Sunday Symposium

News and important info, general banter, and suggestions for 5punk

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Sunday Symposium

Post by Dog Pants »

I've been thinking about how to get us all involved in some good, chunky, possibly controversial discussions. I reckon things are getting quieter because most of us don't have the time to make lengthy posts. That's certainly the case for me. On Sundays are a bit more chilled out though, so I was thinking of kicking off a bit of a series. Before I do though, I'm interested in how people find it easiest to respond. I'm assuming the forum, but posts can be read and forgotten about when you're just checking and don't have time to write anything. It would be handy if we could flag topics to appear as unread or something actually, remind us that we meant to go back. Anyway. A front page post is more visible, but most people aren't very comfortable with the Wordpress publishing, or don't look at the front page, or don't like commenting. Plus the logon bridge with user database is borked. So I dunno, both options require PHP fettling which I'm not qualified for or comfortable with doing. So any suggestions please.

Aside from the how, there's the what. Two things got me thinking about this: Kickstarter and goobergate. Both are things I wanted to talk about here, but are pretty hefty subjects. So I figured why not make a feature about that sort of discussion. Obviously we need more than two subjects though, so suggest away. It'd be great if it was free for everyone to contribute, whoever got in first on a Sunday with their topic of choice. People forget or don't have time though, so I'm happy to (expecting to) pick up loose subjects from here when nobody has offered anything up.

Any neurons firing from anyone? Any appetite for a bit of civilised discussion?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Re: Sunday Symposium

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

civilised discussion? I much prefer uncivilised discussion. :)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

We make exceptions for you.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:Obviously we need more than two subjects though, so suggest away.
Gun control?

*prepares kitten pictures*

More seriously: I like the idea, I enjoy a good debate. I would prefer the forum solution, as whenever I try and do anything with the front page it either shits itself, logs me out or tells me I am actually Tezz/Shada. I dont know why its those two, but it always seems to be one or the other.

It would probably be a good idea to lay some ground rules too, even though we are not particularly rulesy people. Just something along the lines of:

1) If you are in the debate thread, don't get personal
2) If you are in the debate thread, assume its not personal
3) Try and stay just about on topic

That would probably do.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Joose wrote:
Dog Pants wrote:Obviously we need more than two subjects though, so suggest away.
Gun control?

*prepares kitten pictures*

More seriously: I like the idea, I enjoy a good debate. I would prefer the forum solution, as whenever I try and do anything with the front page it either shits itself, logs me out or tells me I am actually Tezz/Shada. I dont know why its those two, but it always seems to be one or the other.

It would probably be a good idea to lay some ground rules too, even though we are not particularly rulesy people. Just something along the lines of:

1) If you are in the debate thread, don't get personal
2) If you are in the debate thread, assume its not personal
3) Try and stay just about on topic

That would probably do.

:above: But gun control will be hilarious.

I shall be taking the mumsnet stance. :)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I don't think the mumsnet stance is good for anything. I'm genuinely at a loss to predict whether they'd be for or against gun control. If it's American I'd say for, anywhere else against.

As for the logon thing, that shouldn't happen any more. I've removed the link between the front page and the forum because it was causing mischief, so they should be entirely separate accounts in theory. Unfortunately I can't find a new solution to re-link them.
Shada
Shambler
Shambler

Post by Shada »

if anyone talks about goobergate on 5punk i'll not gamerwait to gamergrate their face off. that turd's been left out in the sun for too long.

oh wait, civil discussion. hmm.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Don't worry, the topic subject of "Sunday Symposium: goobergate" would make it very easy for you to avoid. Although, without wanting to discuss it here, I agree that it's been flogged to death on Twitter.