ARMAAAAGH!!! 2 Update

Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Re: ARMAAAAGH!!! 2 Update

Post by friznit »

I'd not spotted this, but if anyone ever felt like giving ArmA2 a go it's now free http://www.arma2.com/free

Of course there's a catch - it locks out the highest graphics settings and you can't use mods, which enhance the game considerably, but you can still play any vanilla mission and online.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

As incomprehensible as I found the demo, I'm a sucker for free stuff. Cheers Friz!
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

perhaps we should have a drunken fuckabout one evening? does the thing we used to use work? or a coop stomping of the SP
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

The thing we used to use being Domination should work I think, if you can find a vanilla version.

Here we go: http://dev-heaven.net/projects/domination/files

Hot link to the last version for ArmA2 (Non Op Arrowhead) v.211 http://dev-heaven.net/attachments/downl ... on_Pack.7z

The one you'll want from that pack is _West.Chernarus (or _West_AI.Chernarus if you want to be able to recruit AI dudes; or ofc the equivalent East if you want to play as a Communist)

Slap them in your ArmA2/MPMissions folder and you should be good to go.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

More info for ArmA2 Free and the full stuff if people are interested:

Arma2 Free: Full original ArmA2 completely free. The downside is the highest level of graphics settings have been locked out (no real biggy), there's no SP campaign (no loss, it's shit) and you can't use mods (biggest downer, they really make the game) but it's enough to let you know if you'll like it and you can play MP on vanilla servers.

If you do like it though, you'll want to get ArmA2 + Op Arrowhead expansion (also known as Combined Ops) or you can get the full Reinforcements pack which is both games plus all the DLC (BAF and PMC DLC isn't actually required to play even if other people have it as you get low poly models for free in the patch)

There are a veritable fuckton of mods out there, from AI enhancing, graphics, sound packs, interface and of course loads and loads of weapons, vehicles and units. Pretty much the one must have is ACE2, which adds too much to list here, but suffice to say almost everyone uses it.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Just had a look at all the packages. What a clusterfuck of confusion. Seems to get everything (all SP+MP+DLC) you need CO and Reinforcements.

The mind boggles why Reinforcements isn't just a megapack containing everything up to that point (it misses SP for A2 and Arrowhead).

Still, free version is installing right now. Time to find me some guides before being murdered quite badly, as per how I learnt my way around Op:Flash.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've still got ArmA2 installed, the original paid for version. I'm up for a go on friday/saturday night. As long as I don't have to do too much running. That's not why I signed up.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

By far the most comprehensive guide is the Shack Tack TTPs guide, which pretty much covers everything, although it's a bit American and comes at it from an internet army point of view, with the gameplay bit in between.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Fucking Helicopters.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Rofflecopters are easy once you get the hang of them, just gotta look out for trees
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Oh yeah, you might need an autorun bind too...

Do this.

fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Ahhhhh, now you mention it I do have something like that kicking around. I'll make sure I dig it out for this
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:Oh yeah, you might need an autorun bind too...
Do this.
Ah, I've already got my auto-cast function from Oblivion. Cost me all of 10p. Which isn't unexpected considering it's a stack of 1p's taped together :)
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I'm not falling for this and installing another incomprehensible army game. Even if it does look amazing.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

An autohotkey script should work:

Code: Select all

#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future 

AutoHotkey releases.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and 

reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.
#InstallMouseHook
#InstallKeybdHook

#IfWinActive ahk_class ArmA 2 Free
*NumpadAdd::
Send {w down}
Loop
{
    Sleep, 10
    GetKeyState, state, NumpadSub, P
    if state = D  
        break
}
Send {w up}
return
Numpad + to go, Numpad - to stop, might need some tweaking for running, or if those keys do other things.

Install AHK, Copy text, save as .AHK file, double-click to launch.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Right, so I've done the boot camp stuffs and managed to do the sole offline scenario in order to get a handle on it, but I have to say, as much as I'm enjoying it, it seems really clunky.

Not in a "you have to press lots of buttons to do things" kinda of way, but all the actions like switching weapons, changing gear and opening doors etc are slow to perform. Like the game just isn't that responsive to your input.

The free version also looks terrible, sort of OpFlash level. I think it does need the HD pack.

All said though, it seems quite fun. The AI seems a bit too good at times though, able to see me and shoot me easily despite also been prone in long grass (and therefore, I can't see them at all). Not to mention they seem to be a fair bit more accurate as well.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

It feels 'clunky' to begin with because it's actually more realistic. You have to forget your BEEF twitch reflexes and think more like a soldier- duck and cover, sprint across open spaces, suppress the enemy before moving etc etc. I guess it can be very frustrating if you're used to the fast paced instant deathmatch mayhem of regular FPS titles though.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

What friz said.

Arma will give you a massive adrenaline rush from the danger feeling a lot more real, because it has some consequences, like a long fucking walk, or getting gimped and bleeding out as someone tries to save you.

The Combat is so retardedly immersive, hence the story in the other thread - In BEEF, I'd've taken the guy out, then died and telecoffined home, once you get into it, it's a lot more realistic. Need something from your rucksack? get the fuck down and hope a bullet doesn't go through your skull.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

I have the free version installed and a day off tommorow which means i can do games tonight! anyone up for some manshooterying disevening?
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

friznit wrote:It feels 'clunky' to begin with because it's actually more realistic. You have to forget your BEEF twitch reflexes and think more like a soldier- duck and cover, sprint across open spaces, suppress the enemy before moving etc etc. I guess it can be very frustrating if you're used to the fast paced instant deathmatch mayhem of regular FPS titles though.
It's not the actions are slow to complete, but oddly it felt for everything but UI and shooting that there was a delay between me pressing a button and something happening, sort of like playing on a steady 300-400ping server. Bit odd.

Also, yes S2B. Manshoooterings can do.