in the process. But thats a problem with most, maybe all games that try to model this kind of melee really.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

It's not so much a problem with Chivalry as a feature. This is a game where having a 35% team damage statistic is considered borderline acceptable.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Divekick looks surprisingly complex considering the concept. Could be fun with local multiplayer.

Titanfall footage gets more and more betterer:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzYDrzk1xs4[/media]
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

That ...doesn't look too bad actually, I might like that.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GPf3MdVOKI[/media]

Looks interesting.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Urgh, jump scares. That's a big 'nope' from me.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

It looks pretty scripted, that trailer.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

B44F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_xaIv7Wo1A[/media]

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Did BF4 just get named Barf?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've seen things about this happening. I was interested, then I saw the word Premium. Don't think I'll bother now.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Apart from the same feelings as Pantsu on the Premium stuff (which inevitably will end up splitting the community into have and have nots *again*), what strikes me most is just how very frantic that video was.

Personally, I always enjoyed the slightly slower pace of BF2, and perhaps BFBC2. BF3 was on the edge for me, but some of that was due to poor map design forcing people to butt heads all the time.

This however, strikes me as going almost full on boombastic and I'm not actually sure I want that.