Space Engineers

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Re: Space Engineers

Post by fabyak »

It's pretty bewildering at first, I had to grab Berk and Joose after being confused to tell me what I needed to do to do stuff
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Fab, is hoover yours? It looks awesome - I had plans to build a mahoosive miner along a similar vein but would make more sense to collaborate?
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

It's Joose's and indeed is awesome!
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

:D

It's not quite finished yet, there's a complex and half built series of gravity generators I need to set up yet. The idea is that the spherical gravity generator is turned on first, grabs a load of cast off rocks from mining, then the directional gravity is turned on and the spherical gravity is turned off. Hopefully this won't completely jam up the server like v1.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I bought this after fiddling with stuff over the free weekend. I like that you can save a local copy of the world running on the server, then load it locally and either smash up everyone's stuff or take it apart to see how it works.

I did the latter and dissected Joose's "puny" 9-drill Drillinator and made a glorious 20-drill version:

Eagle-eyed engineers may already have spotted the critical design flaw and (after adding a lot more generators) and firing up the drills, cracks began to show:

Heedless I headed blithely for the nearest assteroid to give it a good reaping, when there was a bit of an explosion and my 20-drilling rig went spinning off into space:

This was the last I saw of it:
(note me forlornly holding the welding tool)

Now I'd like to say that I knew right away what was wrong, but I didn't. I thought that perhaps the increased amount of drill bits were ripping apart the connectors holding them to the main body of the ship. I even went as far as to create a massive heavy armour front end for the ship with five clamping points. Sadly I'd secured that to the front of my ship against one of the cargo containers and as soon I moved the ship a fraction, the container popped like a balloon and the huge disk rolled down through the bottom of the asteroid and was not seen again.

I lay abed last night trying to fathom new designs and eventually gave up on sleep and fired up a local save game where my behomoth was still intact. At last I spotted the problem - my modular design meant that my front-facing thrusters were basically burning the crap out of and destroying my rig whenever I braked or reversed.

A quick shift around of the thrusters and a proof of concept was in order:

Hmm, it looks a bit puny there, doesn't it....
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Sleepless nights planning ever better spaceship designs?

~Yup~
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

friznit wrote:Sleepless nights planning ever better spaceship designs?

~Yup~
:above:

Also, if you think the old Drillinator is puny you should definitely jump on the server and check out the Drillamid :)
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Does anyone have the old save game for this btw? Now there's blueprints in survival would be great to get a copy of me boat.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

How does that work then? In creative it just spawns a copy of your ship. Does it give you a ghost version to fill in? It would be handy if it told you what materials you needed (and then spat the whole ship out).
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Basically yes. You see a ghost version which you weld as normal. Just means you don't need to place all the blocks down first. You can overlay the ghost on an existing ship for easy repairs too.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I bet you could use it to build a ship generator, with some station based welder cunning, maybe with pistons to support other sized ships, even if not you could certainly use it to knock out cheap ships at a rate of jesusfuck.