New season talk type thread thing.

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: New season talk type thread thing.

Post by spoodie »

Roman Totale wrote:Oh Game of Thrones, you abusive mistress you...
:ignore:

I trying to wait until the end of the season before I start watching. Already learned one major, early spoiler though and it's getting tougher to avoid them.

I'm really liking Silicon Valley. Reminds me of a more intelligent and better written Big Bang Theory. Not that I don't enjoy BBT, but it is flawed.

Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS3MGriZcs[/media]

You could apply this to most sitcoms and the result would be the same but the point is made.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Is it only me that doesn't give a shit about game of thrones? Not having a go just wondering.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Pnut wrote:Is it only me that doesn't give a shit about game of thrones? Not having a go just wondering.
Have you actually seen it Pnut?
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Nope, I don't like starting stories that might not have an end.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I on the other hand, really want to watch it, but our general viewing time contains a 12 year old, and sadly, it's not appropriate. :(
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Pnut wrote:Nope, I don't like starting stories that might not have an end.
The show will apparently have an ending no matter what, as the writer of the books disclosed to the people of the show what happens to all the characters. Spoiler: they probably all die.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Pnut wrote:Is it only me that doesn't give a shit about game of thrones? Not having a go just wondering.
I'm not particularly interested in it. I'm sure it's great and all, but I have no access to it and not enough time to watch it even if I did, so I've never bothered to find out anything about it.
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

Dog Pants wrote:
I'm not particularly interested in it. I'm sure it's great and all, but I have no access to it and not enough time to watch it even if I did, so I've never bothered to find out anything about it.
I was thinking about this yesterday and decided that whilst I probably won't watch the TV show, I will probably read the books. I find I get more engrossed in a book and thus forget about any spoilers (of which I know there are many (South Park did a trilogy of Black Friday/GoT episodes last year which were very good indeed but basically revealed the whole plot to me)) that I've heard through friends, family and colleagues.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

tandino wrote:I was thinking about this yesterday and decided that whilst I probably won't watch the TV show, I will probably read the books.
I would definitely recommend the books. I normally steer clear of fantasy novels because I find the constant wanking on about glorious heroes with silly names difficult to keep track of and utterly dull. The Game of Thrones books manage to portray a rich and complex world whilst still being easy to read and exciting. This is a special thing.

Its probably also worth mentioning that if you lack the time/inclination to sit down with a big book the Game of Thrones Audiobooks are quite excellent.

Back on topic: Anyone else had a watch of Penny Dreadful? Most succinct explanation: Imagine if the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film was a TV series, less "super hero team" focussed and not shit. Its a bit like Ripper Street with Victorian horror mixed in. Only watched a couple of episodes so far and it still finding its feet a bit, but its quite promising.

I have no fucking clue how Americans can understand Billie Piper putting on an Irish accent though. She might as well be sat there making gargling noises some times. If such a thing matters to you (I'm sure it will for some of you): Contains Billie Pipers Naked Jubblies.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Joose wrote: If such a thing matters to you (I'm sure it will for some of you): Contains Billie Pipers Naked Jubblies.
:w00t: Boobies!
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Apparently the not very good Top gear USA started again a few weeks ago, it's not very good, but it's better than top gear russia.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

New FX series Tyrant looks really good:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jMhJW7-HUs[/media]
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

So Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain started this Sunday and since I finished the first book and almost finished the second I thought it was probably okay to start watching without having to worry about spoilers.

The book started life as a tv series pitch by Del Toro but after being denied by studios he turned it into a book, written by Chuck Hogan. You can tell it was meant to be a series in how it was written, it's all very detailed so you have a very clear image of how the characters are and what they look like, which I feared would make me enjoy the series less.

However, it's only one episode in and I already can't wait for the next one. It felt a little cramped as they had to introduce a whole bunch of characters and set the mood for the rest of the show in one hour but I'd say they pulled it off quite nicely. It's worth noting that the pilot was directed by Del Toro himself in his familiar neon soaked fantasy style which will probably shift a bit as the series progresses and other directors come in. In Del Toro's own words:
Guillermo Del Toro wrote: "Basically I'm trying to do what I do in my movies which is to show it as a reality, but as a reality that is stylized. It's not like CSI or The Wire, it's real but it feels a little stylized. But the way the camera work will be is very realistic. We want to keep the camera very documentary even if the look of the show is not. The look of the show is very designed. The style of the camera and the storytelling will be very loose. It will evolve from that feel of reality, and little by little we want to evolve into more stylish, horror feel that requires smoother camera moves, more suspense and atmosphere-driven moments so it will be a mixture."
I was really fond of how vampires in the book are reduced to what they actually are; virus-carrying monsters, which is how I always saw them and was then disappointed when most fiction took it in the extreme other direction.

Here's a trailer:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_42rx8Dm6OQ[/media]
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I have just heard exciting news - Twin Peaks is being revived in 2016! It's not a reboot, instead it will take place in the present day. In the original series Laura Palmer actually says to Cooper "I'll see you again in 25 years..."
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Mr. Johnson wrote:So Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain started this Sunday and since I finished the first book and almost finished the second I thought it was probably okay to start watching without having to worry about spoilers.

It ended this sunday, and it was really very good, but I haven't read the book, so that may change matters
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

The book was typical pulp horror - enjoyable but hardly a classic. I can't imagine the TV series will have people up in arms about them "destroying the source material". I'll have to give it a whirl as it seems to have had good feedback.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

The series mostly stays true to the book but they changed some minor things for TV. I thought it was better than the book, actually.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

:above: What Mr J said. In the intense hours I'm working right now I've had time to fit in an episode of this here and there. I like the series more, but I will re-visit the paper form as it's been a while.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »