lurker needs some upgradez

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

deject
Berk
Berk

Re: lurker needs some upgradez

Post by deject »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:
deject wrote:As far as your SSD goes, I prefer going with the fresh install but just cloning you current drive shouldn't hurt anything.
IIRC you need to re-do the windows system assessment thing, else you'll have defrag on, trim off and a very, very dead SSD.
Possibly, but I'm fairly certain that Win7/8 are smart enough to detect SSDs automatically and make those changes,

Still though, I'd probably just install fresh anyways. A clean install of Windows is always nice.
bomberesque
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by bomberesque »

hi berkz!

Short version> ok, SSd fitted.

Long version>

first time round I went the lazy way (at least I thought it'd be the lazy way) and cloned the drive. this worked after a fashion but on resetting the register and BIOS to accept AHCI it wouldn't boot. I suspected the drivers so tried to download new ones from MS.com but none of them would install, I kept getting a "your system does not reach miinimum hardware requirements" pop up.

so, I bit the bullet and reinstalled W7. it still didn't set up AHCI by default but with the registry edit and BIOS setting I was able to get it to work. (shouldn't it have done it by default if that's what teh OS drive needs?)

Then the windows system partition was topped out and couldn't be extended because the main partition was adjacent. go go partition mover thing and after several reboots and much coffee that is sorted now

zoom zoom zoom super fast numbers. :w00t:

then overnight W7 does some automagic update thingy and then it stops booting again. turning the AHCI back off again stabilised the boot it but acc to benchmark the random read is about 1% of what it was when it was switched on :cry: . I can't really speak for RL performance as I spent the whole time cocking about with it rather than playing games. :ignore:

my MoBo is SATA 2 (not 3) so I'm restricted there. my BIOS is R1 (latest on GIGABYTE webby is R24 or something) ... so I was thinking about reflashing in the hope that this might clear the AHCI problem but scared somewhat shitless that I'll bake the whole thing and end up new MoBo shopping :faint:

The upshot>

so result is it feels faster than before (numbers for sequential read/write are roughly double the HDD acc to benchmark, random write is loads better but random read is marginal wrt HDD and about 1% of the number with AHCI switched on), I have bloody cavernous storage (OK, I had that before but it feels bigger now it's discrete) but ofc having spent the money I want to squeeze the performance that I can from the SSD.

oh, and Xcom is fun, also picked up the Banner saga (not tried it yet but looks very pretty) and Mirrors edge for a quid or something but it kept crashing and now won't start, which is a bummer as I enjoyed the tutorial (it crashed just as the sparring program started up and now won't start....)

anyhoo, off to the pyrenees for half term (mrs B gets the week off from the little darlings) so probably can't do much about it till I get back and not done anything about the GFX yet so prolly try to fix / break it some more when I get back
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

The Samsung 840 EVO 250GB is only £99 now

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-250GB-B ... ywords=ssd