Movie mini reviews

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

Re: Movie mini reviews

Post by Joose »

I actually liked it more than Hot Fuzz myself (though I agree its not as good as Shaun). There were for me as many laugh out load moments and I found the story to be a lot better. I still have to think for a minute to even remember what the plot to Hot Fuzz *is*. I think I just didn't like HF as much as most people.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I really enjoyed The World's End, laughed regularly almost the whole way through. I don't remember enjoying Hot Fuzz that much, but that was probably due to high expectations set by Shaun. The story was fine and it was good to see all the familiar faces (and voice at the end), from the previous films and other recent British comedies.

/edit
Oh and the soundtrack for amazing for me as it was the music I grew up with.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Elysium

Honestly I felt a bit let down by this. Obviously it was going to be extremely hard to come up with something better than District 9 and maybe I expected too much, but this film has too much nagging flaws too ignore.
the world Blomkamp created for this film is pretty unique and I really loved the hard, bleak sci-fi setting but it really isn't explored enough and instead we get more action scenes. Normally this would be a good thing but it turned a film that could've been great into an ok film, sadly enough. The camerawork is oddly nauseating at times and resembles that weird thing youtube does to shaky videos.

I also still find it hard to accept Matt Damon as an action hero, he lacks most of the things that made Wikus Van de Merwe such a great character and he never quite grabs the audiences' sympathy despite all the shit he goes through. Jodie Foster's evil mastermind is pretty bland. Sharlto Copley on the other hand is by far the most interesting character the film has to offer, his completely over the top psychopath Afrikaner character Kruger is a joy to watch mostly (as sometimes he's too over the top) and a complete reversal from everyone's favourite bumbling Afrikaner. You can tell he's still pretty new to acting but that doesn't take away that all the most interesting scenes in the film have him in it and I actually did a chuckle when he sings an Afrikaans children's song (warning, might not make you chuckle) and when he tells Matt Damon everything is lekker, ja!
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Sharknado

It's about tornados and sharks. Mostly sharks.

It's bloody terrible, but it sort of knows that at times.

Worth watching for the spectacle and the fact after watching it you come away knowing you could have written a better script and that you'd be a better director than what the film had :)
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

buzzmong wrote:Sharknado

It's about tornados and sharks. Mostly sharks.

It's bloody terrible, but it sort of knows that at times.

Worth watching for the spectacle and the fact after watching it you come away knowing you could have written a better script and that you'd be a better director than what the film had :)
Listen to this: http://www.earwolf.com/episode/sharknado/
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Kick Ass 2

I am dissapoint. It was...ok, I guess. There were bits that were funny. They seem to have taken an unusual approach to making a sequel: Where a sequel is normally the same as the first one with everything turned up a little, Kick Ass 2 is the same as the first one but with everything turned down a bit. Its not *as* funny, its not *as* violent, its not *as* sweary and the story is a little bit meandering.

Good point: Mother Russia is awesome. I have never before been so aroused by such an ugly looking woman. Its worth watching just for her. Probably not worth spending anything other than your time on, so I would recommend waiting till it hits the floor/television.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

Partridge doing typical Alan partridge type things. Really enjoyed it and found it very funny and there were very few references back to the TV shows so there wasn't a feeling of recycled gags. Could see a fair few of the gags coming but they were still very well executed, if you like Alan Partridge, you'll enjoy this :likesitall:

:starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starempty: :starempty:
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

13 assassins (2010)

Set in 1800's Japan, this film is about 13 samurai (technically only 12 of them are) that embark on a quest to assassinate the shogun's horrible brother in law.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film, the story is pretty simple and the characters are pretty black and white but that's okay really as it's beautifully presented and the film builds up nicely to an epic finale which I won't forget very soon. The CGI is a bit bad in places but it's so sparingly used it's hardly noticeable, something I wish more films would do.
It's a good film, watch it.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I enjoyed kick ass 2, wasn't as good as the original, but not bad by any stretch.

Also watched DEFENDOR the other day, oddly entertaining but not amazing, however it does get a bit more entertaining if you think of it as part of the kick ass universe.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Roman Totale wrote:The Artist

First off, this is a black and white, silent and arty film. Admittedly that won't appeal to a huge number of people, but I really, really enjoyed this film. It tells the story (silent) of a silent film star who is the big A-list star of his day. As the age of "talkies" dawns he loses his relevance and fades into obscurity, only to rise again thanks to the help of a former co-star. Very good, and the little dog is superb.
It took me until now to see it and I'm not sure why, it's certainly something different and quite lovely. A great film.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I just watched zero dark thirty.

It was rather good, I suspect there were some liberties taken for the sake of making a good story, but from what I've read regarding the assault, that whole section was spot on, and I think shown pretty close to real time, which pleased me.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:I just watched zero dark thirty.

It was rather good, I suspect there were some liberties taken for the sake of making a good story, but from what I've read regarding the assault, that whole section was spot on, and I think shown pretty close to real time, which pleased me.
Yeah I quite enjoyed it. Obviously plenty of liberties taken with reality, but the compound assault was mighty intense.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Roman Totale wrote:The World's End
Shaun of the dead and Hot Fuzz are two films that I will have placed besides me in my ship when I die so it's certainly not from a lack of love that I say this, but I didn't really enjoy The world's end that much. It seemed to lack some of the finer crafting that the first two had and it all felt a little ...weak and ultimately quite forgettable.

Maybe it needs some repeat viewings, but I'm with you on this Roman.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

fabyak wrote:Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

Partridge doing typical Alan partridge type things. Really enjoyed it and found it very funny and there were very few references back to the TV shows so there wasn't a feeling of recycled gags. Could see a fair few of the gags coming but they were still very well executed, if you like Alan Partridge, you'll enjoy this :likesitall:

:starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starempty: :starempty:
I watched this after The world's end expecting much less than the previous, but ended up enjoying it more. If you're not familiar with Alan Partridge you might not enjoy this as it's not for new viewers, they don't introduce any of the characters (apart from the new ones) so you might be feeling a bit left out. Otherwise, perfect Partridge stuff.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Rare Exports (2010)

A nice alternative to the usual Christmas films based off of this.

Very enjoyable and well-made Finnish film which is a bit light on the horror premise and never really explains much but that's okay. I guess you could say it's sort of like a Finnish answer to the excellent the troll hunter, and just as good.
Last edited by Mr. Johnson on December 27th, 2013, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Mr. Johnson wrote:Rare Exports (2010)

A nice alternative to the usual Christmas films based off of this.

Very enjoyable and well-made Finnish film which is a bit light on the horror premise and never really explains much but that's okay. I guess you could say it's sort of like a Finnish answer to excellent the troll hunter, and just as good.
I noticed this on a streaming service and remembered seeing the trailer some time ago. I shall have to try it, tis the season. Troll Hunter was pretty good.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

What I forgot to mention is that it contains copious amounts of old man wangs, so don't say I didn't warn you.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

Mr. Johnson wrote:What I forgot to mention is that it contains copious amounts of old man wangs, so don't say I didn't warn you.
I was sold even before you mentioned that.

The Finns are pretty messed up in that regard as far as my experience goes. I think all the sauna-ing goes to their heads.