Huh, Winamp is dead.

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Huh, Winamp is dead.

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Not really that much of a surprise, but it's been my go to app for all things musicy for a good decade or so now.
Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Additionally, Winamp Media players will no longer be available for download. Please download the latest version before that date. See release notes for latest improvements to this last release.
Thanks for supporting the Winamp community for over 15 years.
Sauce.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Re: Huh, Winamp is dead.

Post by TezzRexx »

That's a shame, the visualisations for it (both packaged and 3rd party) are second to none.

That said, it hadn't really been my go to player pretty much WMP 10 as I just preferred overall interface, and later its connectivity to Media Servers on the PS3, it just worked with little fuss.

Out of interest, what other still-active media players offer good visualisations?
FallenBlade
Mouse
Mouse

Post by FallenBlade »

Used to be my main player a good few years ago, so it's a little sad. But not used it in yonks.

Nostalgia:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKqKrH0O9yg[/media]
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Well that sucks, I only use winamp.

To reiterate Tezz, what other music players are there?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Just keep using winamp? It's not like it'll stop working, and plug-ins will appear for new formats.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

:(
I loved Winamp, used it for a long long time as my only music player, don't think I reinstalled it when I moved to 7 due to rarely listening to musics but it still served me very well indeed
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

I cant say I've used it since the days of windows 95.

Personally, I use mediaplayerclassic to handle playing the odd mp3 or video file.

If I want to listen to music properly I use my media server running Logitech Media Server, and the software client for it (squeezeplay) on whatever computer I'm sat at. If I want to watch video properly I use XBMC (again connected to my media server).

perhaps a bit OTT for non techies, but its not too hard to get set up, and all free.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Ive not used it for years either. Still strangely sad to see it die.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I still use it every day, admittidly with one of the old skins so it can shrunk down to a rather small bar, and I hardly ever update it, so to me, this sad news doesn't change much.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

buzzmong wrote:I still use it every day, admittidly with one of the old skins so it can shrunk down to a rather small bar, and I hardly ever update it, so to me, this sad news doesn't change much.
Come to think of it, I don't think I ever updated it either.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I still use it and will just carry on doing so, it's compact and I like the default skins, the version I have installed is from 2011.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Joose wrote:Ive not used it for years either. Still strangely sad to see it die.
This. I use Spotify for my music now. I can't be bothered downloading music and fannying about arranging it. I used Winamp for years though in the early 2000s.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Dog Pants wrote:This. I use Spotify for my music now. I can't be bothered downloading music and fannying about arranging it. I used Winamp for years though in the early 2000s.
:above:

For my sins I've gone through a iTunes stage as well. For me being sad about Winamp going is like being sad about ICQ going, which is probably still on-going, but you get the point I hope. It was 'of a time'.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Huh, well whaddayaknow.

Winamp isn't dead. AOL were trying to kill it, but they instead sold it on to Belgian company Radionomy who apparently are an online radio aggregator.

Could be quite good news.
Last edited by buzzmong on February 11th, 2014, 8:57, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I was going to reply with "haha, we fuck everything up, this is a fate worse than death" but apparently Radionomy is doing really well so it could be good news.