World of Darkness

Massively Mongy Online gaming. Bum your way through the internet public.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: World of Darkness

Post by Dog Pants »

Back on track, I always preferred the idea of playing a werewolf anyway. Vampires always seemed so pretentious. As this is called WoD and not Vampire the M(MO)asquerade it would be nice to think you could get other options eventually.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I suspect the plan is to follow a CoH style model. If this proves popular enough, they will release a werewolves expansion (maybe standalone), and possibly mages etc later. If they are not both in the game from the start, I would guess at the Sabbat being the focus of an expansion too.

I wonder if certain types of player will gravitate to certain clans. I can imagine nos being popular with ganky pvp types, and malls with people who are just playing for the lulz.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Dog Pants wrote:CCP related thread getting railroaded into Eve politics shocker!
This is 5punk. Tangents are to be expected :P
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Dog Pants wrote:Back on track, I always preferred the idea of playing a werewolf anyway. Vampires always seemed so pretentious. As this is called WoD and not Vampire the M(MO)asquerade it would be nice to think you could get other options eventually.
I can see gamers taking the opportunity for something different and playing as a pasty dude with a serious aversion to sunlight and who doesn't play well with others.

wait
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I want to be a Malkavian.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Roman Totale wrote:I want to be a Malkavian.
And in the game.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I predict Grief Central
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by The Shutting Downs »

Joose wrote:I suspect the plan is to follow a CoH style model. If this proves popular enough, they will release a werewolves expansion (maybe standalone), and possibly mages etc later. If they are not both in the game from the start, I would guess at the Sabbat being the focus of an expansion too.
Looking athe video, this seems to be set in White Wolf's 'New' World of Darkness, so no Sabbat, but a more political base.

You have the 5 clans; Daeva (pretty boys and girls, mix of Brujah and Toreador),
Mekhet (Insightful and think Some Lasombra traits),
Nos, Gangrel (As before),
Ventrue (Malkovia is an illness in the Ventrue Bloodline, ventrue are generally a bit nuts anyway)

You then have 5 Covenants; Circle of the Crone (Earth magics, worship a crone goddess),
Lancea Sanctum (Holy Magic from God),
The Invictus (The Camarilla),
The Carthians (The Anarchs),
the Ordo Dracul (Followers of Dracula, after vampiric perfection)
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

The Shutting Downs wrote:Looking athe video, this seems to be set in White Wolf's 'New' World of Darkness, so no Sabbat, but a more political base.
It's the old WoD. CCP have stated so multiple times.
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by The Shutting Downs »

The WoD logo is the new one, as is a lot of the artwork.

I'll be interested to see what does come out.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Oh dear. Seems like CCP have been laying off staff, and according to PCG most have gone from the WoD team. This makes me sad, especially since it would seem then that their priority is churning out more expansions to piss off Eve players.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

That wasn't unexpected.

People have been questioning how they could afford to run three products off the back of one for quite a while and with all the shebang that happened in the summer, some enterprising chaps looked over CCP's accounts. Turned out they've got a mahoosive loan repayment in the mulitmillions due soon, think it next month or early next year. I expect they're saving up the Eve subs to pay for it.

Looking over the press release, I think it's the wrong decision. I can't see Dust 514 being the big hit CCP think it's going to be if it's only confined to the PS3. I also think that the fact it's a shop based RMT model isn't going to work in it's favour (all indications are that EvE's version has expectedly fallen flat, the biggest tell is CCP stopping release of the QEN), however it does seem to to be the more complete of the projects, after all the tech for walking in stations hasn't made it to Eve yet, there's no multiplayer aspect.

Edit: They've sacked the community teams. People like Wrangler, Zymurgist and Fallout have gone. Goddamnit, that sucks.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

That does suck. Like Buzz, im not surprised they have laid people off. Im kinda surprised they ditched WoD rather than Dust though. Like you say, I dont think its going to do all that well.

"Hey, average console gamer! How would you like a complex FPS built by guys who have so far only made one game in a completely different genre on another format? And how about getting your orders from PC players, who as a community will almost certainly treat you as a community like brainless scum? Oh, you are going to play some Modern Warfare (or whatever is the big PS3 FPS at the moment, I dunno) instead huh? Well, ok I guess..."

Does seem like a much harder sell than going for an MMO (genre they are experienced at) on the PC/possibly consoles too (bigger market) based on an established and popular franchise. They are pros though, im sure they know what they are doing...

*looks at the Space Monocle debacle*

oh.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

If they've sacked the community teams, expect some real shit to start coming out of the woodwork soon. CCP is on the road to rapid fail, despite disaster control blogs from lead devs. Mind you, apart from sinking a good proportion of my life into Eve, I've long since moved on from it so don't care much beyond it being the slow demise of another independently minded PC based MMO.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

The demise here is seemingly due to the devs apparent misdirection and inability to listen to their paying customers. Other independent MMO's have mostly failed by being half built, rushed out and rather shit as a result.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Supercap nerf is the only thing that's vaguely piqued my interest enough to actually bother reading the whole thread. Still cba to resub though.
eRabbit
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by eRabbit »

It's a shame they fucked things up, I have some very fond memories of Eve.

The game's pretty good too.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Looks like this isn't as dead as we thought;

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/ ... _and_news/
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Oh yeah, I could of mentioned that it was still being worked on back in Nov/Dec. CCP have been quiet but have said they had a "smallish" team working on it, mostly the Atlanta office aka CCP North America aka Whitewolf.

Also: WIP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgYScVhAjjw
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

CCP have banned magic unicorn vampires from WoD.
Chris McDonough wrote:You could throw sparkle on your screen and at least there it would sparkle for you.
:lol: