I apparently dont like shooters any more

Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

I apparently dont like shooters any more

Post by Joose »

Or at least dont like the shooters that are being made. My mission to try and make a non-spam post in every public facing forum on 5punk today has been buggered by the fact I just dont give a shit about any FPS at the moment. CoD hasn't been interesting to me for years, and seems to be on a mission to become less relevant to my interests with each released game. I finally realised that although I can accept that Beef is a good game, its just not something I will ever enjoy, so thats out too. Which leaves me with....er...wait, do FPS's that are neither CoD nor Beef get released any more?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: I apparently dont like shooters any more

Post by Dog Pants »

I wondered why you were posting so much. I thought we had a spammer at first, then I figured you were probably doing some testing so were bored shitless.

I find that I don't like single player shooters any more. I just don't get any entertainment from shooting computer people any more, and the stories aren't ever compelling enough to get me over that. You could probably extend that past the FPS genre I suppose. If there's something else to hook me, like Portal, then it stands a good chance. But then it's just FP rather than FPS.

Maybe the problem with the multiplayer shooters you're playing is that they're now so refined that they've become contrived. BEEF is BEEF is BEEF, just as COD gets iteratively worse every release. Chivalry has proven to be a wonderful diversion, although 'shooter' can be only loosely applied. We've enjoyed a few regular shooters lately because of how shit they are, but that's probably not going to sway your opinion. The only FPS I've played in years which I actually wanted to stick at was Planetside 2, because you can choose your battles, vary your game on your own terms by going somewhere else.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Gosh, what FPSomethings do I have on my list that've taken my attention recently?

I'm re-visiting Fallout 3 thanks to a healthy steam wallet and the Halloween sale, picked it and all the DLC up for 60p. Skyrim? Yeah, that's good for a few hours at a time.

I played Warframe for a little bit, and that's pretty good. It's like Mass Effect 3's multiplayer all condensed down. Speaking of, yeah. Mass Effect 3 was heaps of fun.

I dipped back in to Portal 2 and Half Life 2 (in preparation for the obvious HL3 announcement come on Gabe goddamnit hurry up) and they still stand up to gameplay satisfaction.

Sniper Elite V2's a nice little snipey tactical, stealthy distraction now and then, but I can only play it for a bit at a time.

I guess none of them are proper run-and-gun AAA shooter titles though, no. They've all got something to them that make them more than just a shooter, so maybe that breed is dying out on the PC? You remember when all sorts of games started getting RPG elements interwoven into their core, and now the F/TP-(A)RPG (phew) is a genre in itself. When I got my shiny new computer at the start of the year I finally installed CoD Blops and gave it a spin. I couldn't get past the second level without getting tired and frustrated with the hollywood cutscenes seizing my control or the quick time events. I uninstalled it and had massively delayed buyer's remorse.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

I've never made a secret of the fact that I find run and gun shooters inherently dull both in SP and MP. That is of course with the exception of ArmA2/3, which I still find enthralling when played as a (semi) serious business military simulator with 30 other bods doing our best to use proper tactics, techniques and procedures. It's seems terribly geeky for people who have only ever played COD drunk on a Friday night (ask Pnut and Berk, they both joined very briefly), but once you get your head around the fact we're not just a bunch of 16 year old walts but are using proper teamwork and tactics (most of the leadership are serving or ex military), it's actually pretty good fun and challenging, even against AI. No other FPS has that level of fidelity or 'credible reality' for me.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I enjoyed Dishonoured and Bioshock Infinite (the first part of the Rapture-based DLC unlocked/released* today) as both are more than your average FPS - for a while now it's taken that extra out-there element - or extra options and tactics in each fight for me to get genuinely interested in a game which basically places lot of things you must aim at with your mouse reticle and click on until they fall over. I have more than ten traditional FPS games I've fairly-recently bought in sales which I just can't summon the enthusiasm to get into.

Too few new titles are anything like as involving. Hitman had its moments, but Crysis (last I played being 2) just seemed a boring shooter with a few gimmicks. Stepping outside of straight FPS and into RPG territory with the titles Grimmie mentioned such as Fallout and Elder Scrolls is one recourse, as is just fucking around on any given street corner in GTA or Saints Row.

I think the problem's often motivation - when the gameplay lacks variance such that the only thing to look foward to is another type of gun and the story and setting such that you can't really be bothered to see what's behind the next bunch of bad guys - there's no reason to carry on.

* depending if you bought the season pass
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

The only real shooter I played and enjoyed recently is still red orchestra 2. It hits the right blend of feeling/looking "realistic" enough without being arma or cod which appeals to me. It's not pick up and play like most modern shooters and has a pretty steep learning curve before you get good at it. It still requires some coordinated teamplay to win but not the full-on "hardcore" military planning you would use in the aforementioned arma (or similar). Shooting another dude in RO2 really feels like an accomplishment, and getting 20 odd kills is a *a lot* of kills. You also get the most points from working together and scoring capture points, a sniper will probably end up with the most kills but not the most points as he always works alone. Another nice thing about this game is that it doesn't show your death count so you don't get bitching about how high you K/D ratio is. I'm super grateful for that and I think all score based shooters should do this.Other than that I don't think I've played any real pur sang shooters because I just don't enjoy them any more. So yeah, you're really not that weird Joose, we're just turning into old men.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Still playing PS2, I don't think I will be stopping that any time soo. Sadly that isn't a jump in and play game any more, you need to be able to read the map and pick the right fights for your play style.
Been playing a lot of TEEF recently and I really have not fucking clue what started it. I keep playing payload maps and it's a lot of fun setting fire to everyone.
I might buy Shadow Warrior when it appears in the sales, and probably the DLC for Bioshock Infinate and the last part of the Witches for Dishonoured (loved that game, far too short though)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Anery wrote: I might buy Shadow Warrior when it appears in the sales
50% off at the moment.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Also, waiting for The Darkness II, should be less than 7 quid if it goes on sale

Thats also on sale...9.99 is a bit steep for a game thats 2 years old I think.