Internet connection issues

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Internet connection issues

Post by Roman Totale »

Less than a full day after getting Infinity and I'm having problems. BT are adamant it's not there side, so before I get an engineer to look at my PC I'll run it past you bummers.

All lights on hub lit up and fine
Pinged Google - 4 packets sent, 4 received, no losses
Can't connect to any website with any browser or to Steam
When I run the windows connection diagnostic it says 'the remote device or resource won't accept the connection'
I've googled the above error message but the solution generally given (reset in internet options) hasn't fixed it
Anti virus scan clear

I was getting funny connection drop outs a while ago - from memory the message was something along the lines of 'the device doesn't have a valid IP config.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, bummers
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Re: Internet connection issues

Post by ProfHawking »

if you can ping google, it does sound like your internet connection is working at least in some format.
(pings use a different protocol to webpages, so it is still possible it is BT, but i have to say unlikely. It normally works or doesnt work at all)

Have you got any other PC/laptop/tablet/smartphone you can connect to the router and see if that makes a difference?

Have you checked there is nothing weird going on on the router? Can you get to the router's web config pages?

If you are feeling geeky, you can try to test connection using the command line and telnet client.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Firewall maybe? If it's blocking port 80 / 8080 that would prevent browser traffic. Although why that would be blocked is beyond me. Does Steam connect? Can you go online in games or other programs which connect to the internet? Do you have any jam?
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Wired or wireless connection?

Run a command prompt, type "ipconfig /all" then post the results.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Possibly a DNS issue - you can see 'the interwebs' but can't resolve any IP addresses. This often happens if you've recently moved to a new provider but kept the same router. Check the preferred DNS providers listed by BT (usually can find these buried in a FAQ) and if necessary set them manually in network settings in windoze. Then restart the router - most routers you need to keep them unplugged for at least 30s to restart fully.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

Do you have a control panel on your router that you can access (normally in the form of a webpage found by going to http://192.168.0.1 or something along those lines. A quick google said it might be http://192.168.1.254/ for BT) as like Friz says, I think it's to do with your router's DNS config but if google ping's okay then I'm not so sure.

Also, the internet said:

Code: Select all

Click on the offending device under 'Wireless Networks', and then on the page that comes up click 'Delete device'.

It may be that the HomeHub has somehow stored some wrong information about the device. That will make the HomeHub forget what it knows about that device, so when the device reconnects it may get a good connection.
http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/ ... d-p/701444
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Also, "ipconfig /flushdns" may help if it's a DNS issue.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Hate to state the obvious, but if you can ping Google by name, it's resolving okay and probably isn't a DNS issue (though, all suggestions above aren't unreasonable)

I'd test on a second device, ideally on a different platform.

Also, try going to a site by IP, say http://74.125.224.72/ (should be Google)

If that works, it's probably dns, if it doesn't, it's not dns, and it's more likely that you've not been activated properly, dunno about fibre, but usually disconnecting everything for an hour or 2 can horse a reset in the exchange.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Brief update:

Wired connection
Logged on to Hub, no apparent issues. Shows internet is working through the Hub, but I still can't connect to anything. Wireless devices have been deleted
Done a DNS flush
Confirmed I'm not using a proxy in internet settings
Unplugged and re-booted several times to no avail

Think it may be an issue with the adapter in my PC, but as I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about I'll probably call an engineer.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

Before you call an engineer out (an costly, and feeble coward's way out!!), can you borrow someone's laptop and see if it works?
if it doesnt work - router or BT issue
if it does work - its your PC

If its your PC, you can call a local fixyourpc geek to take a look but if you are feeling more adventurous you could do a little investigation yourself to try and work out if its hardware or software related.

This is what i would try if all the settings in windows seemed ok at first glance, and nothing else was apparently installed that could cause issues:

Download(/obtain) and burn to a CD a live linux disc, say Ubuntu live. Boot up from the CD drive, run it from disk without installing it.
If ubuntu sees your network card and connects to the web ok, you can be sure the issue lies somewhere within your windows install.
If ubuntu doesnt have drivers for your network card, or otherwise doesnt work, this test is inconclusive but it could be a hardware issue. At this point i would experiment with adding a new el-cheapo or spare network card to see if that made a difference.

If ubuntu did work ok and its your windows install that's causing the grief, I would attack once again the windows settings, network card settings, firewalls etc. confident that somewhere in there is the cause of the issue. Remember pinging works, so it must be something relating to web, ports, or tcp/ip in general.

I'd offer to take a look remotely, but that needs the internet to work in the first place :shakefist:
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Perhaps unsurprisingly it turned out to be an issue with the Hub. Shock.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

But it's fixed? We get our Roman back? :w00t:
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

W00t :likesitall: