User compatabilityification of home meeja serving.

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

User compatabilityification of home meeja serving.

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Right, I have a large amount of backed up media on the gonk, which I serve around the house to various devices, mostly using Serviio, and mostly streamed to XBMC, but there's a few consoles too, so there.

Anyway, we have a slight problem in that, obviously, with welshernet outside home streaming is an impossibility, so it's nice to put copies of meeja onto tablets and phones and the like, but I'm lazy so I don't want to have to actually plug stuff in, and I want to make it child/idiot proof.

So, I'm thinking web server, but obviously it's a bit overkill.

Any ideas?
deject
Berk
Berk

Re: User compatabilityification of home meeja serving.

Post by deject »

If you get a PlexPass, you can sync videos to various cloud services using Plex Cloud Sync. Not free by any means though.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

It's worth knowing I have 256k upstream, and 8meg down.

Cloud is pretty much unpossible :(
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:It's worth knowing I have 256k upstream, and 8meg down.

Cloud is pretty much unpossible :(
eurgh, yeah that's not going to work very well then. I don't have any good ideas for you then. :(
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Just to make sure I understand what you are trying to do: You have a bunch of media on the gonk and you want some nice and easy way to be able to copy things off it to phones/tablets to people can wander off and watch it without having to resort to streaming? So you want to end up with local copies of the media on the mobile devices, right?

I used to use Video Stream to do exactly this. Its primarily for streaming video from a media server, but you can select any video and create an offline copy of it. Seems to do exactly what you are looking for, but I've not used it for ages so I don't know if it still works like it used to. Also I don't know if its available for anything other than iOS.
Wiggy
5pork
5pork

Post by Wiggy »

I think VLCStreamer has an Android version.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Joose wrote:Just to make sure I understand what you are trying to do: You have a bunch of media on the gonk and you want some nice and easy way to be able to copy things off it to phones/tablets to people can wander off and watch it without having to resort to streaming? So you want to end up with local copies of the media on the mobile devices, right?
Yep.
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

On my ipad I use Buzz Player for non-apple compatible video, it has a network browser which you can use to copy over video files, or just stream them.
It plays most formats and the only restriction for HD video is processing power (My ipad 2 just about manages HD with local files)

Not sure if there are non ios versions though

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/buzz-pl ... 07039?mt=8
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

BTSync your media across all devices?

You'd have to split it up into separate syncs I'd guess, unless you want all your media on all the devices. Which probably won't fit on hand-helds. I sync up a folder with my essential files to my tablet, replacing Dropbox.