Movie mini reviews

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Re: Movie mini reviews

Post by Roman Totale »

Joose wrote:Is it worth staying through the credits, or will I be ok to watch some shitty youtubed cam of the post credits thing?

In other words will it make me go "Oooooooooh! :w00t: " or "oh, ok"
The latter - again it's humorous, but it doesn't seem to pertain to any of the forthcoming films (like the other post credit scenes have).
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Roman Totale wrote:Iron Man 3Apparently there are several reviews stating this is the best Iron Man film so far. I disagree.
:above: This
Roman Totale wrote:The Bad - actually there's just one thing here, but it lets down the entire film: the plot. The story just seems to stumble from one event to the other, and it just doesn't flow very well. It felt like one episode taken out of the middle of a TV series. It's a bit of a confusing mess to be honest (not in a "I don't understand what's going on" way, but more that story strands seem to be picked up then forgotten about). I also thought the finale was a bit dull and rather repetitive.
:above: and this
Roman Totale wrote:Note: the end credit scene is after all of the credits. I wish they'd done an Avengers and put it after the 'graphics' credits - I was bustin for some bladder relief.
:above: and this too and then it was this
Spoodie wrote:It made me go: "That wasn't worth waiting for." And the music is obnoxiously loud throughout the credits, so it was difficult to talk while waiting.
Hell, it even started badly, where the other two have stormed in and punched you in the face this kinda stumbles on and looks embarrassed. Worst one of the three, still enjoyable, though I'd wait for the blu-ray.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I don't know about it being the worst of the three. I would agree that the first one remains the best so far, but I thought the second film was quite weak. This one sits somewhere between the first two for me.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

But can we agree that Ben Kinsley was the surprise highlight of the film?
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

spoodie wrote:But can we agree that Ben Kinsley was the surprise highlight of the film?
Oh yes. He was brilliant.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

His choice of team disappointed me.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

spoodie wrote:But can we agree that Ben Kinsley was the surprise highlight of the film?
Best Leer ever seen in Croyden
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Wherever that is.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I just came from watching iron man 3, it was ok.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

If you came when it was only OK I'd hate to see what happened if it was really good.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

:lol: oops.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

He spaffs with sprinkles in!

Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Dog Pants wrote:If you came when it was only OK I'd hate to see what happened if it was really good.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93dsT8a9aAU[/media]
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

We've not had a mini review in here for ages, so here's one.

Ironman 3

Visually it looked ok, Ben Kingsley was aces when he got to go full thespian, but the plot has a number of movie ruining holes in it.
Spoiler:
Right, so the overarching plot idea wasn't bad, with the aforementioned Kingsley being portrayed as an uber bastard of a terrorist, who later turned out to be a puppet quite literally for Guy Pearce's Killian. A fairly solid choice considering the last two films had the villians make themselves known very early on in a very obvious way. The only problem was that there was no justification for it all. There's even a scene where Killian happily tells everyone what he's up to and that he is faking terrorism to "gain control of supply and demand", but doesn't give any reasons as to what he gets from that or what's driving him. It's a big weak point of the plot.

That can be mostly forgiven, and the explaination may be on the editing room floor, but the biggest issue plot wise is the Extremis stuff being bonkers rubbish.

It started off well and gave the impression the film would be about sneaky near unkillable people doing dastardly things, I was even ok with it generating lots of heat (thanks to the explosions that resulted), but out of the blue they're all turning orange, have got fucking superpowers where they can suddenly go blow for blow with an Iron Man suit and in the case of Guy Pearce's character, can breathe fucking fire like a dragon!

The "comic relief" scenes with Stark's former driver/bodyguard Happy were just painfully unfunny.

I can also pick faults with the "technical" theme of the film with regards to the Iron Man suits and Stark's chest piece. The first and second films made a massive point of the suits running off Stark's chest piece, to the extent he was putting his own life in peril to push things to the limit. In this film, it's completely redundant. Apparently all the suits have their own batteries which seem to run out very frequently and are completely unlinked to the chest piece. He even charges one suit with a fucking battery at one point.

Then there's the end bit, which ties into the above. Stark gets heart surgery (where the electromagnet above him seems to do a fucking remarkable job of pulling the shrapnel shards away), the fist sized hole in his chest is apparently fixed very easily but the kicker is that Stark then decides to throw his final chest piece, the one he built in the second film using a custom made linear particle accelerator using the plans for the new element his father had secretly left him, into the sea. Just merrily chucks it into the sea with no regard what so ever.
Sadly, it's not just the worst of the Iron Man films, it's actually just a bad film.

3.5/10
:starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starhalf: :starempty: :starempty: :starempty: :starempty: :starempty: :starempty:
Last edited by buzzmong on May 21st, 2013, 0:15, edited 1 time in total.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

Wreck-It Ralph

Damn good! Nothing much to say as it doesn't need analysing, it's just a simple story told well in a funny, cute movie. References to games aren't actually that big a part of it*, and the way games work are only used loosely but it doesn't matter, it was nice to see a film based around video games. I even choked up, but then I am a big gayer. Only real negative for me was Jane Lynch. Generally I think she's great, just her voice didn't suit the character. Well it would suit that type of character, just not that way this one was designed. Or something. Ramble.

:starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starhalf: :starempty:

*Although I'm sure if you counted all the cameos in the background there would be a huge amount.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I enjoyed it, though I did feel like I was the only person in the theatre who recognised Paperboy, Tapper or QBert. You've reminded me I was trying to get hold of the Sugar Rush theme they play during the credits.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

I agree with all Thompy's review.

A very good film and the Rexxling enjoyed it thoroughly. Even Lady Rexx said it was just a good family film but different in it's own right, regardless of the game tie in.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I also thought it was nice to have a film not exclusively aimed at gamers that didn't present gaming as Satan who is called the Devil. It was genuinely funny too. The bit with the Oreos made me choke.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Star Trek Into Darkness

Just seen it. Really enjoyed it as I went in expecting more of the last and got something along the same lines, just even more action orientated. Although I will say that the writers really did try and enforce some of the values from TOS/TNG with their references to the rules and aims of Starfleet and the importance of the Prime Directive.

It does however lose half a star for one scene. You'll know when you see it because it takes the
Spoiler:
two most memorable scenes from Wrath of Kahn and mashes them together with a twist. Sadly the first part doesn't have the impact as the resolution is already given away if you're only half way paying attention to the dialogue earlier on, and the latter is Spock shouting "Kaaahhhhn!" which sadly just doesn't fit and is either Abrams making an extemely bad attempt at a homage, or it's a "haha, fuck you" to the hardcore trekkies

8/10
:starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starempty: :starempty:
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I was more miffed at the
Spoiler:
magic space blood bringing Kirk back to life. That part just completely ruins any impact his death had, especially with how blatantly obvious they made it. At the very least they should have left that shit until the next movie.