Marmite Series

Forum for organising the next LAN event

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Marmite Series

Post by Anery »

I have a feeling this is going to be a bit Marmite.

Multiplay have been holding the UKs biggest series of gaming festival (read: LAN Party) for years now. They hold one in spring, one in summer and one in winter. Last summer they moved from Newbury racecourse to Telford International Centre and became the biggest ever held in the UK with over two thousand people attending, that was the first i-series I attended and I had a good laugh and I went back for more in November.
The event is held in three big halls, two gaming halls which are separated into rows and rows of tables and chairs (and obv network and power points) and one that is separated into the exhibition (they have game previews and vendors trying to sell you stuff, competitions and last time there was a bucking bronco can of kick...) finals arena and bar (bar and food can be ordered from desk and delivered to desk)
Accommodation is either camping (included in entry) or there are two hotels on site. I camped summer and hotel'd the winter one and though the hotels are expensive they don't seem to care who is coming and going so you could fit four people in a room (50 quid each) food on site is expensive, but if you are camping you can bring bbq or there is Telford on your doorstep.
I am not going to try and pretend you don't get dick heads - of course you do, but they are not as numerous as you might think and the great thing about actually being physically next to somebody is that they tend to avoid all that smack talking idiocy - nothing like some cupcake squaring up to a loltard to make they shit themselves (also quite satisfying I might add) Saturday night is Pub Quiz night, last LAN I went to I managed to cobble together a team of people from those sat next to us and opposite us - turns out they were a good bunch of lads and we came in 3rd, the prize money went on moar booze. Saturday also sees the staff vs punters boat race in case anybody fancies themselves as a bit of a beer monster.
I think this could be a good laugh, a chance for us to get together and play games without interruptions from the missus, postman, family, phone... could go out for a curry some evening, take part in the pub quiz... not limited to those new fangled vidja gaems either, there are areas for those of us who want to get our card game beards on (I plan on bringing Death Angel with me) or a bit of poker. Also, watching MLG or the live finals with a beer can be a good laugh, last time they hosted the european leg of the IGN SCII tournament.

The dates have been confirmed, 24th - 27th August with Early Bird access available on the 23rd. Tickets are cheaper the earlier you buy them right now they are 64 quid, early bird access is an additional 15 quid.

I know most of you would never entertain the thought of going to a LAN party but it really is a good laugh and with 5punkers there it should be funny as fuck. I'm going at any rate, tickets booked already.

i-46 site
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Re: Marmite Series

Post by ProfHawking »

I am temptedings. In the absence of a proflan.. this might be good fun. Never been to a big lan.
Looking at my calendar though, after a few years of absence, the timing is spooky - that weekend would make a good candidate for a long overdue proflan!

One or the other then, i expect to go to a lan this summer! :ahoy:
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Ooooh, I would certainly like to. I suspect the cost may stop me though. I shall consider it further.

Proflan would be good though!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've got to convince the mrs yet, although I have petitioned her. If she gives me the green light I'm there.
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

I'd definitely be up for it but not sure I can do those dates, will have to wait and see after I'm married and the official pass system comes into horse.

What dates are the other ones this year?

(Always up for a Proflan as well :) )
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Possibly. In principal the idea of a 5punky gathering is good, but I just know all those people would annoy me.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'm thinking of it as a sort of nerdy festival, where I can drink beer and hang out people watching and hot-dogging with 5punkers. I suppose I'd be expected to bring a computer, even though I don't really want to. Maybe bring my laptop. Or iPad :P .
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Dog Pants wrote:where I can drink beer and hang out people watching and hot-dogging with 5punkers.
:?
What now?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Waxing lyrical, bantering. Maybe it's a niche piece of colloquialism, used only by a small group consisting solely of me.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

Dog Pants wrote:Waxing lyrical, bantering. Maybe it's a niche piece of colloquialism, used only by a small group consisting solely of me.
Kiiind of rings a bell, but I'm now picturing this regardless.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Might do that too.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've been chatting with Anery and remembered this. I've been conditionally allowed to go (condition being taking Mrs Pants to a friend's birthday party in Notts). Still not sure about which thing to bring (iPad is still preferable), but I am considering getting a hotel room. Anyone thinking of going and fancies sharing? I give cuddles.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Dog Pants wrote:I give cuddles.
I think we tried that at beard bash. It didn't go well.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Went pretty well for me. Next time I'll let you be the big spoon.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I think I farted on your dick a few times. I'd be surprised if it still works to be honest.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I wondered why nobody else has wanted to touch it since.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I am waiting to see what the fallout from I45 will be, seems they are camping in the same spot which is about a ten minute walk away next to the rugby club. Which means the showers will be better than the porta-showers, and there is a bar in the rugby club too (cheap boozes) they are also laying on more security and possibly lighting up the lane that you walk between venue and campsite. I am starting to lean more toward the camping option now, more BBQ!

http://static.multiplayuk.com/images/co ... _guide.pdf
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I done booked my ticket. I need to buy a decent sized tent now, but Mrs Pants likes that idea so I shouldn't have any issues. I plan to do far more fannying about and drinking than gaming. Anyone else interested?
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

Yes still interested!
Have tent, will travel.

Just need to work out timings. Did you guys get the earlybird access or not bother?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Yep, early access and leave booked. If we make Anery the ticket manager he can get us all sat together near the 5punky-minded groups he knows. Also, woo Prof! Not seen you in ages.