Warhammer MMO?

Massively Mongy Online gaming. Bum your way through the internet public.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheJockGit
Boba Fett
Boba Fett

Warhammer MMO?

Post by TheJockGit »

Can't recall this being mentioned anywhere but I would love it to be good...

http://www.darkmillenniumonline.com/
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

There's been rumours of it kicking about for a bit. Not much in the way of gameplay pointers though.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Can't help but feel that MMOs in future times are always destined to fizzle out fairly quickly.
Tabula Rasa and Global Agenda didn't have Warhammer's IP, but I'm not sure that's enough to save it.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Grimmie wrote:Can't help but feel that MMOs in future times are always destined to fizzle out fairly quickly.
I totally agree. :P
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Joose wrote:
I totally agree. :P
Okay, okay. Infantry based ones.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Grimmie wrote:Can't help but feel that MMOs in future times are always destined to fizzle out fairly quickly.
Tabula Rasa and Global Agenda didn't have Warhammer's IP, but I'm not sure that's enough to save it.
I disagree, if a game is good enough at launch then the prospects are good. Problem with Tabula Rasa was that it was broken and people didnt want to see point blank shots miss, mixing a 3rd person shooter with RNG was a bad move. As for Global Agenda, it held my interest for a short while before lag pissed me off, shoddy infrastructure is a big reason why MMOs fail.
Warhammer - Broken on Launch
Conan - A few bugs, stuff you could get away with had there been anything substantial after Tortuga

Gone are the days when a game could launch with bugs and expect a decent reception, these days if it aint finished don't launch. Incidentally, WoW luanched with a shit load of bugs but it was acceptable back then - so they got away with it and became the behemoth that it is today, I wonder how they would have done in todays environment.
Lets not forget the two subscription problem, to launch a subscription based model you will be competing as second sub to a warcraft account (not all the time, but most) many people are not even willing to give a 30 day trial a go whilst they have a subscription active - why would they? they would be paying for a product you don't use.
I reckon the market WILL open up, but not until WoW has fallen - and like I have said before, it won't be one single mmo that does it, a combo of 2 or 3 will.
Finally, if Rift is anything to go by, the standard of MMOS released just shot up a level.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

:above: What Anery said

I dont think its that future infantry MMO's are doomed to fail, I think its that all the future infantry MMO's that have come out so far have been, to a greater or lesser degree, shite.

Dont forget that theres been a hell of a lot of fantasy MMO's that have failed utterly too. Its just that there are a lot more fantasy MMO's, so *some* of them have been not shit and therefore done better.

The common factor has always been quality, not setting.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've said it in a few places, but from what I've read I really think GW2 will herald the next generation of thinking in MMORPGs. It's subscription free, so not only will people be put off by a constant outlay, but normal people won't necessarily feel compelled to 'complete' it as fast as possible. You can come and go, drop it for another game for a little while, then come back again penalty-free after months. The content has been created in mind of breaking free from the current quest mechanic, and has been touted as being very personal to your character, offering up little bits of real estate to show your friends which will vary based on decisions you make. The group quest mechanic that currently makes Rift shine has been put in there, and even the normal quests are given to you dynamically rather than by hunting down guys sporting exclamation marks. It has also ditched the instanced model that the original used, and which was my only real gripe with it. I'm not saying it'll be the legendary 'wow-killer' (actually, I think WoW itself will be that in years to come), but I suspect it may be a SWTOR-killer.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I wonder if there's another factor for MMO success based on WoW, that is people are more likely to pick up an MMO if they're pissed off with/bored of wow.

Release an MMO when wow is in a high phase, say just after an expansion dropped, while stuff is new and exciting, you'll get pushed aside for a few months.

However, wait until wow is in a low spot, once most guilds have gone from decent progression to farming and slow progress, and everyone has their main and a few alts to 85, just sitting around in a city doing nothing. Then a shiny new MMO will be very appealing, and have a decent chance at life.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I think there probably is. I remember not really enjoying LotRO because it was like WoW, but not. Now I'm playing Rift and I'm enjoying it for pretty much the same reason. The difference being I was very much enjoying Warcraft at the time, and now I've lost interest in it.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Oh, this is a coincidence. I feel vindicated.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05 ... -2-quests/
TheJockGit
Boba Fett
Boba Fett

Post by TheJockGit »

I really liked Guild Wars, despite it's limitations (no Jump, swim, persistent world) so I have really high hopes for GW2, definitely on my "get" list.

Hopefully t will come out at the end of a month when I get paid so I don't end up joining in with you bummers when you're all level eleventyfive.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Berk has a point, if SWTOR and GW2 arrive this christmas then actiblizz should be worried, no expansion to sell, guilds splitting because they are bored... There will still be people playing but it wil start the end. What will be interesting will be actiblizzs reaction, do you pump money into yet another expansion whilst your numbers dwindle? Do you accept your losses concentrate on your new product and hope to recapture you lost audiences? One thing is certain, when it falls the mmo world (see what i did there :p ) will be very different, kinda like the decline of the british empire.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Warhammer MMO?

Post by Dog Pants »

News on this here (at the bottom of the page). Source is being touted as genuine on RPS. If this is accurate it certainly won't be Warhammercraft, but I still think Space Marines should be an elite class.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I've read the RPS posts on it.

Even with the updated info, I'm a bit meh on it. Not enough to not even give it a look in like the new Star Wars mmong, but I doubt it's going to tickle my 40k fancy. It's quite interesting they're stating it's going to be closer to Space Marine action wise though, that is a good plus point.

I'm also kinda worried about lore-ness considering they're stating Grey Knights are the unlockable hero class for the Imperium. Unless they mean that only a small % of a server can be heros at any one time then I think they'd be better suited with things like Chaplains, Librarians, Dreadnaughts or other more common "heros".
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Interesting.
The game is no longer an MMO. It's now singleplayer with mulitplayer.

Colour me interested providing it sees the light of day, as it might be close to the lore. Which would mean awesome glorious space bastards if you're playing an Astartes.
Fred Woogle
Zombie
Zombie

Post by Fred Woogle »

I think I'll start playing table top again narf.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I think this game going single player is a good thing, but for controversial reasons. I thought the MMO sounded rubbish, so turning it into a rubbish third person console action game (okay, that's speculation but it's an educated guess based on Space Marine) leaves the license open to a good game with original ideas. Personally I'd like to see a squad based dynamic a-la Dawn of War 2 for a 40k MMO.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Personally, I would like it if they occasionally did a game that didnt have Space Marines as the focus. I know they are the most popular and everything, but I just cant get as interested in them as I can Eldar or Tau.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Personally I'd like for Space marines to not be a player class, all things being equal, since they're so vastly superior to most other infantry. Possibly have them as a prestige class along with equivalent elites from other races. That wouldn't be a popular move though, for the same reason anyone can play a jedi in the Star Wars MMOs.