European PS3 has less functionality than US, Japan.

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

European PS3 has less functionality than US, Japan.

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

bit-tech wrote:Man, this is just getting ludicrous.

Not only are European PS3 buyers getting gouged in pricing terms - paying as much as 40% more for the console than our brethren overseas - but it turns out that European consoles are actually going to have less functionality, too.

How can this be? Well, in a bid to cut the cost of making the PS3, the hardware chips that enable PS2 backwards compatibility are being stripped out.

Stripped out.

The chips will be replaced with software emulation, with the result that backwards compatibility for European consoles will be, according to Sony, significantly less.
Moar!
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Go Sony! Make it not work with the PSP, too - I dare you.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

This is a depiction of what I believe is the manufacturing process for the PS3s:
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

Haha
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

A year or so ago, the idea of a PS3 really appealed to me. I've never been into consoles enough to approach "fanboy" level, but I've always liked the PSone and PS2, which is why I've just bought myself the latter. However, this is fucking ridiculous. If/when I get a "next-gen" console, I reckon it'll be the 360. However, PC will probably remain my preferred platform for a long time yet unless there is some substantial change somewhere.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

This makes no sense! Why -take something out- if it's already inside?

This may just change my mind... I'm quite keen on playing my old titles now and again.
MrGreen
Shambler
Shambler

Post by MrGreen »

By Maddox
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

TezzRexx wrote:This makes no sense! Why -take something out- if it's already inside?
<a href="http://www.eurofighter-typhoon.co.uk/fo ... php?p=4651" target="_blank">Maybe they were taking advice from the MOD?</a>
MrGreen
Shambler
Shambler

Post by MrGreen »

Dog Pants wrote:
<a href="http://www.eurofighter-typhoon.co.uk/fo ... php?p=4651" target="_blank">Maybe they were taking advice from the MOD?</a>
Just give them a pistol and a window, that only leaves the American Doom generation 'soldiers' and the French to worry about. :)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

MrGreen wrote:
Just give them a pistol and a window, that only leaves the American Doom generation 'soldiers' and the French to worry about. :)
Or maybe we could go back to the old days of chucking bricks, darts and grenades at the enemy a la 1914.
Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

It's taken some mighty creating writing to try and spin this well.
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/02/23/eur ... -forwards/
We should be thankful, apparently.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Really got to love Sony.

Glad I never got a ps1/ps2, otherwise I'd be doing my nut.

I truely do wonder how the pr guys will spin the sales in Europe on launch, as it'll not sell nowhere near as much as the ps2 imo, and probably less than the 360.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

buzzmong wrote:I truely do wonder how the pr guys will spin the sales in Europe on launch, as it'll not sell nowhere near as much as the ps2 imo, and probably less than the 360.
Probably less the the Wii, and you can't even buy them.

I expect the TV adverts to be just like the pic Mr Green posted, with a big Sony arse crapping PS3s all over Europe, then the tag line: "Eat it, bitches"