ARMAAAAGH!!! 2 Update

Post by TheJockGit »

http://store.steampowered.com/news/4000/

Sweet... schedule GAEM!! to try it out.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Also Operation arrowhead has been released, which is arma, in Takistan, where you have to go and kill Takis.

No, I'm not joking.
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

:facepalm:
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Unfortunately it's one of these FOTM "standalone expansion" doohickies, which is another way of saying "we're charging you full price for more content".

Schedule a game for friday, either version.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Im guessing that with all the add ons we use its pretty pointless getting this?
TheJockGit
Boba Fett
Boba Fett

Post by TheJockGit »

I would rather try update than pay for extra content, not until I've heard if it's any good or not.

Game night would be best on Friday, I'm away on Saturday till Friday next week.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Pnut wrote:Im guessing that with all the add ons we use its pretty pointless getting this?
I've not tried it yet, but from what Berk tells me they've taken a lot of the good bits and improved upon them, added a nicely made island and a few more toys and heat textures, so thermal imaging finally works...which in itself makes me pretty happy in the pants.

I've not checked the forums yet, but my guess is most of the addons will be portable since it's the same engine.

ACE2 was getting unwieldly imo and ended up breaking more than it fixed so I wouldn't be averse to playing a game without that.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

What friz said.

and squad leader thermal imaging scope in OA. :) :) :) :)
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Thanks Spoodles! (for the thread move).

Sticky updated a bit, though I'm not even sure if we have a working server anymore.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Aaaaaaand it's fucked. The patching is messed up and you ca't join servers at the moment. At least, it's very sporadic and the 5punk one is right out. Even though we're all on 1.07 the server browser thinks you're on a different version and kick you out. There are a number of 'fixes' on the forums, but they don't work either. Believe me, I've tried them all in the last two hours trying to get this fucking thing to work.

Sorry, we'll just have to try again another day.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

friznit wrote:Aaaaaaand it's fucked. The patching is messed up and you ca't join servers at the moment. At least, it's very sporadic and the 5punk one is right out. Even though we're all on 1.07 the server browser thinks you're on a different version and kick you out. There are a number of 'fixes' on the forums, but they don't work either. Believe me, I've tried them all in the last two hours trying to get this fucking thing to work.

Sorry, we'll just have to try again another day.
This, there's a few possibilities to fix it ourselves, but they involve a full reinstall on the server. and frankly, I have better ways to spend the next 4-5 hours.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

BUUUUUUUUUUUUMP

I have a resurgent interest in this game since they release Op Arrowhead and British horses addons. But this time I'm gonna try something a little different: lolClan!

I've never been in a clan before (5punk doesn't count since we aren't one, technically speaking) so this is something of a departure for me. I've applied to join a semi sensiblish mech inf squad called VOLCBAT who run a persistent coop campaign every week and who profess to be half ex military and half teenagers who saw Who Dares Wins on TV once. Hopefully they won't be retards. Wish me luck.

Edit: I suppose I should add that the latest iteration of ACE2 is actually pretty good and stable, and everyone uses a radio mod called ACRE which interfaces with TS3 and is scarily awesome.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Well last night was my first 'proper' mission with the VCB "ArmA is Serious Fucking Business" crowd and it was actually a lot of fun.

It turns out that VCB are mostly made up of the Project UK horses mods who's work was so impressive that they were hired by Bohemia Interactive to develop their mods for the commercial simulator version of ArmA (VBS2). Which means of course that their mission server benefits from having access to all that Intellectual Property, making me very happy in the pants.

ACE2 is much more stable and less awkward to use in its latest iteration and much of the annoying interface fuckery has been worked around, meaning that from a purely gameplay point of view for a grunt I was spending considerably more time shooting stuff than wrestling with weird button combos.

The VCB clan missions themselves are interesting. They run them as a Dungeon Master lead dynamic campaign, wherein they have a limited amount of resources and the results of each weekly mission will directly effect the next. Last night the Platoon was dispatched to secure an HLS for resupply and then rescue some Battle Casualty Replacements who's helicopter had crashed.

Although compared to normal FPS games the pace is considerably slower for the build up, the fact there is no respawn and you have very strict teamwork and RL tactics means it flows well and you stay very focussed. There were a number of suprise ambushes, road traffic accidents, IEDs and navigational embarrassments to deal with on the way to the main objective to keep things lively and the final attack was a joy.

Much fun and a refreshingly different approach to the game.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

That sounds rather cool, I wish I had the time to get involved. I like the idea of GM led games - they combine a lot of the good things of P&P games with the good points of video games.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

That it does, and it's an interesting concept to apply to ArmA2. Until now all my efforts have been based around heavily scripted dynamic missions (such as the popular Domination game), but I'd never considered the possibility of a campaign of relatively simple missions with DM controls (on resources, number of enemies etc).

However, with the new mission design templates (both official and a recent incredibly easy but powerful third party one) it's very quick and easy to throw together some fun missions with little effort, together with enough random elements that even the mission designer is kept on his toes.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Having played a few games with thes guys now I must say I'm rather enjoying it, and it's certainly revived my interest in playing the game.

Sunday's op involved rescuing a UN compound that had come under fire from some Terry the Taliban in Technicals. Having valiantly fought them off we patrolled back to base only to get ambushed from behind. This led to a tactical withdrawal followed by a sweep through the neighbouring village - lots of CQB and OBUA work - whilst avoiding possible IEDs planted in dead animals on the side of the road. Much fun.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Just bought the PMC DLC, just because :)
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Fag. Considering you get most of it for free in the patch, you just paid 8 squids for some textures :ahoy:

Edit: admittedly chicks with guns textures. Mmm, boobies.