Android: Netrunner online

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

Android: Netrunner online

Post by Joose »

I have had a day of infinite boredom here at work today. Our office is being moved, so everything was unplugged, so I could do no work beyond responding to the occasional email (mostly involving me saying "Sorry, I can't do that, the office is being moved"). I did have an internet connection though, so I have spent a lot of time reading stuff. After I ran out of my normal things to read I started geeking all over Android: Netrunner stuff and discovered that it is apparently very playable using that online card game system OCTGN. Anyone fancy giving it a go some time?

I have managed to teach Grimmie how to play in a single game and me and Mrs Joose (who had never played anything like it before) managed to learn it from the badly laid out rule book alone, so dont be put off by how complex it looks. Its really not. Plus, there are bumloads of online tutorials available, including rather good officially created ones. Can I tempt anyone?

Warning: If you currently play Hearthstone, playing this will make you horribly aware of how shallow Hearthstone actually is.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Android: Netrunner online

Post by Dog Pants »

1. I would love to have a go at Netrunner.
b. I probably don't have the time.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

I'd probably be up for giving this a go.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Hurrah!

Watch this for an intro. Its called a "complete tutorial"; it isnt, but it covers everything you need to get started.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAslVfZ9p-Y[/media]
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

I'll give that a watch when I get home. That seems fairly straight forward, saying that I probably will watch the video again just before I play.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Me and Pnut have played a couple of games of this now, its really rather good (once you are used to the rather odd controls). I played a corporation that I have never played before: Weyland Consortium.

I love the way this game is so well themed. Just by reading a few lines of rules text and looking at a picture you get a really strong impression of what Weyland is all about. Namely money and guns. And money. Also bombs. One of their cards implies that an acceptable way for the corporation to deal with a single hacker is to carpet bomb an entire city block. "I'd like to remind the ladies and gentlemen of the press that several of the buildings damaged in the blast were owned by Weyland Consortium subsidiaries..." YES.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

It is good fun once you get your head round it. I think I need to read up on what the different hackers/companies do as at the minute I haven't much of a clue but I am defiantly up for another game or three.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Pnut wrote:It is good fun once you get your head round it. I think I need to read up on what the different hackers/companies do as at the minute I haven't much of a clue but I am defiantly up for another game or three.
Definately worth doing. Very simple terms:

Corps

Weyland - Big american military and industrial powerhouse. Big on making lots of money and doing meat damage
Jinteki - Japanese company into cloning and androids. In game they rely on traps and net damage.
Haas-Bioroid - Direct competitor to Jinteki, into robotics and bioroids (advanced androids). Has particularly nasty ice that can do brain damage (permanently lowering your hand size)
NBN - This is the news! Big media corp, like Fox News if all the worlds media was owned by Fox. Big on tracing and tagging.

Runners

Shapers - Hacking just to show off. Shapers have decent icebreakers and plenty of ways to get things in play for cheap.
Criminals - Hacking for profit. Money money money, so much fucking money.
Anarch - Hacking to mess with corporate rule. Includes many ways to break things.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »